good bass drum heads?

marckyj

so I need to replace my current bass drum head and I don't know which to get, I have a 20x18 bass and wanted a deep sort of punch sound, i'm in a metal band and want something you can feel in your chest when I play shows, I was looking into the Super kick II but i'm not sure, i'm also in search of some tom heads, i'm looking for a short warm sound, maybe remo ambassadors? any suggestions?

oh by the way, my tom sizes are 10,12 and 16

and it's a 22x18 bass not 20

Welcome.
You can always "edit" your posts - e.g to expand it. No need to post multiple consecutive posts. (That's why I bundled them.)

Firstly, welcome. I have a 22x18 and I love the Evans GMAD. Evans is a good make and you are likely to get a lot of recommendations for the EMAD. If you go to Evans web site, you can get more info.

I'd go Evans Emad 2 for the bass and Evans EC2 clear on the toms. Ambassadors have a bit more sustain which i personally don't like for metal but i think they sound great for jazz but that's just my opinion so i don't expect everyone will agree.

I have a Tama Starclassic in those sizes and I put a Evans EQ4 on the bass, and coated G2s on the toms (with G1s on the bottoms). You also can't go wrong with a remo Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum, and Emperors on the toms with Ambassadors on the bottoms.

I'm sorta against heads that have foam rings in them or on them. I don't want it too dead. By the time you tune the drum and start playing with the band, a little bit of ring is good for projection, and nobody hears the ringing when the band starts playing, or if you're just playing and the audience is 10 feet away. I mainly use the G2's/Emperors for durability because I can go through G1's and Ambassadors fairly quickly.

On my 22x18 i play an Evans EMAD coated on the batter side and an Onxy Reso.

This delivers a rather short, controlled dark and punchy sound with not much attack.

I would describe it as "heartbeat"

It suits the music I play, but I think for metal it might not have enough attack to cut through.

Its also easy to tweak because of the removable dampening ring on the EMAD

The Emad series and Superkick series is where I would lean on for a batter. The Aquarian Regulator reso head will work great with either one of those batters. 99/100 drummers are more than satisfied with that particular setup.

EC2's are excellent Tom heads. They provide excellent attack, punch, and produce little to no overtones. A great choice for playing metal.

The Aquarian Performance 2's are highly recommended for Tom heads for playing metal. They'll give you that deep thud that you hear on alot of metal albums. Some people say they sound too dead. It all depends on what sound you wanna pull off. The performance 2's will not ring out at all! Meaning, that after u strike the Tom and hear that deep thud, you'll here complete silence instantly after the thud.

Aquarian also makes Super 2 Tom heads that have a built in studio ring. I never tryed these, but I think they may be similar to Evans EC2 heads.

G2's are also a good choice if you want a slightly more drum tone, but they still don't resonate too much, meaning they would also sound great in metal music. They'll provide a bit more warmth than the others I mentioned.

Most of my kicks have EMAD batters, I love them. On a deep kick in particular, I would recommend a 1-ply clear head (which the standard EMAD is) to give the best articulation/attack.

Bermuda

Most of my kicks have EMAD batters, I love them. On a deep kick in particular, I would recommend a 1-ply clear head (which the standard EMAD is) to give the best articulation/attack.

Bermuda

Did you ever have the opportunity to compare the clear vs coated EMAD?

I really like the coated one but sometimes I wish I had a little more attack

If so, will the clear one sound more or less the same but with more attack?
Will I lose a lot of warmth switching to clear?

Thanks F

Did you ever have the opportunity to compare the clear vs coated EMAD?

I really like the coated one but sometimes I wish I had a little more attack

If so, will the clear one sound more or less the same but with more attack?
Will I lose a lot of warmth switching to clear?

Thanks F

You will gain alot more attack for sure. Infortunately, you will lose some warmth. You could try less dampening to help gain some of the lost warmth back.

On my 22x18 i play an Evans EMAD coated on the batter side and an Onxy Reso.

This delivers a rather short, controlled dark and punchy sound with not much attack.

I would describe it as "heartbeat"

It suits the music I play, but I think for metal it might not have enough attack to cut through.

Its also easy to tweak because of the removable dampening ring on the EMAD

The heartbeat is what I'm looking for,I think this is what I'll end up getting, thanks a ton

Back