A decent direct- or belt/strap-driven single pedal?

Schwartz

Hey Drummerworld! I'm a long-time browser of the site but I've finally registered to the forum for this particular question...

I played drums all through middle and high school, and up until my older brother moved out of the parents' house a few years back (taking his gorgeous Ludwig and Pearl sets with him...). However, I'm picking up the Roland TD-4K electric kit in a few days and it doesn't come with a pedal.

The only types of pedals I've played before were chain and belt driven, and I'm absolutely against the chain ones, but I've heard good things about belt and direct. I'm just wondering if any of you have a few good picks, maybe your top 3, for one of these types for under $100.

Thanks in advance for the input!

To play on an old saying, unfortunately "decency is in the foot of the beholder". If you scour through some of the threads in this sub-forum, you'll note that the options are as wide and varied as the guys playing them.

Direct drives offer a completely different feel to a chain or strap driven pedal. The best advice I can give is to get your feet on several before making your mind up. They tend to have a much lighter feel to them that not everyone likes. Strap driven pedals are closer in feel to a chain driven, than they are to direct drive IMHO.

I also think your budget is going to somewhat limit most of the 'favourites' or 'frequently recommended.' 100 bucks doesn't seem to buy much in the world of direct drives. A better approach would be to get into a drum store, play as many as you can and then look for second hand models within your budget on ebay.

The Gibraltar Intruder and Mapex Raptor are both priced at $110. Both are direct drive and are very good pedals for the money. The Gibraltar has a strap version as well.
I would still recommend trying out all the top pedals out there - Iron Cobra, DW 5000, Pearl Eliminator, Yamaha, etc. All can had well under $100 second hand

I have a Yamaha pedal that's convertible from a chain drive to a belt drive and for the last couple of years, I've been using the belt. Like all Yamaha products, it's built great and performs even better. Other great belt drive pedals I've used are the Tama Cobra and DW. I also use the chain and direct drive pedals and never had any problems going from one to the other. If I were you, I would try them out and see what is the best for you.

BTW, with your budget of $100, you might have to go with used. The least expensive belt drive single pedal is about $140 USD.

Dennis

Back