Kennedy Center Honors

MaryO

Platinum Member
Anyone see the broadcast of the Kennedy Center Honors tonight? Great show, as always.
Among the honorees tonight were Led Zep and Buddy Guy. The tributes were awesome and the women knocked it out of the park. Bonnie Raitt, Tracey Chapman and Beth Hart (a chilling performance!) for Buddy Guy and Ann and Nancy Wilson, with a little help on the drums from Jason Bonham, doing Stairway to Heaven.

Anyone who says Heart doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame needs to watch that performance!

Anyways, if you didn't see it, check for vids on YouTube the next few days...some really great performances. Tina Fey did a great speech for David Letterman, too.

Yeah, I thought the Letterman tribute was great. I thought Jack Black's Zep tribute was in really poor taste though. Talking about them going to hell, etc.

Anyone who says Heart doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame needs to watch that performance!

Love Heart as well but to me Ann Wilson is the greatest female vocalist Rock has ever known in my opinion.

I did watch the YT clip from the event as well. Seeing Yo-Yo Ma digging it as well was so freaking cool! Not to mention, you can see that they were completely overwhelmed by Stairway to Heaven.

Damn, that brought tears to my eyes, and figures my wife would have to walk in right at the end, with my eyes welling up! You get more sensitive the older you get. I think you start to realize that life is fleeting, and you are not invincible like you used to think. Great video, thanks Mary!

Me too, which is kinda weird because I do not like either Led Zeppelin or the song all that much. As my wife said, "They nailed it." Peace and goodwill.

I mostly watched for the Led Zep portion, but enjoyed the whole program also. Especially the musical tributes. The Buddy Guy tribute was great and very informative.

The Jack Black thing was just a joke referring to all the crap the media started about Led Zep selling their souls to the devil, and how some of their songs contained satanic messages if you played them backwards, lol...

Here's the link to the Stairway to Heaven performance by Heart and Jason Bonham if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_DOJa99oo&feature=share

Wow....so glad I taped it.What a production.

When I heard the opening,My knee jerk reaction was "oh god....not stairway ...again.But since it was the Wilson sisters and Ann can sing a washing machine instructional manual and make it sound good,I waited it out.

I'm glad I did because it just got better and better.Jasons playing was spot on,and the bowler hats were a beautiful tribute to Bonzo.Touching still was Jasons look up as if to say..this is for you dad.

Some welling of tears for me too,and I think Page and Plant were getting a little teary.

Some of my favorite women in rock,and Beth Hart too.I only recently discovered her,and she is the real deal.I saw her do "Going Down" with Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts

.If that performance dosen't get your toe to tapping,you need to see a doctor.

Steve B

Good show all around. Jack Black was hit and miss in his introduction, but whatever.

A great collection of drummers on stage during the Zeppelin tribute too, with Dave Grohl, Kenny Aronoff and Jason Bonham behind the kit, and Taylor Hawkins again proving he can do more than just slam the drums.

I just saw this last night...honestly, I'm a changed person and musician forever.

I shed a few tears myself at the sheer level of emotion that was captured in this performance.

The hair on my arms is standing as I type, one of the most moving things I've seen.

I thought Heart and stairway were incredible. Perfect voice for the song.

Back