The legendary Steve Gadd

When all my dime dancing is through I will drum for you. The person who might not play music but will dig what I’m doing.

You have to feel the music, or your passion, self medicate, learn new things, shed old skin and live to see the beauty of your palette.

My guest today is an all time great both in the studio and playing live. He learned this from cats like his peers Gap Mangione and some Sing A Long Junk from Paul Simon playing those South African rhythms swinging the band burning inside.

Maybe it was down on the lower east side playing with Herb Bushler and Joe Farrell going for this time across the Atlantic for a concert in Europe. Playing Post Hard Bop with modal magic that continues with all his friends who have gigged, jammed and communicated, Michael Urbaniak in the funk factory or playing along side Jimmy Madison in a black jazz…with horn arrangements and a great blend of Rock music with jazz aesthetics.

Ultimately when my wife was pregnant with my second daughter and I kept listening to the title track of Steely Dan’s AJA the epic build between my guest and Wayne Shorter willed me to name her Aja. We named her after the song my guest drummed on. Oh and they did that in one take.

It could be a big White Elephant with
Warren Bernhardt, loft sessions, playing with Richard Tee or a Penny Arcade with Herb Bushler. Drum drops from the lap of Creed Taylor, Symphonic Soul with Hubert Laws

When all my dime dancing is through I’ll drum for you Steve Gadd welcome to the JFS.

http://www.jakefeinbergshow.com/2014/08/jfs-189-the-steve-gadd-interview/

Indeed!

Steve is closing our Jazz Fest this year and they're pitching it as a 70th celebration since it's at the school he graduated from.

I have my ticket in hand for a right down front seat. Can't wait!

Thanks for all of the links. Keep 'em coming too :)

One of the first more "tricky" grooves I learned was that "50 ways" , I'm sure for others too.

Saw Steve playing in Stockholm at the weekend with his band playing songs from his new album '70 Strong'. First time I have seen him live. They had a great sound and Steve certainly doesn't seem to be slowing down with age- some great high energy fills on display.

Plus I managed to shake his hand at the end which was great!

IMAG0468_zpsttoweuac.jpg

IMAG0469_zps6nhxpxwn.jpg

My fave tune from the set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPoChd8iXU

Last edited:
Happy 70!

Rubbish drummer, tough. No chops or dynamics and couldn't groove his way out of a paper bag. No wonder no one wants to hire him!

Seriously though ... I recently bought his Gadditude album. Fave tracks are Africa, Cavaliero, Green Foam and Scatterbrain. First track Africa is especially outstanding with some Miles-ish moments and some crazy cool changes in Green Foam.

Happy 70!

Rubbish drummer, tough. No chops or dynamics and couldn't groove his way out of a paper bag. No wonder no one wants to hire him!

Seriously though ... I recently bought his Gadditude album. Fave tracks are Africa, Cavaliero, Green Foam and Scatterbrain. First track Africa is especially outstanding with some Miles-ish moments and some crazy cool changes in Green Foam.

I recently got "Gadditude" as well, and last week followed up with their latest "70 Strong". If you liked "Gadditude" you'll find "70 Strong" just as pleasing..

Dutch

Happy Birthday to Dr. Steve Gadd, 72 years young today. All the best.

Shame on you Mr Moderator! Celebrating a pizza delivering, salt juggler on a drum forum. See, this is why we can't have nice things, Im telling mom. Happy bday to the master!!

Damn that was great. Loved the tone of his (Rogers?) kit too, made me wanna run downstairs and tune my toms higher. Is it really 1970? Pretty funny to see him there all trim in uniform, and then see him 2 years later as studio guy, longer hair etc.

Finally got to see Gadd last night with Chick Corea. He's been at the top of my drummer bucket list for quite some time now. (Next on the list is Vinnie, who I will see in just a few days with Herbie Hancock.) Gadd was so great! I just love the way he plays. By the way, he played matched grip pretty much the whole time, with his left hand low, down at thigh level, with a sort of a french grip, thumb on top, thing going on.

Back