Ambassador X vs. G Plus

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
I realize that the Ambassador X heads are still quite new, but I think this summer I will be doing another head change and am debating between these two heads... I haven't been able to decide if I'm a Remo or Evans guy, really.

At the moment I have Coated Ambassadors over Clear G Pluses on my Force 3007s (8x7, 10x8, 12x9 I believe) a Coated G Plus on my floor tom (14x14) and while I think they sound good, I'm looking for something a little different... though the Ambassadors are coated, they have much more attack than I would've anticipated and sound much better when laid into. A bit strange, I know... but that's what my ears tell me.

My dilemma is in the fact that although I've heard plenty about the G Pluses, less attack than even coated G1s/G2s, more and warmer sustain (hence why I use them as resos and love them there) I'm not quite sure how the Ambassador X compares in sound, despite the similar construction. I'm also not a huge fan of Evan's plastic/frosty/whatever it really is coating but would still like a coated head...

I suppose a tom sound I would ideally like to achieve would be something similar to Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me (moreso on Colors and The Great Misdirect than anything prior) but without as much of his extremely defined tom attack.

So I suppose my basic question is if anyone here has gotten the chance to play both types of heads, what are the similarities and/or differences in their overall sound in terms of attack, warmth, low end, sustain etc.?

Apologies for if my post is incoherent and sounds like rambling, I'm on vacation and have been sleeping in and whatnot and I'm quite tired still. :) lol

Hi, I can only speak of the Ambassador X heads. I put them on my Yamaha oak customs about a month ago and I am very pleased with the sound and feel. I had clear emperors on the kit before and they sounded great too. The X is a single ply (20%) thicker than regular ambassasdor's. They project very well, warm but still provide a nice punch.

Good luck.

Hi, I can only speak of the Ambassador X heads. I put them on my Yamaha oak customs about a month ago and I am very pleased with the sound and feel. I had clear emperors on the kit before and they sounded great too. The X is a single ply (20%) thicker than regular ambassasdor's. They project very well, warm but still provide a nice punch.

Good luck.

Is it a brighter attack and a real warm sustain? And I'm guessing it's more of a punchy rather than plasticky attack by what you said... If that even makes any sense on toms lol.

Ive got some Ambassador X's on order - they were meant to arrive before the 8th of this month - aka my birthday.
I'll post a review but i cant garuntee it will be very good cause i do have a dire drum kit

I suppose it wouldn't hurt even on a drum set you might not think is all that great... if that's what you're saying of course lol, I can't really tell to be honest. No disrespect meant if you didn't.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt even on a drum set you might not think is all that great... if that's what you're saying of course lol, I can't really tell to be honest. No disrespect meant if you didn't.
And yeah, it doesnt hurt at all really! Its definitely made me want to play my kit alot again. Especially when tuned correctly!

The Ambassador X's are beautiful. They sound very punchy and consise but keep the tone still. Im using Ambassador X's as a batter and Clear Ambassadors as the resonant and im really impressed.
Kit: CB sp series (Yeah, bad i know but its really transformed the kit)

Back