new transition..good or bad?

little_drummer_boy

so today i found out that my highschool drumline is switching from traditional to matched because there wont be any returning snare players....opinions on this? i disagree with it big time. not to happy about it either. i have a 99% chance of making the snare line this up coming year too.

I don't know how many responses you'll get. There's not a big corps population here. Back when I was in high school (haha, only 2 years ago) Our line made the switch. Technically, it makes more sense when it comes to power and control, especially if your snares aren't tilted.

I think a huge part of marching band is image, and personally traditional grip is visually more powerful, and adds to the whole "badass" vibe that is popular with modern drumlines. So yeah, bum's rush on that one.

HOWEVER minor visual things are icing on the cake. To a judge, a clean line is more important than looking cool. Chances are your instructor or drum tech, whoever made the decision thinks that kids these days are more comfortable with matched and will be able to perform better that way.

Back