Buy Sonor Prolite now...or wait until after NAMM 2013?

Hi,

I want to buy a Sonor prolite, but I'm not really blown away by any of the finishes. There are some I guess I could live with...but none that I think I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!

I hear that Sonor will be releasing some new finishes in the new year at NAMM.

I believe one of them might be a white sparkle. Another could be American Walnut. Not sure if it will be semi or high gloss.

Also, I'm wondering if they will bring out vintage beech prolite. Or whatever they will call it. I'd love to get an SQ2 in beech, but I don't have that kinda money at the moment.

Have any of you Sonor guys heard anything about the new finishes? Or beech prolites?

I like the silver sparkle. Greenbiers music posted a video on YouTube, it looks and sounds amazing.

Have you heard of the newports? Beech infinite? They were still floating around on eBay last time I looked.

I absolutely LOVE Sonor drums, I think they have the best sound, best looking hardware etc....
But the finishes are limited..
I like the sparkles and the walnut roots etc.
That earth one I think is hideous, don't get it at all...
What happened to the marine white pearl?
Best finish ever for a kit imo, they discontinued it...
But sound wise... Hard to beat.

It hasn't yet been a year since they released the ProLites so it's hard to think they might be introducing new colors or anything, but they could. Even if you waited 'til NAMM, it might take a while to get any new color offerings they'll show off then. If you can't wait, then compromise on the color. If you can, take the chance to see what they offer.

Im just bummed they dont offer a variety of sizes on the Prolites, thats what kept me away. I ended up buying Ascents in the sizes I wanted. I have a set of Q2s as well.....and honestly, the difference in quality isnt glaringly obvious. The bearing edges are better on my Ascents than the SQ2s...

F

NAMM is usually when new pricing is announced, sometimes it's in place as of Jan 1, sometimes Feb 1 so some extra orders can be placed right away.

Unless you absolutely have to have a new finish, you'll probably save some money by ordering now.

Bermuda

wait til' NAMM I say!!!

If you don't feel like you HAVE TO HAVE one right now, i think you can twiddle your thumbs for a few months. It's better to be safe and possibly buy one of the new finishes instead of buying a decent one now, then one you like more comes out later

I have a set of Q2s as well.....and honestly, the difference in quality isnt glaringly obvious. The bearing edges are better on my Ascents than the SQ2s...

F

The quality is not really where the difference is.. as the Ascents SHOULD have pristine level due to their price.. but the SHELL is COMPLETELY different. Two different products entirely.

...I want to buy a Sonor prolite, but I'm not really blown away by any of the finishes. There are some I guess I could live with...but none that I think I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!

I hear that Sonor will be releasing some new finishes in the new year at NAMM....

Unless there's some really pressing reason why you have to get a kit right now, I say - wait and see.

The quality is not really where the difference is.. as the Ascents SHOULD have pristine level due to their price.. but the SHELL is COMPLETELY different. Two different products entirely.

enlighten me...my Q2s cost nearly 2.5x as much....

F

Someone over on sonormuseum forum posted that they were in the factory and saw some of the new prolite finishes. He thought one was American Walnut.

22x15 bass drums would be cool.

So no one has any other info?

Florian.. you should know this stuff. Go over to sonormuseum and read around the forum.

Im just asking you to enlighten me on the differences. As far as I can tell the only difference is the cost of labor as both shells are CLTF. Help me out, the Asian shells are made of a similar amount of plies in a similar fashion.....an honest question.

F

This past October at the Sonor factory the prototype finish I saw for the Prolites did look close to the American walnut finish. They were working on some other things but I was so busy with the tour and translating in my head from German to English I didn't take a lot of time to ask. I can ask for you if you want though.

Play what you like and can afford. I started out with the Prolite stage 2 configuration and I ended up getting the 16" floor tom. If I had to do it over again I would likely just get the stage 2 setup; 10",12",14" and 22" bass drum. For most of what I play I can get away with just those sizes. To be honest I am not a huge fan of a 16" floor tom these days. To me it seems the 14" is just a lot easier to work and live with.

For the first price point I really like the white finish and I own one of the most expensive price point finishes.

+1 for the Silver sparkle finish. Something about it just says classy and timeless.

Im just asking you to enlighten me on the differences. As far as I can tell the only difference is the cost of labor as both shells are CLTF. Help me out, the Asian shells are made of a similar amount of plies in a similar fashion.....an honest question.

F

sure.. I sent you pm

The shell thickness comes to mind with differences. The Ascent series comes default with the "heavy" shell thickness. The Select Force has the medium shell thickness. Both are actually slightly greater thickness than the SQ2 medium or heavy shell types.

I think tested with similar heads and shell thickness that the Ascents would come close to the SQ2. Keep in mind there are Sonor endorsers who play Ascent series kits and earn a lot more than myself playing drums.

I think the Ascent sound great. From testing out a lot of SQ2 shell types I think medium shell thickness in any wood variety for toms is what my ears prefer.

I'm considering Ebony White Stripes. In the photos it doesn't look that good. But I saw a kit the other week in 10, 14, 20 and it looked cool. Didn't think I would like that finish in person.

The drum dealer tells me that Red Tribal looks great in person too, but I haven't seen it.

Back