Need stick help

drummingman

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me if there is an Ahead stick that has the same diameter in the grip area of the stick as a Vic Firth SD1? If I could get the length of the Ahead stick to be the same as the SD1 that would be great as well.

If anyone could help me out with this as soon as possible it will be geatly appreciated.

The SD1 is a great stick, but I'm looking for a stick that has built in shock absorbers.

I assume the XL Rock Studio will be heavier then the SD1 because the SD1 is made of maple. Am I right on this?

If the Ahead sticks don't work out for me I plan on going back to Vic Firth. But I want to try the Aheads to see what I think.

if your looking for something that matches the maple stick your going to need something lighter. I would try Ahead's 2B or 5B. The thickness is .595 like a Vic 5B, so it may take some getting used to, but the weight will be closer to what you had with the SD1

I picked up the Lars model Ahead sticks. The weight and thickness is good.

Tomorrow is the first night I will be able to really play with them. I want to see how the cross stick on my snare sounds as well as the shoulder of the stick sounds on the bell of my ride.

If the cross stick does not sound good with the sleave of the stick I could try flipping it around and using the butt end. Will this hurt the graphite end of the stick?

I'll let you guys know what I think of the stick.

My thoughts on the Ahead sticks are they are good sticks. My only complaint is the seams on the plastic covers and where the cover and base of the stick meet does not feel all that comfortable when they rub over the skin of my index finger when I'm playing. I picked up a pair of the Ahead gloves on Saturday. I plan to see tomorrow night if this helps with the rubbing feeling on my fingers.

I'm really sold on the Ahead sticks. I can tell a real difference as to how my left wrist feels when I use the Ahead sticks compared to wood sticks.

If anybody has tendonitis or carple tunnel I would recommend these sticks.

Im not a fan of ahead sticks, every time I used them they cause my hands to blister. I only use unvarnished wood sticks now, preferably VF.

The SD1 is a great stick, but I'm looking for a stick that has built in shock absorbers.

I assume the XL Rock Studio will be heavier then the SD1 because the SD1 is made of maple. Am I right on this?

If the Ahead sticks don't work out for me I plan on going back to Vic Firth. But I want to try the Aheads to see what I think.

your hands should be the shock absorbers

Im not a fan of ahead sticks, every time I used them they cause my hands to blister. I only use unvarnished wood sticks now, preferably VF.

agreed

and I feel this vibration like they are loose or something....and I feel like they are bending

horrible sticks in my opinion

The markings on the Ahead stickes does not feel that great to my skin either. But I'm trying out drum gloves, and maybe grip tape over those markings to solve that. It's worth it to me for the shock absorption qualities of the stick.

Back