Your maximum bpm

Mukund

Whats your maximum bpm?
i mean like in double strokes?
single strokes
with one hand ?
or whichever rudiment you want to mention :)

silliness

strictly my opinion

but silliness none the less

(enter Matt Smith)

Are we talking about drumming here?
Please define what "drumming" is to you and give people a chance replying on your question. Maybe you're living in your own world and thus, don't understand other people's perspectives. Are you "drumming" the "right" way while others are doing it "wrong"?

Sometimes some reactions make me think that mentioning bpm above 200 is a crime...

Bpm discrimination in the year 2012... Wouldn't have believed this possible. Mankind has evolved really far... wow.

I apologize Arky, I was making a stupid joke. It was not meant to slag drummers who can go fast.

I actually really respect players who have put the time, effort, and self discipline into it. Its actually one of things I am working on as well.

(And sorry I haven't posted a video yet. Will do so but the audio/video quality might be... less than mediocre.)

Come on Ark.....what are you waiting for? The planets to align? Me to become a rich man? Hell to freeze over? You've had weeks and weeks.....in fact, enough time to get yourself up to speed even if your weren't before. You called paradiddles at 250 and we wanna see it. Give us our vid!! :)

I apologize Arky, I was making a stupid joke. It was not meant to slag drummers who can go fast.

I actually really respect players who have put the time, effort, and self discipline into it. Its actually one of things I am working on as well.
I see! Well my reply was a bit harsh then but it's sad that there seem to be a lot of drummers who aren't that tolerant towards their instrumental brethren. -- So I have to apologize, too. But whoever felt that my post was addressed to them... was feeling the right way!

Come on Ark.....what are you waiting for? The planets to align? Me to become a rich man? Hell to freeze over? You've had weeks and weeks.....in fact, enough time to get yourself up to speed even if your weren't before. You called paradiddles at 250 and we wanna see it. Give us our vid!! :)
I'm a master of procrastination, one of my main problems. There's some things which I keep on postponing until they get solved by themselves (disappearing). But as to that vid (or several) - ok, I'll do this... today. No matter the result, you might get a good laugh out of it. Have done calf raises yesterday but let's see. I was hoping all that time to find someone who'd help me doing vids and have a good camera. One of the potential helpers is "currently not available" because of a stupid argument. I'll do it myself, it will certainy look and sound home-made. I wasn't sitting at home thinking "Oh, half of the world is waiting for that video proof", you know. Actually I've done 2 short videos "for myself" as test shooting but I should have covered my belly with a t-shirt, those vids are... not suited for the public ;-)

EDIT
Here it is (finally) - paradiddle @ 240 & 250 bpm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLnneuJUM8&feature=youtu.be

For comments I suggest doing this in the following thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90310&highlight=speeeeed

Last edited:
I think someone should start a thread to see how slow someone can play and staying steady. I've played behind singers where there was so much space between quarter notes, you could take a drink between them.

I totally appreciate guys who can move their sticks at mind-bending rates, but man do those guys just overplay every chance they get. Sometimes I'm disappointed when I hear Jojo Mayer just laying down a groove on Nerve's new album, but I can listen to Steve Jordan doing that all day. I wonder why that is.

I've never looked at it as maximum bpm. Check out some Will Kennedy with the Yellowjackets holding that swing pattern at punk speeds, and still dropping bombs and articulating the music. That's what I refer to as maximum bpm ;)

Would it be wrong to say though that the ability to play things like single strokes to at least certain level of proficiency at a reasonable speed (say 180 bpm?) is part of a good foundation? I have found since concentrating on nice, clean single strokes, my overall playing has improved. I think that the ability to play things fast just adds to your musical voice.

If I seem somewhat hesitant to take a stand its because one thing this forum and youtube has taught me is that I am not as good as I thought I was and I really don't know all that much about drumming compared to a lot of people.

Would it be wrong to say though that the ability to play things like single strokes to at least certain level of proficiency at a reasonable speed (say 180 bpm?) is part of a good foundation?

You mean 16th notes @ 180, right? A bpm number by itself doesn't mean anything, unless you mean 180 actual notes per minute. That would be a good practical first goal for running singles, and then push it towards the top setting on your metronome-- 208. I'd also be trying to get them faster (the real rate of the singles, not the metronome marking) for 1-4 beats as sixtuplets and 32nd notes.

I have found since concentrating on nice, clean single strokes, my overall playing has improved. I think that the ability to play things fast just adds to your musical voice.

Much of drumming is just a matter of placing single notes in good musical time, so really getting singles together to a high standard at any tempo will improve your playing. But the single stroke roll is a major rudiment, and you need to have it together to call yourself proficient, though in most applications there are other ways of achieving the same effect.

Exactly enough to get the job done. I am a musician and therefore play music.

Too many here forget that's the whole purpose. If a deep groove or tasty lick I'm playing puts a smile on your face and a tap in your foot then I am doing my job. I'm not interested in how fast I can make the baseball card click in my spokes.

Yep, I did mean sixteenths. (metronome is set on quarters at 180 and I am playing sixteenths) My metronome goes a lot faster than 208 but I don't think I will! 200 for singles with my hands and feet is my goal. I think that will give me the chops to handle any musical situation that I would find myself in. I suppose that number would be higher if you were a new metal drummer.

Back