Die cast question

Undertow450

I bought the Sonor Danny Carey snare (bronze 8 x 14) and wanted to put Die cast hoop on both batter & resonant sides. The guy at the store told me that it is never a good idea to put Die cast on "non wood" snare ? I finally haven't bought, but what do u think ?

I bought the Sonor Danny Carey snare (bronze 8 x 14) and wanted to put Die cast hoop on both batter & resonant sides. The guy at the store told me that it is never a good idea to put Die cast on "non wood" snare ? I finally haven't bought, but what do u think ?

What a load of rubbish. It depends on the drum. Some work with die casts and others not. For example, I would not put them on an LM 402. But on an LM 306 they work great.

Check how many of my metal snares have die casts hoops on the snare thread.

What a load of rubbish.

Agreed!

There are tons of high end snares that are fitted with die cast hoops by the manufacturer.

It depends on the drum and what sound you're looking for. I use them on wood and metal drums with very good results.

die cast hoops , a very rigid so they cut the vibrations, as a result the drum become more focused with less overtones and proyection.
there 's no rule about die cast hoops , you can use them in any snare you want ,

that is one of the best snare drums I have heard. I'm not even a tool fan, but I think that snare is an awesome choice.

I have diecast hoops on my gretsch chrome over brass, and it is not a problem.

When it comes to drums, and music in general, words that have a rigid definition like "never" and "always" don't really apply. Words like "sometimes", "usually", and "mostly" are a lot more accurate even though they are vague by nature.
High-end snares typically come with die cast hoops regardless whether they're made of wood or metal...the key word here being "typically".
Out of curiousity, what store was this? Steve's? I ask because I'm originally from the 514 myself and go back frequently to visit.

Killer snare BTW! :)

Thx everyone for your answers ... What's funny is that the other Bronze snare done by Sonor & the Phil Rudd Signature one has Die Cast on them !!!! :) I believe he made that argument only because he didn't have them in backstore ... I think I'll order the Mastercast ones (Pearl) on the net, unless someone has an idea of where I could find the Sonor ones without waiting 3 months. Drum sound is all about experimentation ...

Hi Mikey Dangerous, yes it is at Steve's music store ... It's a great store, with great prices, but not the best customer service (compare to Drum Bazar & Italmelodie) in the 514 area

+1 on die casts for snares. I think they make a big difference, for the better.

What the ... of course non-wood snares can sound good (better) with die cast hoops. Heck, a couple of the Ludwig Black Beauty models come with them.

Attachments

• bras on brass.jpg
    bras on brass.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 244
ok ... anyone knows a place where I could ordered some Sonor Die cast hoop without waiting 3 months (there's nothing on ebay) ?

Hey I have that very Black Beauty!!!!. . . Its my work horse, when all else fails black beauty w/DIE CAST comes to the rescue. . .

Yup, another BB with DC Hoops here, in fact I replaced the Triple Flanged WITH DC ( Ludwig ) hoops because I have a LM2000B Millenium Ludwig that I truly love the sound of, and of course that is just a Black Beauty without the Nickel Plating process, it is too rare to gig with but the Black Beauty sounds identical anyway...

I can't believe that a music store associate said that! Is he a drummer?
You don't have to buy Sonor die cast hoops if you want to avoid the wait. You can use other brands that have the correct diameter and amount of lug holes.

Back