Most Under-rated Drummers

jangus said:
John Densmore IMO

i need more characters

Matt replies: Man I love Densmore's work and distinctive sound. John Aldridge once met him at LAX and said he was a real friendly guy.
the first Doors album is classic, largely due to John Densmore's playing, IMO. Matt

I think Josh Freese is really under rated. He is one of the best session players to have ever walked the earth - and I have met him!! lol.

Brad Wilk from Audioslave and RATM. I think his work on RATM's "Evil Empire" and AS's new "Out of Exile" are really impressive. He's not big on fills and I wonder if that's the reason he's hardly recognized as a top notch player.

I really think if you are a good drummer it will shine through even in bands with relatively simple arrangements...on the cd you usually have to play very straight but live you can show your talent better, of course. And anyway, if somebody is really such a great drummer he or she will surely have a side project, thats more demanding apart from their famous band for example

but I think that aquiles priester, drummer for angra is really underrated, I have seen him live and he is so amazing, his solo was unique too, however, noone seems to know him here or care about him

AARON SOLOWONIUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jaymasta said:
AARON SOLOWONIUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

YES MAN! THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Wow, at least im the only person who thinks this!

potter696 said:
forgot about phil selway, i think that guy is fantastic, he just never gets noticed, some of the beats he plays are great like in creep and climbing up the walls, they may be really simple but they're what you remember the songs for...

I also think mike portnoy is underrated as not many people actually know who he is (i also know that there is a thread dedicated to him) but thats just my opinion...

Mike Portnoy is often mentioned on those "MOST OVERRATED" topics. He has a fame coming from DT, for his "easily understandable, mimicable progressive grooves and fills" among young drummers.
MP's forum has always been the hottest among drummers' personal website, why is he underrated?

For phil selway, I really have something to say.
I used to be a fanatic for radiohead. But i found that phil is just lucky to get his bread and butter for playing for Radiohead. His skills really does not match his position:
Reasons:
1.Listen to his songs just like "creep" or something, he plays the hihat sooo "stiff" that even sounds like a drum program, rather than a real human drummer playing... obviously that's what a studio newbie doing when being nervous and afraid to make mistakes.
2. on one of their 2 disk live album, i already forgot name. before a song, he plays a stick click 1-2-3-4 to set a tempo. Very easy to tell he started too fast and just slowed down at 3-4. Poor feel for tempo.
3.same albume, the live version "just" ..... holly sh!t that was a mess... poor control
4. have u ever listen to their studio version "just"? pretty cool song, i love it.
however, phil once in an interview said "just" was a song that brings him to the "top" in recording.... compared to other songs, yes, "just" is a bit more complicated. but everyone believes for ANY studio/session drummers that can be a true piece of cake. But in this track u can also feel that phil has less confident to play it with more "moving dynamics". Just another programmed machine, very nervous to "catch up" the song not to screw it up.

Why phil stays unnoticed? Becos he know as a drummer of his level, that he is already lucky enough to tour on a world level, sell millions of records.

rendezvous_drummer said:
YES MAN! THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Wow, at least im the only person who thinks this!
WERE BOTH SOLOWONIUK FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaymasta said:
WERE BOTH SOLOWONIUK FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEAH! Have you seen Billy Talent Live before??

The drummer of Oasis. I think their drummer is Zach Starkey (Ringo's son), but I'm not sure. Either way he keeps an awesome beat and has a great sound.

the drummer of oasis is very good indeed and deserves alot more credit. Another great drummer out there who has not recieved much attention is Steve Gillis from FILTER. I recommend you all check out some of their stuff, It's really awesome.

Mike Derosier, formerly of Heart, Orion the Hunter, and Alias, now playing for Clever Bastards. Very solid playing, creative, and Bonham-like.

Don Brewer of Grand Funk Railroad. I love to listen to his triplets.

i've said it before and i'll say it again

Robbie Gonzales people.

nobody here knows him but he played with AL DI MEOLA on his 'splendido hotel' album. he and steve gadd shared the work but i think in this album he played better than Gdd. if you think you know progressive jazz and you haven't heard this album then you have missed a serious chunk. two songs in particular ...

BLEW ME AWAY
1) ALIEN CHASE ON AN ARABIAN DESERT
insanely fast and full of feeling and so tight you couldn't get a razor blade between the parts.
2) DINNER MUSIC OF THE GODS
also very thematic and tight.

i find it hard to believe that in all the time i've been on drummersworld that i have yet to meet another person that has even heard this album. it belongs up there in the top twenty drumming albums of all time. come on folks. track it down and give it a listen. you will not be disappointed.

j

I think that Sam Fogarino of Interpol adds a lot to their sound, although I would admit that a few bands are trying the same kind of stuff, namely the killers, etc. But I personally prefer Interpol's sound. For drums I cite songs like Slow Hands and Obstacle 1 for the neat hi hat stuff and generally creative orchestration.

Dill X said:
The drummer of Oasis. I think their drummer is Zach Starkey (Ringo's son), but I'm not sure. Either way he keeps an awesome beat and has a great sound.

Unless they've changed since Oasis annoyed me so much I started completely ignoring them, it used to be Alan White. No, not that Alan White. The other Alan White. The one who plays for Oasis...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Lenny White is a great drummer and you hardly ever hear of him. His work with Return to Forever is some of the defining work along with Cobham, Weckl, and Gadd. He's a very good player and he's got a great range.

NUTHA JASON said:

Robbie Gonzales people.

i find it hard to believe that in all the time i've been on drummersworld that i have yet to meet another person that has even heard this album. it belongs up there in the top twenty drumming albums of all time. come on folks. track it down and give it a listen. you will not be disappointed.

j

Links, Nutha! Links!

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

Robbie Gonzales people.

j

Links, Nutha! Links!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000273K/qid=1123919782/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_14/103-3234484-9747035?v=glance&s=music

or from uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026EBI/qid=1123919869/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-4949910-5202020

or for mp3 (i think)

http://songs.allofmp3.com/r2/Al_Di_Meola/Splendido_Hotel/group_6476/album_504/mcatalog.shtml

or just google it yourself.
cover.jpg

Back