Is this beyond repair?

nThePocket

So I came across this set of drums and both the floor tom and bass drum have identical cracks, and they look to be showing both inside and outside. Would I be able to repair both of these with some high grade, high strength wood glue and/or other materials.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 418
  • $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 377
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 370
Re: IS THIS BEYOND REPAIR...HELP HELP

A crack that has gone through all of the plies of the shell means that the drum was really hurt bad!
I can't see how the shell could be adequately repaired.

A crack that has gone through all of the plies of the shell means that the drum was really hurt bad!
I can't see how the shell could be adequately repaired.

My initial idea was to use an epoxy and a few high contact tape stripes, like the king used on drum wraps. I could always turn the drum around so the repaired side isn't visible.

I've seen Stan at ProDrum fix a bass drum hoop that was cracked perpendicular to the grain. And, although the finish could not be re-matched (it was stained), he managed to re-attach it and the hoop went back into service. I can see your shell simply being filled-in with wood filler on both sides, and sanded down smooth, possibly clear-coated to seal it, but that's what I would attempt. It'll be ugly, but it'll be repaired.

Do you have a picture of the bearing edge? Is it cracked all the way though? Or just the inner and outer plies?

If its cracked all the way though, the only way I see of salvaging it would be to add re-rings. Which would be more involved and costly than a different drum.

How about some West Epoxy and a 2" strip of fiber glass. Check first if the are round.

Might not sound as good as its peak, but I could see it reglued, filled, smoothed and sanded. The heads and the hoops will give it strength and keep the shape.

If they're cheap enough, buy them for the hardware, & put new shells on them. Ply shells are cheap. The only value in this shell is the finish, & that's screwed anyhow. As for repair, you're going to be constantly fighting this drum if you're relying on the heads & hoops to keep it round. Just stuffing some glue into the gaps won't offer much in the way of strength. The only way to repair this drum to a satisfactory standard (& frankly, I wouldn't bother) is to place accurate formers to the inside of the shell, glue the joint, then use multiple ratchet straps to force the two sides of the crack together, such that you get a total bond across the crack surface area.

Am I the only one to see the pictures and wish there were drum police to arrest the owner of these drums for gross negligence?

Just curious. How does the drum sound? Okay?

The picture makes it look like a floor tom, but I don't see any leg brackets so I assume it's a deep tom.

If someone sat on it or stood on it while it was horizontal or placed something heavy on it, etc, and all the plies cracked as a result it cannot be brought back to full strength. That is some serious abuse or accident, too. On the other hand if the drum's weight does not effect its shape or sound when set up I would wrap it and the rest of the set outside, and do a layer of veneer inside. That would give it back some strength and rigidity.

You can get a sheet of inexpensive veneer at Oakwood. Get the BFV (bubble-free veneer). Depending on the size of the set you might have enough in 32 sq' to wrap the whole thing and forgo a traditional wrap outside; if you want to stay with wood grain. Less expensive than plastic wraps, too, for domestic wood types. Exotic veneers cost more. Otherwise, like Andy said, just buy a shell from one of the parts merchants out there.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/index.html

http://pdgood.us/drumshed/suppliers.html

Back