Db 60 vs. Tama rhythm watch

Jon B

hi all! i need a metronome to practice with (im in drum line and like to work on set stuff with a met every now and then and only have a online met) and i cant afford a db90 (as much as i would love one) and these two mets caught my eye. Which is easier to use? which is more practical? Which is the better value? Is there any feature one has the other doesnt that stands out as a "wow" factor? Keep in mind this is a metronome for a drummer, so it doesnt need all the fancy tuning features, ect. any help is great!

Havn't used the DB60, but the Rhythm Watch is great. Tap function is cool. The dial is easy to use, no need to fiddle with small buttoms. Tons of pros use it and have been for many years. The DB90 is king, but its overkill for most, and its 2x the price.

Do you have a smart phone? Five dollars will get a metronome app that runs circles around even the DB90. I have a Rhythm Watch, a DB90 and a Yamaha Clickstation. The actual metronomes might be a little easier to adjust because you have big dials and sliders to move as opposed to a little touch screen, but an app like TempoAdvanced or Polynome has a ton more features for a fraction of the money.

i dont have a smart phone, thats why im looking for an actual metronome

In that case, I would go with the Tama. It's easy to use and works fine. If it's memory held more songs, it would be the only one I would use. Unless you need to program more than 30 songs at a time, which I do at times, then it's great. The DB's have some cool features but are a little harder to use. The dial controls everything, and all the buttons do are select what adjustment, (voice, tempo) the dial is going to change. I get frustrated sometimes when I try to change the tempo on my DB and it starts cycling through all the different voices.

i dont know if this really helps, but the reason i chose these two mets is because they both have the ability to subdivide (8ths, 16ths, ect) Is one better than the other at this?

I have and like the Rhythm Watch, but I only use it when traveling. I prefer the metronome built into my epad (Roland RMP-5).

If I had to buy them all over again, I probably wouldn't, and would just use drum machine software (I always next to my kit). Hydrogen is very good and free (http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/ ignore the part about "for linux", they have windows and mac builds too).

They can be easily programmed to do anything a normal metronome can do, and more than most (silent measures, speed up/slow down, etc.).

i dont know if this really helps, but the reason i chose these two mets is because they both have the ability to subdivide (8ths, 16ths, ect) Is one better than the other at this?

They are both the same as far as subdividing goes. The Tama has little wheels while the DB has sliders. Out on the field with a drumline, the sliders might be easier to change then the wheels on the Tama, but if it's just you at home practicing, I prefer the Tama.

on the feild we use our db90s, so its for home
well, it sounds like the tama is the way to go, thanks all!

Is either of these metronomes loud enough to use with a loud band?

I'm currently bringing my laptop to practice and using a free metronome app on it, but it's kind of a PITA adjusting tempos and it doesn't have a tap function. Also, I have to run the signal into my mixer so I can get it loud enough in my headphones.

These metronomes seem much more easier to use that an app on my PC, but if I'm going to shell out the dough for a metronome, I'd hope to not need my mixer just to boost the volume.

but the reason i chose these two mets is because they both have the ability to subdivide (8ths, 16ths, ect) Is one better than the other at this?

All metronomes subdivide to 16th notes mate. Even the cheap ones. How can one subdivide "better" than another? A 16th note is a 16th note....in any language. All metronomes are fine to practise at home with. The more you pay the more bells and whistles you get is all. You just need to determine what 'extras' you actually need.

Hell, I have the DB-30 and have been happy with that......there's really nothing it can't do that I actually need just to practise with anyway. Both of your choices are better than that one and both of these are gonna do what you want them to do. Flip a coin, because both have pretty similar functions and both are "good". Honestly, don't overthink it. As long as it goes "beep" when you want it to, it's fine for practising to.

Is either of these metronomes loud enough to use with a loud band?

DB60 - No way.

Rhythm Watch - Yes. It would be deafening at it's max (assuming you aren't already half deaf!) . There are a few things that I really don't like about it but if volume is what you need then the RW should do the trick. Give it a go in a store first though, just to make sure.

Back