Ow! My Ears!

• Thread starter mediocrefunkybeat
  • Start date
I don't understand what I'm listening to.

In that video I posted up, you're listening to the sound of two drum tracks that are being played back at different speeds - the speeds depending on where a track point is on an XY grid on the webcam input matrix.

Say, if I select it to follow my finger and I move my finger up, the track might speed up. The opposite if it goes down. Add some effects into the mix and you've got a bit of the software I've written. It does sound synthesis using the same parameters as well.

Cheers Eddie. It was a fair amount of work and still needs a bit of debugging.

There's a bit of the 'YouTube sync' problem going on there too, so I need to sort that out.

That's a cool thing, & a lot of work gone into it that I don't pretend to understand. Struggling to find an application for it in general music making, but I can imagine super cool applications in dance & theatre.

That's a cool thing, & a lot of work gone into it that I don't pretend to understand. Struggling to find an application for it in general music making, but I can imagine super cool applications in dance & theatre.

It's not really designed for anything 'normally' musical, so you've hit that one on the head. It's much more for the kinds of sounds that you'd hear in electronic music or, as Polly says, things like movie soundtracks. I'm finding some uses for it for what I usually write.

This is the tip of the iceberg really. There's a guy on my course who is doing something similar (using a Kinect sensor, actually) to track the motion of dancers performing and in doing so render 3D video on a muslin cloth in front of them dancing. This is much more limited - but it's dissertation work, so not necessarily designed for the mainstream!

Back