Pat Petrillo here!

Hey, Joe (great name for a song : )

Man, thanks very much, and I am so glad you dig "H,G&F". It's for guys like you that I created this package, to open new doors, and show some new ways of phrasing grooves, creating fills, and developing hand coordination

As for the heads, they are Remo Clear Emperors on top and Clear Dips on the bottom.
I usually use Pinstripes or Emperors.

Stay encouraged! Also, please vote for "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" in the Modern Drummer Readers Poll under Method Book!

Thanks

Pat

Haha thanks! I get "Hey Joe! Where you goin' with that gun in yo' hand?" [Jimi Hendrix] more than you'd think! I just wanted to ask another question: Many drummers think the Powersonic is waaaaaaaaaaay too dead. Seeing that it is your bass batter head of choice, what would you say to these people?

Hi Pat!! It's so great to be able to talk to you! I have been using your book and DVD for the past 4 months or so.. and it has helped me improve my drumming more than anything else :) If I had the chance I would go to one of your clinics, but I live in New Zealand -When are you coming here?!!

Anyway, a question about double strokes: you mention in the book that you don't 'pull' the second stroke, but the way my teacher has taught me is to use a 'push-pull' technique i.e. using the fingers to pull the stick towards the palm to create the second stroke. However I find that this way of doing doubles really strains the tendons on the back of my hand. So could you please explain to me in more detail how to do a proper double stroke roll? Thanks.

Btw I have never seen a drummer who can groove like you do on the DVD.. the musical performances are awesome! You're the best :)

Reuven

Rueven

Thanks so much for the kind words, and glad you dig "H,G, & F".

I regards to rolls, I do NOT "pull" the second not, as I feel it makes the roll sound forced and uneven...I've never tried or have been taught to do that, ever..SO, as I mention in the DVD, you should aim for creating to open & even bounces by RELAXING the back fingers, not PULLING them. Using the forearm. push the stick down and let it bounce, allowing the second note to bounce up evenly. It's important you do not hit the first stroke too hard, because thats when the roll will sound "top heavy", like an accented first note. Try to achieve even bounces practicing the roll exercise in the Book.

That being said, it's not important that each not be "exactly the same" when executing a roll. Thats really over rated. The roll should flow and have a lightness to it, and the second note will always be a little under the first, thats just natural. Aim for equality without forcing the notes in...bounce them..Hope that helps!

Pat

DTrocks

Thanks very much! Those aren't my drums, however. Those belong to the Institute..

Glad you dig it so much.

All the Best!

Hey, guys

Some new video from my recent clinic tour in the UK at The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrcZ-1RU3dI

This school is excellent, and I highly recommend it..

Great stuff! I love the groove on the track you play along to. It has a feel I'm particularly fond of but have always found difficult to pin down. I can remember trying to get the groove right on The Bands "Rag Mamma Rag" with a covers band I played in many moons ago and just couldn't get my head round that "sort of" half time feel and the impression that some of the musicians are playing, straight some of the time, whilst others are swinging it, some of the time, in no particular order. Little Feet are another band who pull it off with ease and many of the early rock n roll songs also had a similar straight/swung feel . Wonderful stuff.

Pywacket..

Thanks, man, it's a groove I love laying down, and it's really a feeling of "in the gaps" that can be achieved by taking the swing, and "opening up" the beats, so they have a little more space..I liketo call it a "lilt"..

I grew up listening to lots of those records, Earl Palmer with Little Richard, Professor Longhair, etc..and even today I love Zydeco and things of that nature.

The track I am playing to is James Booker, piano only, no rhythm section..and you can really here the feel in the piano, so I just lock to that, and have a good time :)

Be on the lookout for the CD in the Fall! LOTS of grooves, like this one!

All the Best

What a great description of an inspiring feel. "Lilt" Says it all! I defy anyone not to foot tap to it.

