Longest amount of time you sat at your kit and not played anything?

MrPockets

Gold Member
I usually have a laptop next to me when practicing so it can go up to ten minutes.

Re: longest ammount if time you sat at your kit and not played anything?

I usually sit there silently while the rest of the guys set their gear up (I'm usually all set up before everyone else)

I am a guitarist, as well, and it is always infuriating when I am trying to set up, tune, or communicate with the other members, and the drummer is just pounding away with not a care in the world.

Ten minutes is usually about how long that runs

I usually have a laptop next to me when practicing so it can go up to ten minutes.

Same situation for me too, really. Or I'll get a text I have to reply to. If this leads to a string of texts then I'll start getting annoyed and just ignore everyone...

Tcolumbia37 - I'm fairly disciplined with my bashing at practise as I find it annoying too when I see other people do it (even at gigs!).

But I think guitarists are possibly even worse than drummers, trouble is, they start playing a song, unrelated to anything you are going to do and they think it's a performance where everyone is listening to them when really we are all just trying to burn their head off with intense lazer-stares until it stops.
Or they solo endlessly. Even worse, if you have 2 guitarists they'll either battle OR solo over each other.

If you add a bashing drummer to the mix it has to be one of the most unpleasant experiences going. Then the singer lies down on the floor usually and stares at his bits of paper (that he's read a thousand times before) and wishes he was dead....

Musicians eh? aren't they annoying?

Same situation for me too, really. Or I'll get a text I have to reply to. If this leads to a string of texts then I'll start getting annoyed and just ignore everyone...

Tcolumbia37 - I'm fairly disciplined with my bashing at practise as I find it annoying too when I see other people do it (even at gigs!).

But I think guitarists are possibly even worse than drummers, trouble is, they start playing a song, unrelated to anything you are going to do and they think it's a performance where everyone is listening to them when really we are all just trying to burn their head off with intense lazer-stares until it stops.
Or they solo endlessly. Even worse, if you have 2 guitarists they'll either battle OR solo over each other.

If you add a bashing drummer to the mix it has to be one of the most unpleasant experiences going. Then the singer lies down on the floor usually and stares at his bits of paper (that he's read a thousand times before) and wishes he was dead....

Musicians eh? aren't they annoying?

Agreed, guitarists can go overboard as well. Whenever I set up at a gig, I turn my amp wayyy down (usually so that only I can hear it), and then just sit next to it and warm up a little. But once I've got my volume back up, I don't play a single note outside of the context of the song, unless something goes wrong (Bass player breaks a string, broken mic, etc.). Then, I'll just play some quiet jazz pieces or something to fill the time.

Agreed, guitarists can go overboard as well. Whenever I set up at a gig, I turn my amp wayyy down (usually so that only I can hear it), and then just sit next to it and warm up a little. But once I've got my volume back up, I don't play a single note outside of the context of the song, unless something goes wrong (Bass player breaks a string, broken mic, etc.). Then, I'll just play some quiet jazz pieces or something to fill the time.

That's nice to hear. I think you get used to musicians doing this if you're in a band with thoughtful players so it makes it even more shocking and unbearable when you do see someone doing it. Bugs me far more now than it ever did years ago.

Even worse, if you have 2 guitarists they'll either battle OR solo over each other.

If you add a bashing drummer to the mix it has to be one of the most unpleasant experiences going.

Aside from being ...
Killed
Tortured
Raped
Harm to your family or friends
Maimed
Going insane
Starving
Homeless
Addicted to ice or smack
Assaulted
Car crash
Painful disease
Deformity

In fact, I'd even prefer it to:
Traffic jams
Forgetting a critical task at work
Having someone else mess up a critical task at work
Reading lists like this ... :)

This one gig I had was a theatrical performance, with songs interspersed between the vignettes. That being said, there must have been a few portions that reached upwards of 30 minutes without playing. That would have been all fine if my kit wasn't on the floor in front of the stage, up close to people in the audience. Needless to say, I got pretty intimate with them ^.^

Cheers!

I have done shows in which there has been a 20-30min lull. I usually have a sudoku puzzle to keep me from going insane.

Last year I played a very well paying corporate gig with a jazz quartet. We played while people were seated for dining....then, came presentations, announcements, awards etc...
sat on the throne for about 2 hours before we played again as they all got up to leave. Like
I say, it paid very well!!! (by the way, except for some of the wait staff I don't think anyone
in the room paid any attention to our music either)

Hours, when I'm playing the octapad....joking its part of the kit now

Realistically, I sit long enough behind the kit to let my band play acoustic songs etc.. if there is no way for me to escape before the song without it being a hassle. Other than that I just sit for tuning and or talking at practice. Talking at practice could be the longest one because a certain member of our cover group every once in a while like to like right after a song ends start a serious conversation concerning the band while we are still at our spots...which is torture.

Aside from being ...
Killed
Tortured
Raped
Harm to your family or friends
Maimed
Going insane
Starving
Homeless
Addicted to ice or smack
Assaulted
Car crash
Painful disease
Deformity

In fact, I'd even prefer it to:
Traffic jams
Forgetting a critical task at work
Having someone else mess up a critical task at work
Reading lists like this ... :)

..............................SCORNED!.................................lol

I only sit at my kit to play. There are many more comfortable chairs in my house for everything else...

If there is a break in the playing, it's still me playing the silence...

At first glance, this might appear to be a completely useless thread that would only make one scratch their noggin in confusion. In fact, in Australia, death by forgetting to breathe while sitting at a drum kit doing nothing is the 4th leading cause of accidental death. It's right behind choking on a shrimp at the drum kit, which is right behind drop bears.

I just spent two 14 hour days on a film set miming playing the drums in a scene that was a dance. Out of the 28 hours I was on set, I probably spent 6-8 hours behind my kit, the rest of the time was spent eating, playing my guitar in my trailer, chatting up the multitudes of cute extras, and surfing the net on my phone- lots of DW and Gear Page time! In all that time I only hit my drums a few times, and that was only by accident. So basically, I got paid a crazy amount of money for flailing my drumsticks in the air.

I just spent two 14 hour days on a film set miming playing the drums in a scene that was a dance. Out of the 28 hours I was on set, I probably spent 6-8 hours behind my kit, the rest of the time was spent eating, playing my guitar in my trailer, chatting up the multitudes of cute extras, and surfing the net on my phone- lots of DW and Gear Page time! In all that time I only hit my drums a few times, and that was only by accident. So basically, I got paid a crazy amount of money for flailing my drumsticks in the air.

Can you spill the beans of the movie or are you under a NDA?

Back