Ringo Starr

I guess I should re-word that. No style of music is "better" than any other style. Jazz is more geared towards musicians, and rock more towards listeners in most cases. There are absolutely exceptions, I've listened to plenty of rock music I appreciated as a musician (Flood by Snarky Puppy is a perfect example, if you would consider it rock (it sounds like a weird name, but give a listen, they're all extremely talented)) and there is a lot of jazz I can only listen to as "background music". You're right, rock can be technically challenging, but not what Ringo played. I agree that Ringo and the Beatles were all very creative, especially on the lesser known tracks (like any other band/artist I guess). But all the jazz guys did the same thing. They were just as creative, but with a lot more technical skill. I just used jazz as an example because I'm more familiar with it than funk/fusion, latin, etc.

Take a listen to "She Said She Said" on the Rubber soul album. Even "I Feel Fine" is pretty technically challenging.

I find the Purdie playing for the Beatles not surprising at all. He is the most recorded drummer why would he stop there. He's the guy you bring in the studio when you want job done right. Interesting post.

Either someone is saying Purdie said he played on Beatles tracks, or Purdie is full of crap, because he contradicts himself about what happened, and if you read the disection of his claims, you can clearly see they hold no water at all. (i am referencing the very first posts in this thread, so might be a little off topic, but if you want to read this BS article about Bernhard Purdie claiming the drums of the first 3 Bealtes albums are him and not ringo, its like the 4th or 5th post of the thread).

Either someone is saying Purdie said he played on Beatles tracks, or Purdie is full of crap, because he contradicts himself about what happened, and if you read the disection of his claims, you can clearly see they hold no water at all. (i am referencing the very first posts in this thread, so might be a little off topic, but if you want to read this BS article about Bernhard Purdie claiming the drums of the first 3 Bealtes albums are him and not ringo, its like the 4th or 5th post of the thread).

Agreed, I call bull too. Ringo had such a distinct style, and he held that style when he played live, too. It most definitely wasn't Purdie.

Ringo was a perfect fit for The Beatles. Think about what would have happened if he had played in the style of Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa - it would not have worked. At the time, The Beatles needed a steady drummer with a creativity that would not overpower their music. Behold....Ringo !!

I always give my students at school this one bit of advice. "It's not what you play that makes a difference, it's what you don't play". There is a tendency for all of us drummers to overplay (especially new, young drummers) due to our natural excitement and adventurous nature. Record a song with a group and really rev up the drum fills. Record the same song without being as busy on the set. In most cases (not all), the simpler drum part wins. Knowing what to play and when to play it is all part of the game. Ringo did just that !!!!

Ringo was by far the archetypical drummer of his day. Besides Charlie Watts (different Style but similar music genre) he stood out from any of the "British Invasion drummers" from say the pacemakers, and that ilk. For my money the best drummer of that era up through today. His son Zach is doing a great job especially with the who.
Now can anyone give me some tips on how to get "that sound" from the Abbey Road/Let It Be sessions? Plenty of drum gum, muffles, tape and a pillow in the bass drum? At the point I'm discussing he was using the Hollywood set of Ludwig's. a 22 inch bass but looking at certain pictures off of "Sweet Apple Trax" of that era I've only seen a pillow and some tape. The miking too also is a serious consideration but anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. And I'd like facts not outrageous guesses. Thanks.

Ringo was by far the archetypical drummer of his day. Besides Charlie Watts (different Style but similar music genre) he stood out from any of the "British Invasion drummers" from say the pacemakers, and that ilk. For my money the best drummer of that era up through today. His son Zach is doing a great job especially with the who.
Now can anyone give me some tips on how to get "that sound" from the Abbey Road/Let It Be sessions? Plenty of drum gum, muffles, tape and a pillow in the bass drum? At the point I'm discussing he was using the Hollywood set of Ludwig's. a 22 inch bass but looking at certain pictures off of "Sweet Apple Trax" of that era I've only seen a pillow and some tape. The miking too also is a serious consideration but anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. And I'd like facts not outrageous guesses. Thanks.

