Yamaha Stage Custom (5 piece) - price?

Avramy S.

I am a completely new drummer. My drum teacher wants to sell me a Yamaha Stage Custom (5 piece) that is used but in great condition (freshly painted), including all the hardware, with the snares and a seat. He will also install some muffler inside since I cannot wake up the whole block. I was wondering how much should this cost for a fair price and what I should be aware of before I make this purchase. Thanks.

Stage Customs are great mid-level beginner kits with amazing hardware. Prices are pretty subjective, depending on where you are (where are you, anyway). Here in Canada, the shell/hardware package usually runs around $400-600 I would say.

Check your local Craigslist/Kijiji to get an idea of what they go for in your area, and then haggle :)

How old is the set? If it is less than three years old and in good shape, I would post it for about $600. That may sound high, but the shell pack with hardware sells for $850 new. I typically like asking just a little high and letting people work me down. That way I end up getting about what I wanted rather than getting people asking way less than the stuff is worth.

Last Christmas I bought myself a brand new Stage Custom 5 piece shell kit (already had the throne and the hardware - high hat stand, ride stand and bass pedal) for just over $600.
Guess price would depend on quality of hardware and throne (believe me a good throne is worth it's weight in gold!) And btw, I LOVE my stage customs :)

I am a completely new drummer. My drum teacher wants to sell me a Yamaha Stage Custom (5 piece) that is used but in great condition (freshly painted), including all the hardware, with the snares and a seat.
Painting a drum kit usually decreases the value. Unless you like the paint job, I'd pass.​
He will also install some muffler inside since I cannot wake up the whole block.
Typically, drum mutes for practice are pads you lay on top of the heads, not mufflers installed within. So, I'd check out exactly what he's doing to this kit. And if this muffler installation is a permanent add-on, it too will devalue the kit. With new sets going for $650, I wouldn't drop more than $350 for this "custom".​
Welcome to Drummerworld, by the way.​

Hello! New guy here. My wife is interested in trying her hands (and feet!) at drumming, and I've thought it'd be fun to have a kit in the house. I've been keeping my eye on CL for the "right" kit - which, for us, means:

#1 Price
#2a Quality
#2b Looks

Given that neither of us play, nor do we plan to play outside of the basement, keeping the price low is most important. But I don't like spending money on crap, and we don't like buying "ugly" stuff (read: my wife says no black, no "wine red"). I was originally hoping to spend no more than $350, but I'm starting to get impatient and was wondering what people thought about this set for $450:

00P0P_hnUImck8ISR_600x450.jpg

It comes with all the hardware/cymbals. Based on a little I've read here, it seems like it might be a decent price but not a great price? Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Decent price, but not great is correct. I'd go $350 for that kit. The cymbals are not very good at all and you need to replace those heads ($100 right there).

Yamaha Stage Custom are very good drums, especially at that price point, but you can pick them up in better condition for $450.

Thanks, simmsdn!
When shopping used drums how do you tell when they need new heads?

when the heads:
- sound muted and 'dead'
- have dimples or dents
- are completely worn through of their coating (if coated).

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for those traits and take them into consideration once I get around to buying.

Thanks, simmsdn!
When shopping used drums how do you tell when they need new heads?

When they start looking like the heads on those drums. Those look well worn in, probably stretched beyond acceptable, coating on snare looks well worn. For clear heads, when you really can't see through them anymore, time to get new.

Depending on the sizes, you can get some pre-packaged head sets from Remo, Evans, and Aquarian for a decent price point if you just want to do the top (batter) heads. Eventually you'll want new heads on the bottom too (the often neglected resonant heads).

Thanks again, simmsdn. Unfortunately the seller never responded to my email offer of $350, despite his/her ad requesting "best offers". Grrr...another typical craigslist experience.

Back