Better than the original

I like Tool's "No Quarter" more than Zeppelin's. Flame away. I know I deserve it ;)

Speaking of "All Along the Watchtower," I probably like DMB's version more than Dylan's or Hendrix's. But maybe that's because it is always live or a live recording, versus dylan/hendrix being studio recordings.

I was recently listening to Les Claypool's Frog Brigade playing Pink Floyd's Animals in it's entirety live. I think I actually like it better if only for the sound quality. As a much as I love me some Floyd and for as much as they've pushed the envelope on production values, to me there's often something missing or a certain deadness in their studio sounds that makes me wish for something richer.

I'm not going to actively disagree with you because I haven't heard Les Claypool's version. With that said, I think the 'deadness' you describe is an active aesthetic choice with 'Animals'. It is a very dark album and intentionally alienating to some degree and I think that is emphasised by the production style. They also produced it at Britannia Row (their own studio) that had a lot less gear than they had beforehand so I think that stripped back approach was two-fold and entirely intentional.

'Wish You Were Here' certainly is a richly produced album. They were just making a break for the hills with 'Animals'.

Well, most of the covers the Beatles did in the early period 1962-64 were better than the originals. Which says a ton about their muscianship, et al.

Twist and Shout
Please Mr. Postman
Money (awesome Lennon vocal!)
Roll Over Beethoven
Shout
Til There Was You
Chains

Many more.

Well, most of the covers the Beatles did in the early period 1962-64 were better than the originals. Which says a ton about their muscianship, et al.

Twist and Shout
Please Mr. Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
Shout
Til There Was You
Chains

Many more.

Jackpot!

Otis Redding's cover of "Satisfaction" was much better than the original.

The Ramone's cover of "Time Has Come Today" was better than the original.

The Dead Kennedy's version of "Viva Las Vegas" was better than the original.

Just about anything Miles Davis covered was better than the original.

There are many examples.

Last edited:
The only one that comes to mind, and I'll probably get flak for it, is Dream Theater's cover of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. Done with a 7-string guitar, a bit faster, and there's loads more energy.

Faith no more's rendition of easy

And I don't like disturbed but their cover of Land of confusion is pretty cool. I might cop some hate for that. Oops!

All Along the Watchtower....Jimi's version vs. Bob Dylan's. I think even Bob himself would agree that the Jimi version blows his original away

Not an opinion shared by Noel Redding, apparently: though this may have been because he didn't play on the version on Electric Ladyland.

Something else I just thought of . . . the Metallica songs Orion and One were recorded by Rodrigo y Gabriela. Dunno about "better" than the original versions as their arrangements were very different animals, but very very good nonetheless.

I didn't know they covered that tune. Great playing as usual but IMO covering Joe Cocker is like covering Freddie Mercury - no one has that particular magic.
I know what you mean, but I don't think the unique individuality of the original overshadows the merits of the cover. That said, judged against the thread criteria, it may be a fail.

Here's another example. The same boys performing a much covered song, yet in this they bring a very different vibe to the party. I especially like the motion of the sprinkled percussion groove treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt94nXinWqs

Of course, Lukather's just the right guy to have on your team for a number like this :) Again, the bass guitar work is inspirational IMO.

Twist and Shout
Please Mr. Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
Shout
Til There Was You
Chains

Many more.

Don't want to start world war 4 or 5 or whatever, but I much prefer the originals of all of these except for 'Til There Was You' and 'Chains', I especially prefer the vocals from the Isley Brothers. I do think the Beatles really nail 'Mr. Postman', but I'm not sure it's an improvement over the original.

Nilsson "Without You" (Badfinger wrote and recorded the original a few years prior)

Turtles "It Ain't Me Babe" (Dylan's song from a few years prior)

UB40 "Red Red Wine" (Neil Diamond, apparently he breaks into their reggae version in concert!)

Monkees "I'm A Believer" (Neil Diamond)

Urge Overkill "Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon" (Neil Diamond... hmm, I see a pattern here)

Bermuda

yes. better than the original is a bit of a testy term, but i think i understand the gist and will play along.

