Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!

Andy

Honorary Member
There's many in the Southwest of the UK who've been suffering for the last 7 weeks due to record rainfall. It's relentless. Houses flooded, communities cut off, politicians being filmed standing in a puddle with full safety gear on (hard hat, safety glasses, in a puddle?). anyhow, you get the picture.

You'd think Andy's immune to this living on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, well, you'd be wrong. Thankfully, my new storm drain installation is earning it's money (we used to get terrible problems with water running across the property), but all that water has to go somewhere, & it ends up in our valley. Our valley is the only way in or out for us, & all roads are currently closed. The main road is under 5ft of water, cars abandoned everywhere. Even when the floods drain, it will probably take a day or so to remove all the vehicles so we can use the road again.

I recorded 106mph gusts on my wind indicator today, & there's another storm due in Friday. I believe our American cousins are also due unseasonably high snow fall tomorrow, so to all who are weather challenged right now - keep safe.

There's many in the Southwest of the UK who've been suffering for the last 7 weeks due to record rainfall. It's relentless. Houses flooded, communities cut off, politicians being filmed standing in a puddle with full safety gear on (hard hat, safety glasses, in a puddle?). anyhow, you get the picture.

You'd think Andy's immune to this living on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, well, you'd be wrong. Thankfully, my new storm drain installation is earning it's money (we used to get terrible problems with water running across the property), but all that water has to go somewhere, & it ends up in our valley. Our valley is the only way in or out for us, & all roads are currently closed. The main road is under 5ft of water, cars abandoned everywhere. Even when the floods drain, it will probably take a day or so to remove all the vehicles so we can use the road again.

I recorded 106mph gusts on my wind indicator today, & there's another storm due in Friday. I believe our American cousins are also due unseasonably high snow fall tomorrow, so to all who are weather challenged right now - keep safe.

106mph gusts...........................with rain............................sounds like some crazy weather

Here in Georgia, we're in for our second bout of snow in three weeks............................I've only seen it snow here twice before..................in the last 13+ years.......................can't wait for summer

106mph gusts...........................with rain............................sounds like some crazy weather

Here in Georgia, we're in for our second bout of snow in three weeks............................I've only seen it snow here twice before..................in the last 13+ years.......................can't wait for summer
Crazy indeed, we had 1.5" of rain in one hour!!

It seems that our weather is often opposite. At the moment I'm hoping for rain to revive my brown lawn. The past two days it has drizzled very lightly a couple of times, the first rain we've had on over a month. Our southern capitals have been experiencing record runs of 40+C heat.

Good luck with it in soggy England, Andy! Maybe one day humans will be able to move rain around so it's more evenly distributed ...

The lights dimmed earlier for a moment and I'm wondering if more power cuts are on the way. Let's hope not.

Best wishes to all both here and abroad that are suffering with moher nature.

We had an electricity power cut today at the factory, everything went dead suddenly, not good for all the software, it took 45 minutes to get going again... but because of the bad weather and the powerful wind, we had to stop production for safety's sake, many of our tankers containing raw materials could not fill up our silos, too dangerous with the wind, the tankers could tip over during the operations.

Yes, we're having a bad time right now, and it's also freezing cold, luckily, floods hasn't reach Telford as of yet, but some houses in Ironbridge were flooded today.

I guess it's all precipitation, whether frozen or not. Either way, I feel your pain, man.

Michigan has three cities amongst the snowiest in the U.S. for the winter so far. 70.8" of snow thus far in Detroit. And sub-zero (F) temps pretty much weekly. It was -8 F this morning on my drive into work.

I'm done with this sh**.

Quite the opposite over here.

It was a lovely Summer Day here in Southern California.

Which is kind of bad given it's supposed to be our raining season and we're facing a really serve drought.

Feel free to send some that rain this way! We could use it.

It's nowhere near as bad here as in other parts of the UK, but the winds last night were frightening.

I'd left the horses in their stables yesterday, and when I went down to the farm where they live to muck them out and give them their teas, at about 4p.m., part of the barn roof blew off. I did all the essentials in about 30 minutes and took the absence of roof as my cue to get the hell out.

