2 singles vs double pedal

CaptainSticks

hey guys, im going to buy pearl eliminators soon but ive kind come up to a bump. i use two bass drums because i like the feel and sound of two bass drums more, but when i have to lug both bass drums around its such a pain, mainly now because i dont have a car that will fit it all, if i want to take it all i would have to pay for gas to take the full kit.

long-story-short, do you guys think i should buy a double kick pedal or two singles?
(sorry if this is long and possibly confusing)

thing is i cant decide, only thing im concerned with is the transportation. i cant tell if its worth taking my second bass out of my set up.

I don't play double bass myself, but if I did I would certainly want a double kick kit. Double pedals are expensive and often unreliable. I would get a direct drive pedal for each though, as they always work. You could do something cool and get a left double pedal. This way you can tune one bass for example tight and punchy and other other boomy and open and set them up both in the same kit. The drum on the right will feature a single pedal (main bass) and the double pedal will be right there for access to the one on the left with a different sound. This way you could play tight double bass on the punchy drum and have a single pedal for the open "Bonham" type of sound. it's just an idea though

i'd stick with the 2 singles n just have a play around wiht placement of the drums in ur car, i'm sure u can make it fit if you put ur mind to it. 2 single pedals will allow you to be more accurate and more speedy i think, because there is no lag on the slave pedal, less adjustment of the settings and such and i reckon it looks better :)

Or just take the skins off 2 of them and put them inside each otha

I don't play double bass myself, but if I did I would certainly want a double kick kit. Double pedals are expensive and often unreliable. I would get a direct drive pedal for each though, as they always work.

I am not sure about "unreliable." Tama, Pearl, DW, axis have all lasted for years in most situations.

My Trick bigfoot (along with axis) meet the issue in the middle. They are double pedals that are two full pedals connected via camshaft. They can be separated and used as singles. And of course, no "drone" pedal issues.

Incidentally, a decent double pedal like the gibraltar direct drive is just about $200. A second kick drum can cost $450 or more *and* you must buy a second pedal. So there really is no way that a second kick is cheaper. Direct drive, chain or strap have always worked for me.

thanks guys for the thoughts, i already have a 2 bass drums, and ive been using two pearl 120Ps for 4 years now, so i thought it would time be nice to upgrade.

thanks guys for the thoughts, i already have a 2 bass drums, and ive been using two pearl 120Ps for 4 years now, so i thought it would time be nice to upgrade.

Get the eliminators! You will love them. The P-120 will feel sloppy by compare.

Get the eliminators! You will love them. The P-120 will feel sloppy by compare.

yeah i bet :)! i had a iron cobra but i didnt really like it as much as i did when i tested it in a store. i actually liked the 120s more, so im excited for my next trip to the drum store. maybe then ill post pics of my kit(though it is crappy, it makes due).

I started playing double kick around 75. There were no options, really, other than dragging 2 kick drums around. My kit got bigger, and my cars/trucks/vans got bigger. If you're still at the stage of begging for transportation, go with a double-pedal. I'm not sure about the Pearl Elim., but most all high-end pedals can be separated, and the slave turned into a main. My DW 5000 worked that way. Also, my Intruder. Once you get a set of wheels, then add the second kick drum into the equation, if you really think you need it.

I agree with Harryconway...go with a double pedal...
then you could always bring the other bass drum back
when you get your new vehicle :^)

I started playing double kick around 75. There were no options, really, other than dragging 2 kick drums around. My kit got bigger, and my cars/trucks/vans got bigger. If you're still at the stage of begging for transportation, go with a double-pedal. I'm not sure about the Pearl Elim., but most all high-end pedals can be separated, and the slave turned into a main. My DW 5000 worked that way. Also, my Intruder. Once you get a set of wheels, then add the second kick drum into the equation, if you really think you need it.

Totally agree with Harry! You may actually find that after you start using the double pedal you might like it enough that you have no desire to drag that second kick back out ;-)

As far as reliability that was mentioned in an earlier post, I can see it with cheap pedals but I've never had a problem with a high end double failing!

I'd do the double pedal that splits into 2 singles thing. I own the trick bigfoot double also (best pedal ever made), but my old yamaha double can split into 2 singles too so i know there are a bunch of them on the market. Transportation and feel are not the only 2 considerations, I just played a gig this past saturday that i had to squeeze my bop kit into (my main studio kit is a monster double bass with 2 tier cage), the entire kit had to fit on a space six feet wide by five feet deep. Ain't no way a double kick would have fit in that space, not even 2 18x14's.

Last edited:
Back