Mike Portnoy Quits DT??

Not that anyone needs our input, but in the perfect world doesn't Danny Carrey seem like the logical next guy? I mean did Tool actually go through with that tour they were talking about a few months ago or have they for all practical purposes still sort of disbanded/or to use the press agent term are on hiatus?

With all of us doing nothing here but playing armchair speculation, it would certainly look like Portnoy was getting tired of a lot DT type issues/ and who wouldn't after 20 years?/
Then Avenged Sevenfold gives him another outlet and most likely a more lucrative financial incentive, so at the very least he wanted to take a tour with them and see how it felt. Since he really is Dream Theater he probably felt he was entitled to call that shot if he wanted. Then one of the DT guys balked at the idea. There was one of those scraps with someone you're all too familiar with, Portnoy woke up without enough sleep and made a big announcement he couldn't back down from, so hello A Sevenfold.

In the meantime DT guys realizing it's all real start to scramble with numerous ideas that seem possible but don't work out, especially when you're talking about absurdly busy guys who will never allow themselves to be compared with the whole Portnoy/DT legacy thing anyway because of their own probably even larger iconic stature.

Enter Carrey. He's the age, the maturity, can certainly play at least one DT tour while this Tool thing is finally worked out/in the correct style while not carbon copying Portnoy/ and maintain the integrity of the band as people view it, and not give up any ego himself, because as we all know, if this happens, Tool will absolutely have their goofing around ways straightened out by 2012...

...just in time for Portnoy to rejoin DT bigger than ever for summer 2012 touring season.

Look, you know that eventually those guys are getting back together.

Tool did tour this summer, it was a small tour though. I don't think Tool is on any kind of hiatus, its pretty normal for them to have LARGE time gaps between albums. There was 3 yrs between Undertow and Aenima, 5 yrs between Aenima and Lateralus, and 5 yrs between Lateralus and 10k Days. I wasn't expecting a new one until at least 2011 (and recent interviews and posts have said that they plan on hitting the studio after the summer mini-tour).

MP should join Opeth imo... I know he's friends with Mikael Akefedlt. That would be the most epic thing ever.

I hereby dub this thread, "Portnoy's Complaint" ... looks like he'll be back in a few years.

In the meantime DT could always try to steal Gavin from Crimson or Terry B from himself ... probably be easier than extracting Danny from Tool.

Is Barriemore still kicking? I haven't heard anything about him since Tull. FAmazing drummer.

I think Terry Bozzio and Gavin Harrison would seem to be the only players with considerable creative momentum to salvage DT's record. As much as I love Danny Carey, I don't know that'd consider him someone to do this project. Tool is kind of like a juxtaposition to the kind of epic, glamourous, rock opera material that Dream Theatre loves to put out. TB or GH seem more ideal. Either one of them would probably make me interested in a new DT record.

I hereby dub this thread, "Portnoy's Complaint" ... looks like he'll be back in a few years.

In the meantime DT could always try to steal Gavin from Crimson or Terry B from himself ... probably be easier than extracting Danny from Tool.

Is Barriemore still kicking? I haven't heard anything about him since Tull. FAmazing drummer.

He's about 60. He played with Robert Plant for a while back in the '80s. There was an article with him in Drum magazine a few years ago stating he wants to get back in the game. But I haven't heard any takers. He claims to be self-taught as does MP. I really doubt it on both accounts.

MP should join Opeth imo... I know he's friends with Mikael Akefedlt. That would be the most epic thing ever.

MP isn't a good match for Opeth, imo. What would be more epic to me is for Martin Lopez to get back with them. The albums that Lopez plays on with Opeth are my favorite ones. The new guy is good too, but the somewhat more worldly spin of Lopez fit better IMO.

I think the best match for DT would be Dragonforce's drummer Dave Mckintosh or Symphony X's drummer Jason Rullo. Maybe Marco Minneman? I think there are a lot of guys who would do well with DT actually.

He's about 60. He played with Robert Plant for a while back in the '80s. There was an article with him in Drum magazine a few years ago stating he wants to get back in the game. But I haven't heard any takers. He claims to be self-taught as does MP. I really doubt it on both accounts.

Portnoy went to Berklee. He didn't graduate, but that is where the core of the band met.

He didn't graduate--that's almost standard for many successful drummers. I read many that attended Berkelee or North Texas (the two programs) for a year or two, and then move on to gigging and varying successes. I think Cindy Blackman only did a couple of semesters at Berkelee, and Matt Chamberlain only did some semesters at NT.

On another note, I'm surprised by all this attention. Portnoy is a good drummer, but I always heard drummers describing Dream Theater as a real snooze of a group--i.e., typical highly sophisticated music that bores a listener.

Marco Minneman would be a really interesting addition to DT. I would like to see Aquiles Priester with DT though, his drumset is in about the right size range and his playing is pretty top notch. And he's friends with MP too. Jason Rullo is very good too, would love to see him join on. That said, whoever joins on is gonna have a massive task ahead of them.

Martin Axenrot seems pretty good, I like Martin Lopez's work a lot (especially off Damnation), but Axenrot has only been recorded one album with Opeth; can't really judge him. I think there's a lot of sentiment attached to Lopez.

Portnoy went to Berklee. He didn't graduate, but that is where the core of the band met.

I also read somewhere that he studied with Jim Chapin. So he's not self-taught.

My opinion for this whole DT mess is that many drummer could replace Mike by drumming skills.. but how about personal/social skills? No one can't do that! And if you read out Portnoy's blogs you can find out that he is welcome anytime back to DT.. I hope that will happen! :)

My opinion for this whole DT mess is that many drummer could replace Mike by drumming skills.. but how about personal/social skills? No one can't do that! And if you read out Portnoy's blogs you can find out that he is welcome anytime back to DT.. I hope that will happen! :)

Yeah Mike was the biggest promoter of the band and many (like me) were attracted to the band because of him.

But I still love the idea of Mike coming back in a few years. It gives my mind some peace about the whole issue.

My question is, would the replacing drummer use Mike's Monster setup?

Also, you guys really think Terry Bozzio would replace MP in the next album? That would be pretty freaky, and definitely a thing to listen to. I would also love to see them both jamming on each side of the Monster like Mike has done so many times before. Bozzio would certainly be comfy in that set.

Either way, i actually am exited to see a new Dream Theater album without Mike. I wonder what new ideas will come out of the band with a new drummer, and what new ideas will come out of MP himself in his break from Dream Theater.

The future looks bright.

Yeah Mike was the biggest promoter of the band and many (like me) were attracted to the band because of him.

But I still love the idea of Mike coming back in a few years. It gives my mind some peace about the whole issue.

My question is, would the replacing drummer use Mike's Monster setup?

Also, you guys really think Terry Bozzio would replace MP in the next album? That would be pretty freaky, and definitely a thing to listen to. I would also love to see them both jamming on each side of the Monster like Mike has done so many times before. Bozzio would certainly be comfy in that set.

Either way, i actually am exited to see a new Dream Theater album without Mike. I wonder what new ideas will come out of the band with a new drummer, and what new ideas will come out of MP himself in his break from Dream Theater.

The future looks bright.

Yeah and because they are making a new record without Mike.. I think both LaBrie and Myung will have bigger role with making lyrics and things like that.

Good for Mike. James Labrie is pretty annoying to listen to for extended periods of time.

I hear you on that one. He sounds like a bad cross between Sebastian Bach and Rob Halford.

Back