issue on speed cobra

razorjack

Hi guys, I'm probably a newbie, but since I did wrong choice to buy a speed cobra without first thoroughly tested, I now find myself with a very trivial question as easy to deal with, but having no points of reference, need a response required by other

these are 4 videos explaining that I did just to make things easier, and I ask you, is this normal? I have an iron cobra that does not do this for years, but the speed cobra has a different mounting system, and so this is where I stand the doubts

http://youtu.be/W_6QOlihe9s
http://youtu.be/lRTSWdzm6EM
http://youtu.be/n0WJms1pipQ
http://youtu.be/eLvot3eEhzQ

in my humble opinion there is excessive movement, as well as a movemente inner the bearing hole

but I leave it to you to disprove or confirm that I think

thanks to all of you in 1000

John

If everything is tightened that can be tightened, you have some nasty shaft bearings in the post, and poor U-joint. Most U-joints loosen up after awhile, but no way on a new pedal, unless it's a bargain brand of some kind. Even then U-joints should be decent. Yours are not.

I'd take it back to your retailer and get it replaced or get your money back.

Not sure if this is correct but I have read where Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, etc., are now having their pedals made in China, and quality control has become an issue.

These "issues" are well-known on the Speed Cobra. They have a floating bearing housing design, making the pedal super quick, but also having some play in the bearing housing. It is part of the design. I have had my Speed Cobras for awhile and have that same play with no issues so far

Something is definately wrong with the slave. The last video is painful to watch. It should have a warning: "Graphic. May not be suitable for some viewers."

I have a new SC double, I will see if I can find what would cause that issue.

I just checked mine and I have the same play in the right bearing of the Slave pedal. I Aldo was holding the left beater and moving the left pedal by hand and had a little less play then you have on one of your vids. It is an addition of all the tiny plays of all the u joints. I bought mine when it 1st came out.
I play an acoustic and don't hear any noise at all and didn't even notice the play until today. Doesn't bother me a bit and I eon't do a thing about it.
I don't have thst clicking sound like on your last video though

I just checked my Speed Cobra and I have the same issue. Going to check and make sure everything is tight, but I am passed the return period so I will have to figure out how to get into contact with TAMA. The spring on the main pedal broke today, and the TAMA site seems to only offer a forum as their method of customer support. This is my first time buying a TAMA product and will probably be the last. So far quality and customer support leave a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, I had a PDP 900 cymbal stand that broke and DW sent me out a new one immediately. Excellent customer support.

I have speed cobra as well...single pedal. My experience has been very good so far. I find it to be very smooth....however not as smooth as the Demon Drive which is what I have on the kit right now.

I did have some chain "backlash" with the speed cobra...and also with the dw9000 and the top of the footboard was slamming into the bottom of the rotor. In those cases I found I had set my footboard higher than it really should have been and also using a poor foot technique where I was smacking the pedal with my foot. Since then I have lowered the boards a bit and improved my technique...so with lower board and improved foot control I am not experiencing any issues with either pedal...

At this point I find the demon drive and Pro1-V to be my preferred pedals; they are too expensive and certainly not necessary to have...their are drummers with Speed kings that will wipe the floor with me on the kick....but I love the way those two feel, man....the pro1-V is just exceeding every expectation.

I have heard mixed reviews with the Demon Drive, but I might have to pick one up after reading your post.

That is a defect in the design of the Iron Cobras and Speed Cobra's. Functionally the pedals will work fine. but there will always be some wobble in slave side due to the floating bearing housing.

Back