Pearl Masters bsx, worth my money?

embos

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the Pearl Masters bsx line they can share with. I have an opportunity to upgrade and I wanted to see if its worth it. Any information is appreciated, opinions, thoughts, comments. Thanks,

More info. What are you up-grading from and how much are the BSX's gonna cost you. Sizes? How many drums? New? Used?

Hey Embos,

The BSX Masters Studio was introduced to the Pearl Masters lineup in 2006.
The BSX is made up of 6 plies of birch with a Delmar wrap.
The Delmar wrap is embedded with actual glass flakes.

These drums are definitely pro quality drums. The tone these drums produce is truly amazing.
Although, if you plan to gig with this kit, they are best mic'ed.
While their near-field sound is spectacular, they don't project as far or as loudly as their 6 ply maple equivalent.

Like Harry said, let us know some more of the details.

More info. What are you up-grading from and how much are the BSX's gonna cost you. Sizes? How many drums? New? Used?

They are used drums, 10, 12, 14, 16 inch, two years old and they've been "babied", $1300 bucks for the drums without the wrap around mounting system. No mounting system on the bass drum either so I'd need to do something about that. My old drums pearl forum that has had some good use. What do you guys think?

They are used drums, 10, 12, 14, 16 inch, two years old and they've been "babied", $1300 bucks for the drums without the wrap around mounting system. No mounting system on the bass drum either so I'd need to do something about that. My old drums pearl forum that has had some good use. What do you guys think?

Is there a bass drum that you left out, or is the 16" the kick? I'd pass, if the 16" is the kick. 16, 10, 12, 14. If the kit has a kick that you omitted, like (22), 10, 12, 14, 16, that's a better buy, but still on the high side. No hardware? RIMS are easy enough to come buy, but add cost to "you just spent $1300".​
My Yamaha Recording Customs (also birch drums) I just bought, 22, 12, 13, 16 and a snare, cost me $995. The floor tom came with legs, and the two rack toms had mounts, with the bass drum mounted double tom holder included. That's why I say $1300 is "a little" high. I'd show up with $1K in my hand, see if the guy takes it. Then go get yourself some RIMS.​

Is there a bass drum that you left out, or is the 16" the kick? I'd pass, if the 16" is the kick. 16, 10, 12, 14. If the kit has a kick that you omitted, like (22), 10, 12, 14, 16, that's a better buy, but still on the high side. No hardware? RIMS are easy enough to come buy, but add cost to "you just spent $1300".​
My Yamaha Recording Customs (also birch drums) I just bought, 22, 12, 13, 16 and a snare, cost me $995. The floor tom came with legs, and the two rack toms had mounts, with the bass drum mounted double tom holder included. That's why I say $1300 is "a little" high. I'd show up with $1K in my hand, see if the guy takes it. Then go get yourself some RIMS.​

Yes there is a 22" kick i forgot, my bad. Ya the mount is only 30 bucks, not too too bad. Then only thing about showing up with money is its 4 hours away, so if he doesn't bite thats a long drive for nothing. Any bargaining tips here?

Just offer them 1000, and explain you'd need to buy RIMS mounts+gas on a 4hour trip. If they take it they do it not then..well do you want it for the price they are asking? I'm sure they'd be happy to get near the asking price.

Just offer them 1000, and explain you'd need to buy RIMS mounts+gas on a 4hour trip. If they take it they do it not then..well do you want it for the price they are asking? I'm sure they'd be happy to get near the asking price.

Exactly. Offer him $1000. Over the phone. Or e-mail. He's either gonna say yes ... or no. This is where patience is key. A day has gone by already. Has he sold the kit yet? Probably not. Does he have any "other" potential buyers? If he says he does, then you need to worry. 'cause if he does, then it's first guy to show him the money, gets the drums. But if he's listed the drums, and has no bites, you have a little more "power" in the situation.​

I own a BSX kit in Bronze Glass and I absolutely love it. They're not quite my dream drums, but for what I paid, I can't complain. And they sound phenomenal. The kick drum is a cannon with a Powerstroke 3 and the toms have a nice full sustain. I have a bunch of videos on YouTube if you want to check what I do with them - www.youtube.com/dwsabianguy - though some videos will, of course, sound better than others.

I had a BRX 6ply birch kit. The 22"" bass drum was a power canon. Clear attack and low end punch. It will always be one of my favorite bass drums.
The MRX 6ply maple bass drum didn't bring the same punch and was lacking in comparison.

Back