I remember playing the classic Johnny B Good in a rock n roll outfit and recieving compliments from some real Berry fans for following the bass with four on the floor with a swing hat across the guitarists straight racka racka. Felt ah.......authentic. Yep that would describe it and what a buzz to play.

I'll definately keep an eye out for that cd!

Last edited:
Pat, I love all of the fantastic clips at your DrummerWorld page:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Pat_Petrillo.html

Awesome playing... amazing, blazing chops, WITH killer groove!

One thing on your instructional videos that particularly helped me personally was where you discussed that we should use our arms / wrists / fingers ALL TOGETHER. And that there is very little muscle in our wrists... it's mostly tendons and bone in our wrists. That helped me make a clearer mental picture about what's going on bio-mechanically, and helped me with playing more smoothly.

Just wanted to say thanks! :)

byronand

Wow, thanks so much, man, it means alot, and I'm SO glad it's helped you. I think the flow of the mechanics is really a natural thing, and not too complicated, but with all the talk about "Moeller this" and Moeller that", drummers forget that Moeller was a MAN, not a TECHNIQUE, and he was just telling people to play relaxed and use natural rebound..

Another analogy I use is...You can't really tell somebody how to walk..Meaning.."OK, turn your ankle now, then, roll your foot, now, bend your knees"...It happens naturally because of physics and gravity, and the way things are connected...!

Also, the groove stuff has been my thing since I was a kid, and I just always listened to records, and played from my heart. Can't really describe it, but again, it comes out because of the music I listened to.

Thank you for your kind words

Hey, Everyone

Just a heads up, for those of you interested in my P4 Signature Practice Pad, you can now order it thru Cascio Interstate Music ! It's the world's First Multi - Level Practice Pad.

Here's the link:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...1&storeId=10051&productId=900228086&langId=-1

Each surface has a different rubber for unique feels and sounds. The levels help develop hand independence and creativity. It measures 11X11, it fits in a standard snare basket, and it's Made in USA.

The bottom level is a specially designed rubber that feels very natural, not too bouncy. The middle level has a harder neoprene rubber, plus a softer, grey rubber for less bounce, similar to a floor tom. The top level has a hard red rubber, similar to the feel of a ride cymbal. The base is a light weight mdf material, which is lighter than the HQ or Vic pads. It has a real "old school" look, with a modern twist.

Work your ride, high hat, or cascara pattern on the top pad, and use the lower levels to practice various snare and tom orchestrations. Or for an extra workout, use the soft pad for less rebound. Playing singles from the top level to the bottom level is real workout.

It's versatile, practical, and makes practice FUN ! You'll dig the different sounds each pad produces, and it's like playing a mini drum set.

Thanks very much for your interest. Shipping is worldwide.

Attachments

• P4Pad2008NUGREYresize.jpg
    P4Pad2008NUGREYresize.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,798
Last edited:
Just stopping by to let u know Mr. Petrillo that your DVD looks fantastic and i am picking it up as soon as i can get my mom to allow me to work up some extra allowance...the reviews ive heard are fantastic and i cant wait to start working with it once i get my hands on a copy....u are a great drummer and a great teacher...keep it up

Hey, Tyler

That's cool, and thanks for the kind words my man! I think you will enjoy it and it will take your grooves to a new level, and give you some creative fill ideas. Also, you will really start to put some rudiment combinations together with some fun phrasing using the Rudiment TAB system.

Let me know how it turns out!

All the Best

I hope Pat posts pictures of his new Ludwig kit soon! Such a nice finish and the hardware is great too. The sound..... is the best part. That classic Ludwig sound! When Pat first brought them to his lesson space, he was tuning the 14" floor tom... and he hit that perfect tuning spot.. That thing can blow doors off their hinges!!! HAHAH, right Pat? I loved it.

Since Pat has two kits in his lessons space now, he gets to play along with his students when he teaches. It's such a great experience and I'm very happy to play along with Pat! Who gets the chance to do that every week???!!!

Shamless plug for Pat's upcoming DVD, Learn to Read Rhythms... it's gonna be great!

Dom

Back