Sorry guys i dislike terry bozzio.

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
I find his rythms very weak, and do not enjoy his performances, anyone else?

ditto.
I'd like to play/destroy with overzelous enthusiasm, his kit though.

Terry is one of my technical heroes, but I must admit preferring him in a band situation... Missing Persons was my favorite of his. I'm a big fan of Zappa from all eras, and I like some of Terry's work with him, but so much of Zappa's material was purely self-indulgent musician's music, and not really enjoyable to me.

Bermuda

Oh, yeah.
I feel that no one can doubt the man's technical expertise. I'm a "Raw Emotion" sort of guy and tend to find his type to be kinda boring. His skills are great but, i'd just like to see a fun groove once in a while, which I am sure with his level of ability, he could provide. Granted I'm no expert on his work.

That all sounded so much more cohesive in my head.

I have followed Terry's musical career since he was with Zappa. I think his best work was on Zappa's Zoot Alures. Solid drumming rather than flamboyant and technical showmanship.

GJS

He's a pro drummer and he married a Playboy bunny. If you're still hauling your own gear I suggest you need more practice and less opinions.

I saw Terry playing in 1975 on Uncle Frank's Bongo Fury tour. What did I think of it? The next day I bought Bongo Fury. Lots of amazing hero fills and I really liked to hear a big display of drumming testosterone back then.

He's a superb drummer but there's no law that says anyone has to enjoy his style. There's someone for everyone!

I think he was brilliant on all the Missing Persons stuff. I listened to those albums to death! A lot of really straight forward stuff that just rocked, but also some pretty over the top brilliant drumming, too. Especially US Drag. Amazing.

He also played on Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, which I also listened to constantly, and saw them on tour in Yokohama, Japan. That was the first time I saw him and man, was I floored! He was hitting like Dave Grohl or Frankie Banali - pure power and authority with just stunning drum parts. He owned that arena. That performance will live with me forever and cemented in me the absolute need to combine the power with the cool.

I've heard his recent work and seen some vids of his mammoth monstrosity of a kit and it just leaves me cold. I'd rather not follow his career too closely now because I don't want to see anything that might further taint my memories of his greatness.

For crying out loud, the guy's had a 35+ year drumming career. Is it the stuff he did with Frank Zappa, what you "find weak"? Or his Missing Persons work? The UK - Danger Money album, perhaps. Or his work with Jeff Beck? Maybe the two albums he did with Tony Levin and Steve Stevens. The guy's pretty much done it all. Covered all the bases. Granted, his newest stuff.......but he paid his dues and now he gets to do what he wants to do, which pretty much looks like he answers to no one, but himself, now.
He's a pro drummer and he married a Playboy bunny. If you're still hauling your own gear I suggest you need more practice and less opinions.
Good one.

So unless I'm at the same level as someone (however you calculate that), I can't have an opinion about them?

He didn't say that Terry was a bad drummer (which I believe everyone here would agree he most definitely isn't), just that he personally didn't like his playing.

Personally, I enjoy some of his work with various bands (my favourite album of his is probably Steve Vai's "Sex & Religion"), but his solo stuff is pretty uninteresting to me. Technically impressive and original, yes, but not something I find enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
I liked his work with Zappa, missing persons and the solo's. What I didn't like is that he didnt invite Vinnie C to the drumchannel "Best zappa drummers-episode". Maybe it has to do with the whole zappa-audition thingy.

I like Bozzio. His more orchestrated work and monster kit pieces are less appealing to me but his playing in a band context is really good.

In the late 80's, he was out on the road with Jeff Beck. I saw him in concert on a tour where one night Beck opened for Stevie Ray Vaughn and then the next night SRV opened for Beck.

I had never heard of Terry Bozzio then. He was wild and crazy looking. He had numerous earrings, piercings and a wacked out Missing Persons style hair do.

He had chains connecting his nose ring to his earring to his nipple ring, and more than one. He played with this amazing reckless abandon and this metal was jingling and flying all over the place.

His drumming rocked and it was like he was channeling Jeff Beck's thoughts. I was a fan from then on.

Looking back it was so out of character to his look and playing now.

