The newer Premier APK and XPK line of drums...

rustyfingers

I know I ask a lot of questions and I apologize for that but I've searched and most of the info on the Premier line of cheaper drums talk about the older "Made In England" versions.

There is an EBAY seller with the APK (wrapped) for 299 shipped and the XPK (finished) for 399. These are 5 piece kits and they look OK but not sure if they are any good or just more junk. I screwed up and jumped on a PDP Centerstage kit the MF was selling for 299. I was lucky and they raised the price to 399 so I was able to sell them for what I paid.

Anyway, just don't want to make another mistake.

Thanks,
Dennis

I have never owned one, but have read on here many times both of those lines are good value, and sound good, especially the cheaper APK. It sounds like you did a search already, but I know plenty is written about those lines on here. Some of the older APK and XPK may have deep tom sizes less desirable to some.

'more junk' is relative. I think an old Pearl Export sounds Ok but many other might call it junk.

I have never owned one, but have read on here many times both of those lines are good value, and sound good, especially the cheaper APK. It sounds like you did a search already, but I know plenty is written about those lines on here. Some of the older APK and XPK may have deep tom sizes less desirable to some.

'more junk' is relative. I think an old Pearl Export sounds Ok but many other might call it junk.

Thanks Louis... again.

If I could get a set of new exports for 299, I'd buy them. I was lucky that I had a chance to see the CS kit setup somewhere else before I opened mine. These drums are for our church and the CS wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes.

Ya I don't get this. How are drums being trashed at a church? Like are people abusing them or multiple setups by people who strip lugs and things...?

Do they have to be new? There are many used kits out there in the $300 range that I would think do well at a church.

It sounds like you are looking for things that are cheap and sturdy - hold up to different users and settings. Usually can't beat Tama, Yamaha and Pearl in that department. I'd go on the APK or XPK too.

Ya I don't get this. How are drums being trashed at a church? Like are people abusing them or multiple setups by people who strip lugs and things...?

Do they have to be new? There are many used kits out there in the $300 range that I would think do well at a church.

It sounds like you are looking for things that are cheap and sturdy - hold up to different users and settings. Usually can't beat Tama, Yamaha and Pearl in that department. I'd go on the APK or XPK too.

They are (will be) in the youth building where we play so I never know who's going to be there or what they'll be doing.

I think I'm just going to hold out and find a kit local that I can touch before I buy. I had a line on a Pearl Forum set and the seller got rid of them before I could get back with her. Something else will pop up sooner or later. Thanks again for your help.

Dennis

Thanks Ian,

Here are the kits: The silver sparkle is 299 and the other two are 399.

Attachments

• apk.jpg
    apk.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,157
  • xpk1.jpg
    xpk1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 917
  • xpk2.jpg
    xpk2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 936
The only difference is in the finish. The XPK has a lacquer. That's it. The shells and hardware are precisely the same.

Given that and the information about where the drums will be living - what they'll have to endure - I'd opt for the APK. They're going to take a beating, and the wrap will endure more damage than the lacquer.

From what I've heard of these drums, they sound pretty good, provided decent heads and proper tuning.

I play the higher-end Premier Series Elite and have been very satisfied.
I know the team at Premier is dedicated to bring the name back to the forefront. I'd say either an XPK or APK at these clearance prices is a no brainer. You'll need to swap heads, as noted, but you'll have a kit from a company that wants you to be happy and cares about their brand.

Those are a phenomenal deal. You are not going to find 6 ply 100% birch shells for that price anywhere else. If I were in the market for a kit I'd definitely pick one of those up.

Hey speaking of apk I have some mid 90s drums in really good cond i have a 10/14" tom and a 22 bass any idea how much they are worth the whole set I bought is 10 12 13 14 16 toms 2 22" bass i paid 325 i thought that was a good deal. I know they were entry level back then but I really like the sound any info would be great

Just grabbed one of the all birch shell APK heritage microbop shell packs (16" kick) Really decent drums for the money.

As a collector of small kits I found the Premiere Micro Bop 16 at a box store for a ridiculous inexpensive price of under 500 bucks for a four piece kit all birch shells.....not made in England but beautifully constructed in Asia.....I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Perfect condition in every way, Usually these kits skimp out in a few areas....but not this one in the APK series. The snare is superb and matches several high end snares I own......all drums are proportional and none are short in depth.....13 snare.....10 tom 13 tom and 16 by 14 bass drum.....even the heads are very decent......I placed an Aquaian Super Kick One on the bass drum.......wow can this be a 16 ??
Fit and finish is excellent and despite the fact that I have several high end bop kits this Micro Premier has become my go to Jazz kit....
Alas it seems Premier has now gone by the wayside......I learned on Premier and played them for most of my over 50 years behind the kit.......in recent years Premier have been impossible to reach and frankly I believe their worldwide customers deserve at the very least an update on whether or not they are gone for ever.............if you are lucky enough to score a microbop 16 kit go for it ....you will e delighted......maybe it is Premiers mysterious farewell........... .

As a collector of small kits I found the Premiere Micro Bop 16 at a box store for a ridiculous inexpensive price of under 500 bucks for a four piece kit all birch shells.....not made in England but beautifully constructed in Asia.....I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Perfect condition in every way, Usually these kits skimp out in a few areas....but not this one in the APK series. The snare is superb and matches several high end snares I own......all drums are proportional and none are short in depth.....13 snare.....10 tom 13 tom and 16 by 14 bass drum.....even the heads are very decent......I placed an Aquaian Super Kick One on the bass drum.......wow can this be a 16 ??
Fit and finish is excellent and despite the fact that I have several high end bop kits this Micro Premier has become my go to Jazz kit....
Alas it seems Premier has now gone by the wayside......I learned on Premier and played them for most of my over 50 years behind the kit.......in recent years Premier have been impossible to reach and frankly I believe their worldwide customers deserve at the very least an update on whether or not they are gone for ever.............if you are lucky enough to score a microbop 16 kit go for it ....you will e delighted......maybe it is Premiers mysterious farewell........... .

Nice review.. I'm a big fan and hope they get it together and increase their presence here in the U.S.

Back