Tanya Tucker's "Not Fade Away" blows away any other version i've heard. as does
Smith's - "Baby It's You", Helen Reddy's versions of lots of covers that she has done, including "I Don't Know How To Love Him". i prefer the pop single version of "Pinball Wizard" (can't remember the group). just about every cover Polly's groups have done (Cold Turkey, The Thrill Is Gone, I Put A Spell On You, The Kinks' One [Lazy Sunday - whatever the title is]. Cold Turkey is just pure awesomeness, and should be included on some movie soundtrack.. Anne Murray's "Just One Look" and "Daydream Believer".

James Taylor's "Handyman" is very special. ironically lacking the braggadacio and bravado'd delivery of the original, the contrast of the mellow arrangement and heartfelt delivery almost make one forget what he's actually talking about. Leah Kunkle (sister of Cass Elliott and ex-wife of Russ)'s backing vocal is wonderful. marvellous track.

UB40 "Red Red Wine" (Neil Diamond, apparently he breaks into their reggae version in concert!)

Monkees "I'm A Believer" (Neil Diamond)

Urge Overkill "Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon" (Neil Diamond... hmm, I see a pattern here)

Bermuda
I guess that's you off the list for the next ND tour then ;)

Turtles "It Ain't Me Babe" (Dylan's song from a few years prior)
Bermuda
Let's face it, any cover of a Dylan song is an improvement ;)

Keep It Simple said:
Let's face it, any cover of a Dylan song is an improvement ;)

Careful Andy, careful! I have a particular affection for Dylan and actually think his original version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is better than the overwrought Hendrix version. Anything from 'Blood on the Tracks' would be impossible to improve upon.

yes.

For the most part, but Dylan's own versions of the following are probably best (though I can't say I've heard many/any covers of them..)

The Times Are a Changin'

Rainy Day Women 12 & 65 (or whatever #s)

the video of the song with the person and the flashcards w/lyrics on them..whatever song that was (yeah my Dylan knowledge is bad)

Huge live sound, huge soul, epic stadiumesqueness, great BV's, brutally over performed = Andy loves it :) :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykM3tTV6BpE

If you've got good phones, just listen to what the bass's doing - yummy detuned goodness!

Agreed, awesome cover, one of my fav song on the live album :)

I didn't know they covered that tune. Great playing as usual but IMO covering Joe Cocker is like covering Freddie Mercury - no one has that particular magic.

Agreed again, but the "original" is by an obscur bloke called Ringo Starr, which of course, I like the version, but it's easier to cover Ringo than Joe or Freddy :)

Here's another example. The same boys performing a much covered song, yet in this they bring a very different vibe to the party. I especially like the motion of the sprinkled percussion groove treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt94nXinWqs

Of course, Lukather's just the right guy to have on your team for a number like this :) Again, the bass guitar work is inspirational IMO.

Equally good, hey, the Beatles influenced everybody, except DMC, of course :)

I like this one they did from good old Stevie, not better as such, but different, I like both versions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFR9g_YHPg

I'm not going to actively disagree with you because I haven't heard Les Claypool's version. With that said, I think the 'deadness' you describe is an active aesthetic choice with 'Animals'. It is a very dark album and intentionally alienating to some degree and I think that is emphasised by the production style. They also produced it at Britannia Row (their own studio) that had a lot less gear than they had beforehand so I think that stripped back approach was two-fold and entirely intentional.

'Wish You Were Here' certainly is a richly produced album. They were just making a break for the hills with 'Animals'.
Good points. Generally what gets me down about most Pink Floyd productions is the snare sound. Shallow of me, I know, but I just can't seem to like Nick Mason's taste in snare tuning. So when I heard Les' drummer cracking away on a nicely tuned, wide open Black Beauty, I was like, "That's it!" But there's also something about the ambiance of the live recording that appeals to me as well.

Back