On the way back (1.5 mile journey) I was slightly alarmed to see a large piece of broken-off tree that hadn't been there before, and when I came to the junction at the end of the lane, it was blocked by another large piece of tree and a number of smaller branches. I didn't fancy getting out of the car to try to move the branches in case any more came down on top of me, so I turned round and headed back to go another way, only to find the lane blocked by more branches after I'd passed the farm. I tried to move them but they were too heavy, and I was quite worried now, thinking I might have to spend the night at the farm! Luckily a neighbour arrived and helped me shift the branches, and I managed to get home safely.

I found Mr Madge sitting glumly in the dark, as the power had gone off. So we dined romantically by candlelight on poppadoms, olives, cold baked beans and a rather nice Sauvignon blanc, but it was a bit scary to hear the roof tiles rattling.

I don't know what I'll find when I attempt to go to the farm later :/

Wow, it looks like I've managed to do alright so far. The worst I've had to contend with are bus delays (which seems to happen whatever the weather) making me a little bit late for work.

Looks like the perfect excuse to stay in and practice paradiddles.

Stay safe everyone.

Feel free to send some that rain this way! We could use it.
I think we've got enough water just on our roads to fill your reservoirs Ian (see picture below).

In our area, the ground water level is at the surface, & we live on the top of a huge hill!!! We have a septic tank system to our property, & the soakaway is barely working. Now that literally becomes a "shitty" problem if not rectified quickly. Luckily, our system has an underground tanked buffer storage of 30,000 litres (about 8,000USG) that I can deploy.

I didn't fancy getting out of the car to try to move the branches in case any more came down on top of me,
Good decision. When trees are dropping big branches or bows due to winter storm conditions, it's actually far more dangerous to be unprotected than when the trees are in leaf. The stuff coming down is often weakened/semi dead stuff and that crap falls off without sound or other notice. I hope all is well with the animals this morning.

Cold beans? = kinky ;)

I hope all is well with the animals this morning.

All fine, thank goodness. No further damage to the barn or anything else. My big lad can be a prize knob at the best of times but he was only a bit more neurotic than usual, and nothing fazes the Boy Wonder.

It's an absolutely glorious day here: bright, cold and still. If it weren't for the arboreal debris all over the place, you'd never know anything had happened.

Cold beans? = kinky ;)

I prefer the term "unconventional" - but Mr Madge declined the beans and had a sandwich instead.

All fine, thank goodness. No further damage to the barn or anything else. My big lad can be a prize knob at the best of times but he was only a bit more neurotic than usual, and nothing fazes the Boy Wonder.

It's an absolutely glorious day here: bright, cold and still. If it weren't for the arboreal debris all over the place, you'd never know anything had happened.

I prefer the term "unconventional" - but Mr Madge declined the beans and had a sandwich instead.

you need to find a way to refrigerate that sack of dead clams or they will start to smell.

Andy, that roadway is unreal, are those a few rooftops of cars in there?

arboreal debris
I love our language :)

Andy, that roadway is unreal, are those a few rooftops of cars in there?
Probably roofs of cars, although I can't confirm that. Water's easily deep enough, as it's covering all the central barrier structures.

There's a stranded tractor at the bottom of our lane this morning. Ok, it's only a small tractor, but looking at the water mark, it must have been at least 7ft deep! A calm (ish) day today, but another storm due in tomorrow. A predicted 2" of rain for our area. With nowhere for that water to go except into the valley, I think we're in for another crap ride.

Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)

you need to find a way to refrigerate that sack of dead clams or they will start to smell.

I'm eating one now. Not a hope of them lasting long enough to go off, so don't worry!

A predicted 2" of rain for our area. With nowhere for that water to go except into the valley, I think we're in for another crap ride.

Crikey :/ Never mind building drums - build an Ark!

Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)

You know it's bad when you see stuff like that! When we lived in the south-east of England, we used to get canoeists paddling down our lane.

Back