New heads

adtr342

Hey, Im looking to buy some new heads, i got a sonor 503 series, hi-tom (12x11), floor tom (16x17) bass drum (22x18)- and i think its made from birch- which i have used for as long as i have been drumming, being about 7 years. The only thing that remains the same in the set are the toms, bass drum and stands, and In the 7 years i have only ever changed 1 head, the batter on my hi tom which i changed to a remo pinstripe, purely because it was the first one i found in my music shop that was the right size. The rest remain to be stock heads.

Now because i am in a hardcore band and i want to get the best out of this kit without actually buying a new one. Im only really worried about the tom batters and reso, and the bass batter. I would buy a reso for the bass, but i really cant afford it. Im recording with my band within the next few months, however i see us as being more of a gigging band so if you could suggest a head suitable for both of those purposes that would be great.With the toms i kind of want a deep, booming sound you hear in alot of hardcore bands, but not completely dead sound, thinking along the lines of matt greiner in august burns red. Ive been looking at evans lately and i love the sound of the ec2's online, but alot of people online criticise it and i dont really know who to believe. The g2s also look awesome but im not sure whether theyll give me that booming sound.

I use EC2s currently - I find them great for controlling the larger drums but a little too choking on the smaller toms.

Going forward I'm looking to put EC2 over G1 (or G2) on my 16" FT and G2s over G1s on my 10"/12"/13"rack toms.

Grab some Moongel and you can adapt your sound for studio/live within the space of about 1.5 minutes.

i change my batter heads 2~4 times a year, and reso heads at least once a year. bass drum gets both sides once a year, snare batter gets done very very often (ever 2 months or so) and the snare reso every 2~3 times every time i do the batter..... so i'd definitely save your pennies and reskin your WHOLE kit. especially if you're recording. you might want to stave the new skins (both sides) for just before you go into the studio, so you get the most out of your kit. or on the other hand you could possibly hire a kit, or the studio you may goto might have a drum kit.

ec2's and g2's are both very nice. its all up to you though. if you want to be safe get g2's over g1's, a gmad/emad/emad2 for your bass drum and either eq4 reso or emad reso.

Cheers for the help so far guys, yeah i know i should've changed em really but im a student so im just so poor haha. They should definitely make heads cheaper, especially the bass heads. But yeah ive got no shot of changing my heads that often really. However i will admit its been far too long. Its only a cheap kit, but i could get it sounding great i think.

I do love the sound of the ec2's online as toms, but im worried whether itd be too risky getting em over g2s, are they that different? am i worrying too much haha?... and does anyone know whether itd be better to get clear or coated? ive been playing with clear up till now.

Alright cheers man, i may be able to squeeze in a replacement of all heads... worst case scenario i may have to leave my snare, but to be fair that still sounds pretty good

Going forward I'm looking to put EC2 over G1 (or G2) on my 16" FT and G2s over G1s on my 10"/12"/13"rack toms.

I may do the same, ec2 on bigger g2 on smaller... best of both worlds :) if g2s are too high ill just tune em low, ill get some moon gel as well as you suggested if i want to control the g2s a bit more

aquarian studio x over classic clear resos and for the kick you can get a package deal from music 123 on ebay, super kick 1 with a ported regulator front head for about $60 with free shipping

Back