Single Pedal advice

Hey all! I'm a new drummer and recently purchased a used Pearl Forum kit for a great price. The kit came with a Tama Iron Cobra jr double bass pedal. At the moment I am not interested in using a double bass pedal so I removed the second plate and connection rod. I am starting to think that maybe I should just pick up a good single pedal to get me started. What are your thoughts?

I like something smooth, and very simple that is light to hit.

Cheers!

For just starting an Iron cobra jr. is fine. Eventually you will develop your own taste in pedals, but until then save your money and just practice. And not playing double bass in the beginning is absolutely the right way to learn drums.

For just starting an Iron cobra jr. is fine.
+1. Hell of a lot better pedal, than what I started out with (40+ years ago). Learn about all the adjustments. Get your foot on every pedal you can, and then, make a decision.​
And welcome to Drummerworld.​

Thanks for the great replies! My only gripe with this pedal is the slave batter which gets in the way of my shoes at times. Is it possible to completely remove the slave batter which would basically make my cobra jr look and feel like the single model?

Is it possible to completely remove the slave batter which would basically make my cobra jr look and feel like the single model?
Yes, you should be able to remove the beater. It'll take a drum key, to do so. The set screw will (I believe, on the IC Jr) behind the beater shaft, facing your foot).​

Hey all! I'm a new drummer and recently purchased a used Pearl Forum kit for a great price. The kit came with a Tama Iron Cobra jr double bass pedal. At the moment I am not interested in using a double bass pedal so I removed the second plate and connection rod. I am starting to think that maybe I should just pick up a good single pedal to get me started. What are your thoughts?

I like something smooth, and very simple that is light to hit.

Cheers!

A single pedal is a good idea if you're learning to play. Work that hi-hat with your left foot.

If your current pedal isn't smooth, clean it up and lube it. And lightness can come from spring and other adjustments. If the pedal you have isn't defective or anything, it should do just fine.

Back