New to the Show

Pintado

Hello everyone,

I'm a new drummer that's just started playing a few months ago and I'd like to get some input on something. What I'm wondering is were do you find people to play with or groups to get involved with?

Let me give you some background. I'm a late in life drummer (48 years young) and I've had some musical background but it's been a number of years. I'm not in the music business nor do I really plan on it. Mostly because my day job pay the bills and gives me some extra spending money.

I've rally fallen for the drums and really enjoy practicing and I have a great instructor. I have weekly lessons and practice at least an hour a day. To this point I've been working with just the snare. I just finished putting my kit together this week and I've just started working with it. Here's where the issue comes in. Where do I go from here. I'm not good enough yet to get involved with a band, but I really like to play with some people. If for nothing else to help me gauge where I'm at and what I need to work on. I've thought about getting some music to play along with, but I'm not really setup for that yet.

I guess is what I'm asking is what does a beginner do from this point? I know at some point practicing without an end goal in mind will burn me out. I'd like to hear your thoughts or suggestions.

Take care,

Dave K

get some isolation headphones and plug into your ipod and play to songs! I did this for the first 5 years or so of drumming (still do it now) alongside playing with other musicians and it does wonders for your feel and timing
Also try local rehearsal studio's or facebook or something and just ask if people want to play? you dont have to be vinnie colauita to mess around to some songs with other musicians!
That said you could put this off for a while until you feel more comfortable with your kit and have more of a repertoire under your belt (this will also help when you eventually do come to play with some other musicians and you get the inevitable "what shall we play?")

Just some ideas :)

Get some drum set instruction from your teacher. Start playing to some songs and when you feel you're ready, you can put an ad on Craigslist and get together with some people that are at the same level as you are.

Playing with others will help you tremendously.

You could also check out joinmyband.com, drummers seem to be the most common member people are looking for and you dont have to be looking to start gigging or anything!

Back