Its actually quite simple,and the answer is tea towels,on all the batter heads of his drums,including the snare.He draped them over the entire head and used a little gaffers tape to hold them in place.The bass had a folded up blanket inside,and the reso head removed.His floor tom also had the reso head removed.

Steve B

Surprised tea towel sales never took off after Abbey Road. It works though. Looks kinda crazy if gigging but the drummer from the Beatles cover band Rain did it.

Starr was not incredibly proficient from a technical perspective, but played perfectly in time and complemented his fellow musicians. One can ask no more of a percussionist.

He didn't lobby to work with them, they were after him. He played in the best group in that area at that time as far as popularity Rory Storm & the Stormettes something like that hahahaha!!! Ringo wasn't a smash and kill cymbals type of drummer. He was pocket strong and used short fills which is what most groups that have strong vocals need. When he did ride out he used a wash technique that added a big fill sound in the background. Very good 4/4 player who could play country beats very clean. He also had an element of swing in his feel also which I think was rare in England then. Most drummers were trying to sound like Blues drummers or Motown recordings. Definetely not a great drummer but a drummer who played great in the Beatles. Doc

An excellent time keeper...who did the job dead right in The Beatles!

What Pop music isn't in 4!!! Try duplicating some of Ringos fills especially the snare to rack back to snare. He leads with his left hand not right. Hes a lefty on a righty kit and at times plays like a lefty, that in turns can cause a problem if your a righty and can't lead with your left. If you've never done it you'll find its not that easy for most. He understood dynamics and used them with simple technique like a slush hi hat to a tight sock hi hat when vocals came in. His washes were perfectly placed and the thing about Ringo wasn't so much his drumming as it was with his "thinking" he placed fills appropriately, he defined riffs and actually played with power and finese. I'm not sure why some folks knock Ringo he really fit the group perfectly, he had soft hands and a better foot than he needed in that group. There wasn't much need for quartering down and not much P. Jackson & M. Clarke grooves for Ringo & Paul hahahaha!!!! I'm not a big rock n Roll fan because so much of it stinks!! But when I hear heart n soul and the beat is good then I like it. Throw in imagination and talent, when those boys and their arrainger /engineer Mr. Martin hit the studio they were excellant and anyone who can't hear that and understand the amount of effort and work that went into that doesn't know Jack. Do I have to keep saying that this my opinion and it doesn't have to be read in a church or holy place of choice? I hope not! Doc.

That he didnt go running from the project after he became wealthy...what tolerance and endurance.

Inspiring...a slap-in-the-face reminder of the spirit of drumming when he plays...even more so since the beatles.

... "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band,

Just found an interesting quote by a person reviewing a Beatles book about this on Amazon:
MacDonald states that Paul played drums through the entire song, "Dear Prudence." Actually, Paul's drum part during the first part of the song was recorded over Ringo's original version. Paul's playing stops at the line "won't you let me see you smile" and Ringo's original track takes over. It is pretty obvious since Paul's close mic on the snare is replaced with the fatter Ringo snare sound. Stylistically, there is no way Paul ever played fills like the ones at the end of this song.
I never noticed the splice in Strawberry Fields but once it was pointed out it's obvious. I felt the same way when I listened back to Dear Prudence.

Agreed, those fills are way to much for Paul to have played!

I also heard that the drumming in Back in the USSR was done by Paul..

I just played the "Let it be" CD. This time I listened more carefully to Ringo's drums. He amazed me one more time, specially in "I me mine", "Don't let me down", "Dig a Pony", "Two of us" and, of course, "Get back". Always on time, hitting the right thing all the time. I mean, he never played anything superflous or just for show up. He's like the John Havlicek or Larry Bird of rock'n'roll: a real team player and a real talent on his own.

I just played the "Let it be" CD. This time I listened more carefully to Ringo's drums. He amazed me one more time, specially in "I me mine", "Don't let me down", "Dig a Pony", "Two of us" and, of course, "Get back". Always on time, hitting the right thing all the time. I mean, he never played anything superflous or just for show up. He's like the John Havlicek or Larry Bird of rock'n'roll: a real team player and a real talent on his own.

He actually did play some "superfluous" stuff, a.k.a. as style and flair, but Ringo is turned down so far in the mix, you can't hear any of it.

Back