Bozzio is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. AnimalBeats, you might like his post Zappa stuff.

I think that is slightly unfair because you don't have to be a highly sucessful drummer to have an opinion about a drummer or his playing style. Yes, obviously having a technical understanding of the drums might help you appreciate what he's doing a bit more but i still don't think that is going to make someone like what he's actually playing from an emotional point of view.

well, i have to hold my hands up and say i've never heard any of his in band playing. But his solos i cant stand. If you have any tracks you think might change my mind please suggest them.

I find his rythms very weak, and do not enjoy his performances, anyone else?

Please be more specific. What do you not like about his rythms? What do you think of his timing (particularly live)?

I'm not a fan of his, but the only drummers I can say that I don't really like are the wallflower 2/4 guys that just get alot of notoriety because they play for AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, etc. Terry has worked harder than most drummers at his craft.

Please be more specific. What do you not like about his rythms? What do you think of his timing (particularly live)?

I'm not a fan of his, but the only drummers I can say that I don't really like are the wallflower 2/4 guys that just get alot of notoriety because they play for AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, etc. Terry has worked harder than most drummers at his craft.

In my mind Terry Bozzio is one of those tremendously talented players who has casted himself so deeply into a drumming niche that it has actually worked against him professionally. Zappa's band was perfect for Terry, but very few situations have been so perfect since. I thought it was interesting to see him play with Fantomas, but there really wasn't a great more that he could add to Fantomas that Dave Lombardo couldn't already cover. Nonetheless Terry Bozzio is a very talented drummer. Whether you like the music or not, very few can say they played with Zappa.

Anyway calling Phil Rudd and Charlie Watts wallflowers is just idiotic. Regardless of advanced drumset technique or ability, you're talking about 2 drummers who played so many parts so perfectly. Phill Rudd's time, consistency and precision, is on par with any of the greats, it just so happens that he plays with AC/DC. Charlie Watt's feel for the Rolling Stones's music is amazing and well crafted. His playing on the Exile on Main Street album alone is enough to put him among the greats.

I would say that what Terry does now comes off much better live, in-person, than listening to recorded tracks or watching videos. There's just something about hearing/feeling all those acoustic drums & cymbals live that make the performances exciting. It's kind of like Kodo, the taiko drummers from Japan. I have seen them perform live three times, and I was blown away each time, but I'm not nearly as moved when listening to their CDs. Interestingly enough, Terry's current approach to drumming is very similar to taiko groups like Kodo, in that he creates musical compositions on the drums. The difference being Kodo is an ensemble performance, whereas Terry does it all by himself. If you haven't already, I would urge you to see Terry perform live before you form a final opinion about his performances. (And see Kodo too, if you get the chance.)

well, i have to hold my hands up and say i've never heard any of his in band playing. But his solos i cant stand. If you have any tracks you think might change my mind please suggest them.
Jeff Beck's "Guitar Shop" should do the trick - the whole record demonstrates his very fluid manner and his unique constructions.

Also, "Spring Session M" by Missing Persons is great from beginning to end. There are some epic drum tracks on there. That is, if you can even find it anymore.

These two albums are pretty "standard" drumset-type stuff (for the most part): Double-bass, some rack toms and a couple floor toms. Hi hats and cymbals are mostly standard stuff, too. Except that he was pioneering the china stacks by that time, but at least he was using mostly "regulation" cymbals, too.

I can totally see your point, ANIMALBEATS, if I were new to him now, I wouldn't be floored either. Obviously, his technique is great, but he really sounds best in a good band if you ask me. I've seen him with Jeff Beck as I mentioned, but I've seen two of his clinics, as well. The first was in the early '90s when his kit was still manageable, and the second time with his big kit. I was a lot more impressed with the first clinic than the second.

To the Zappa stuff: I'm going to be a heretic here, and just say that it leaves me as cold as does Bozzio's solo stuff. I was first turned on to Bozzio, Colaiuta, and Wackerman through Zappa, but I just can't get into that kind of music anymore. But o each his own.

em, well its hard to descibe, he seems to be too deeply engrosed in his rythms, a bit too much of a precussionist for my liking, im also a fan of speed, and i dont see displaying that much.

Back