Snare Wires

Hey there, I was wondering what kind of snare wires you guys prefer. I am thinking about getting some 42 strand wires for my 8x14 Performance Series snare. I am hoping to get some feedback from you guys, because I have no experience in the wire department lol.

No experience with big number strand snares, but I've used puresound equalizer 16 strand, and custom 16 strand, and they're pretty sweet. Probably get a great sound with any of puresound or fat cat wires unless you want to spend a lot for drum manufacturer wires like dw or sonor. Although tama and pearl are affordable for the most part. Hopefully somebody else knowledgeable chimes in!

You want to find snare wires that have the ability to fasten with string, and a angled clip if you have no, or shallow snare beds.

Generic 20 strand Gibraltar ones work great. The puresound blasters are actually very sensitive as they are longer than most 14" wires by about half an inch.

Hey there, I was wondering what kind of snare wires you guys prefer. I am thinking about getting some 42 strand wires for my 8x14 Performance Series snare. I am hoping to get some feedback from you guys, because I have no experience in the wire department lol.

If you want 42-strand wires, then make sure your snare bed is wide enough to accommodate the extra size. Otherwise you'll end up losing sensitivity and choking your snares.

Hi,

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Mf16E48KU

It is a bit of a sales pitch at times but it is very helpful.

He seems to have a bias of less wires but Puresound offer 20 (standard), 24 and 30 wire models and other exotic choices. 42 wires does seem like overkill (as he says) - 24 wires can give you that extra "snap" if that is what you are looking for. The 30 strand model will make your snare very sensitive and crisp.

I seem to prefer 24 strand, tight coil, chrome plated snares with string and rivets on the holes to keep the string from breaking.

The differences aren't something I put too much thought into, but I like the snare sound of above.

I think you forgot to mention why you are interested in those snare wires. I went the oposit direction , I cut my wires to 10 strand , to have more body and shell tone and less snare sound and buzz. in fact , i evean have a 6 strand snare wire , but I don't like it. For me is 10 strand for wood snares and 8 for metal snares.

I think you forgot to mention why you are interested in those snare wires. I went the oposit direction , I cut my wires to 10 strand , to have more body and shell tone and less snare sound and buzz. in fact , i evean have a 6 strand snare wire , but I don't like it. For me is 10 strand for wood snares and 8 for metal snares.

I saw a drummer on Instagram post a picture of his 14x8 Performance, and I noticed he had 42's on it. So i asked him about it and he said that with 42's, the drum cuts quite a bit more. I was thinking about getting a new reso head anyway so I figured I might as well try out some new wires while I'm at it.

I use Puresound 20 0r 16. Tried the real wide once. If you have any buzz issues they will be magnified. As was said, you need wide snare beds for those.

There was a video posted recently that tested 37 different sets of wires on the same drum, in conjunction with an article in Drum! magazine

About 4 stood out as being somewhat noticeably different from the other 33

I bounced around the vid (cuz its pretty long) and didn't notice any real difference in the 15 or so sets that i heard, tho' i'm sure they're there

Good space to save some money

I knew nothing about wires other than what I read, but I wanted to try Brass wires. The high cost from Sonor really was putting me off. As an experiment, for less than $16 USD delivered, I ordered a set of PureSound Custom Pro Brass Snare Wire 24 Strand, 14 Inch through Amazon. I can tell you after putting them on I was completely blown away by the result!

Hello all! I'm new to the forum (and a passionate, though inexperienced, young drummer). I was thinking about replacing the snare wires on my Tama Swingstar (Steel, 14"x5.5") and was doing some internet research when I found this page:
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/majestic-prophonic-snare-cable/snare-drum-snares
I wondered if anyone here had tried any off the more exotic snares that are listed there. I'm really curious about the glass beads, synthetic gut, and cloth wires, but I can't seem to find any videos or reviews that showcase them. What kind of "sonic texture" should I expect from them? What kind of applications are they appropriate for?

Thanks (in advance) for your time and input!

Back