HipGig owners, please HELP!

rene.eriksen

I bought a Yamaha Manu Katché HipGig a couple of months back and I totally love it.

Now I am thinking of changing the heads on the bass drum, but I have a question: Do any of you know if I should get a 16" BD-head (with the thicker aluminum rings they have) or is it 16" tom-heads I will need (with their thinner rings)?

Also I am thinking of changing the triple flanged BD-hoops for some wood hoops, but again; do I need tom style wood hoops (as for instance Yamahas own Vintage Hoops) or will I need regular bass drum wood hoops? The latter means that I need to get actual claws and screws for BDs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the Rick Marotta Hipgig, and it's a 16" tom head. I'm willing to bet the Manu Katche is the same. I was under the impression they only make BD heads as small as 18", but maybe I'm wrong.

Hope this helps!

Bass drum head is probably more expensive than a reg head of the same diameter,bd hoops are going to cost a little bit of change too,plus claws,and possibly t-rods.If you like the sound you are getting already I wouldn't change anything,but it's your money .

I checked a bunch of bass drum heads and I don't see any 16 bass drum heads.

So I got the great idea of looking at the original logo head (that´s what a genious I am) and found out that it is definately not bass drum heads I need. The ring on the Yamaha reso head is even thinner than an ordinary Remo tom head. So I will be returning the 16" bass drum heads I already picked up. I guess it also means that it is tom style wood hoops I need too. Thanks for your help.

Dunno if it's a "true" 16" bass drum head ...

But that lil old drum shop here in town set me up with a Remo PS-4 on the batter side,
and as far as I'm concerned it is the shizz-net on that kit!

As for the wood rings ... I've considered it but the guys at that same shop just don't think it would make enough difference to justify the cost.
I'll trust their judgment on that but I would not try to talk anyone out of doing it either.

Drummufflerpad100.jpg

I don´t know if it is worth the money or not, but untill I decide, I might as well look at some options.

I think that Yamahas own wood hoops are a liiiitle pricey, so I looked at ST-drums, who I have heard many good things about, and they have several proposals: Look here if you will.

http://www.stdrums.de/ - Look left for options, then "shells and woodhoops", scroll down and pick "tom tom woodhoops"

Here they present the different options which are; Maple, Beech and Mahogany.

My question to you now is: What will the different hoops do to the sound of my 16" BD?

Give your 2 cents, please.

BTW: if all you have to add is; it is not worth it, don´t waste your money etc. Don´t answer this post, please.

I've been playing on a Manu Katche for 8 yrs, aquarian super kick 2 comes in a 16. Favorite of all the ones I tried,

Back