Sobriety Clock

Smoke

Silver Member
17 Days.

Pretty much drank myself to sleep for the last few years. In the last 40 years or so, I was only dry for about 1 week while undergoing treatment for stage 3 prostate cancer. Had alcohol daily while serving in a dry country (Saudi Arabia, Desert Shield/Storm, 1990 to 1991) thanks to the British expats working for an aerospace company.

My alcohol consumption was getting out of control, but nobody complained. I started noticing physiological changes - hands shaking, sore innards (liver?), sense of smell was askew, plantar fibromatosis on left foot, blank spots in memory. They all tallied up to, "John drinks too much and it's hurting him."

So, I quit. After about a week, I mentioned my sobriety to Mrs. Smoke (who HAD noticed) and she was/is pleased. Yesterday, I mentioned that I now wanted my weekly beer/wine allocation paid in cash rather than alcohol. She said, "There's going to be a total lunar eclipse tomorrow morning, wake me up so I can see it!" God, I love that girl!!

Wish me luck on my new journey!

Indeed, good luck on your journey.​

All the best mate!

I know quite a few people that drink heavily and those that have managed to control it have come out of it feeling a lot better about themselves physically and emotionally. I have to confess I like a few beers but there reaches a point where you have to reduce it or stop completely - and that isn't easy.

So well done! Nice one. Let us know how you progress.

Congrats to you. I have a family history of it so I know what you are going through. A day at a time. You will feel much better too.

Good luck man. We're pulling for you here.

Thanks All!

Strangely, it doesn't seem like as much of a burden as I thought. Not as simple as turning off a switch, but once my mind was made up, my body had to follow.

I'd dipped my toe in the sobriety thing a couple times in the last year or so, but always deluded myself into thinking "I'll just get a six pack of expensive craft beer, and it won't get out of hand." I've since found that I'm either "on the (sobriety) wagon" or it's left me in the dust. I thought I could "run alongside the wagon" and live with a foot in both worlds, but found out otherwise.

I wish it hadn't taken me so long, but I learned my lesson before Gerry Rafferty, Bonzo, Hank Williams or David Byron did, so I've got some consolation.

Well done, Smoke. I think it's brave to face up to something like that. Best of luck to you.

If Mrs. Smoke has heard it all before - remember - actions speak louder than words.

It can be done. Good luck.

I hear you. I quit completely six weeks ago. Didn't think it was interfering with my life but decided to quit to get healthier as I hit 50. Turns out, it was interfering. Feeling tired every morning and afternoon is gone. Having a crappy sleep is gone. Quick temper, also gone. Lack of drive- yep, gone. I would bet a lot of folks would find it is interfering if they really looked at it. You don't have to wake up in a ditch to have a problem. Keep it up Smoke. You will feel great

Congrats mate.

I still love a drink myself, but I definitely know the challenge involved in walking away from your favoured vices. I've managed to whittle away a few of them myself over the last few years. It takes great strength stay on the wagon.....and pulling it off is something to be proud of.

Best of luck with it man.

good luck to you. addiction is a quite a force, but it can be held in check with strength and willpower.

Thanks All!

Strangely, it doesn't seem like as much of a burden as I thought. Not as simple as turning off a switch, but once my mind was made up, my body had to follow.

I'd dipped my toe in the sobriety thing a couple times in the last year or so, but always deluded myself into thinking "I'll just get a six pack of expensive craft beer, and it won't get out of hand." I've since found that I'm either "on the (sobriety) wagon" or it's left me in the dust. I thought I could "run alongside the wagon" and live with a foot in both worlds, but found out otherwise.

I wish it hadn't taken me so long, but I learned my lesson before Gerry Rafferty, Bonzo, Hank Williams or David Byron did, so I've got some consolation.

I've also found that it is much easier to be totally dry, than to try to 'drink in moderation'. Totally dry is easy, just always say no (I realize that may not be so 'easy' for some). Moderation, though, is difficult, when do you say 'enough'? It can lead to a slippery slope.
Also, it gets easier with time. After my first 30 days, I've never been tempted, and I feel much better.
My best wishes to you, sir.

Thanks for the advice and kind wishes. So far it's been easy, and there isn't any temptation, but I haven't been tested yet.

First test will be a week at beer, uhhh... Deer hunting camp next month. I already know that moderation doesn't work for me, so I'll stick to abstinence.

I'll keep you posted!

Well done, Smoke. I think it's brave to face up to something like that. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Madge! Apparently I lived near that river in Africa - De-Nile - for longer than I'd care to admit. Airing my dirty laundry here is a start. Sort of a commitment to the drumming world - with lots of coaches!! Next are closer associates. Admitting that I couldn't (or didn't care to) control myself is tough. I'll let that happen as it comes...

If Mrs. Smoke has heard it all before - remember - actions speak louder than words.

It can be done. Good luck.

Strangely, this is my first real ride on the wagon. Mrs. Smoke's dad was an alcoholic, so while she didn't turn a blind eye to my antics, she didn't want to exacerbate the situation by haranguing me about my drinking.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken. We've been married 34 years - the next 34 will be less worrisome for both of us.

I hear you. I quit completely six weeks ago. Didn't think it was interfering with my life but decided to quit to get healthier as I hit 50. Turns out, it was interfering. Feeling tired every morning and afternoon is gone. Having a crappy sleep is gone. Quick temper, also gone. Lack of drive- yep, gone. I would bet a lot of folks would find it is interfering if they really looked at it. You don't have to wake up in a ditch to have a problem. Keep it up Smoke. You will feel great

Cool! I'm reaping all the benefits you mentioned, except for the cruddy night's sleep. I've "medicated" myself for so long it's going to take a while to learn to sleep without benefit of an anesthetic. ;-).

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

I'm a very compulsive person; smoked 3 packs a day when I was using tobacco and when it was time to quit, did it cold turkey.

Almost 13 years ago I got stuck on psych meds due to a misdiagnosis (manic depression, which turns out I'm nowhere near that neck of the woods) and after a very traumatic life changing event I quit those cold turkey (not recommended)...

And having gone through a pretty ugly divorce and acting as my own attorney (and drinking like him too!) it was two years ago August 9 to be exact I decided to leave "that guy" sitting on the proverbial park bench, heaving and puking and being hung over, twitchy, sleeping in until the crack of 15:00h, ugh. Goodbye to him! Cold turkey was once again the order and I've not had a drink since.

I understand the trials and tribulations of quitting an addiction all too well. My current battle is nibbling my nails, and that's been going on since I was 3 years old. I will quit for years but something always defers me to that behavior and I find myself riding that particular horse for a stretch.

We are strange creatures.

Back