Move drum kit to a smaller room

strangealchemy

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I was hoping if I could get some advice on a doubt I have, about where should I put my drum kit, it's a small drum kit.
I have it in a room that has a length of about 18 ft and a width of about 10 or 13 ft.
This room is a study and it has shelves and bookshelves covering three of the walls (the other wall has a large window that faces the street). The drums sound really loud there, you can hear it from the street and from all the first floor of my house. All of my neighbours can hear it loud and they have already complaint about it. I don't have enough money to soundproof and I'm uncomfortable playing my drums there, so I was thinking about moving them to a very small room in the attic that it's, at a guess, about 15 ft x 15 ft, and it has a low ceiling that kind of descends. That room is empty except that it has a freezer covering half of one wall, above it there's a small window.
What I wonder is if it would sound less loud there, at least from the street so my neighbours don't complain and I can feel more comfortable while playing. I want it to sound good but I'm still a beginner drummer so I have no intention of recording anything, it doesn't have to sound perfect.
Another thing, I've been told that putting a mattress on the wall helps it to not sound loud, is it true?

A room in the basement if you have one would be better, the higher you get the farther the sound will travel. Yes unfortunately windows are horrible about letting sound through, if you can somehow put mattresses in front of them it would help. Soundproofing is something most of us have to go through and it has been discussed many times on here before, I would suggest doing a search on here and see what you can find out. good luck

A room in the basement if you have one would be better, the higher you get the farther the sound will travel. Yes unfortunately windows are horrible about letting sound through, if you can somehow put mattresses in front of them it would help. Soundproofing is something most of us have to go through and it has been discussed many times on here before, I would suggest doing a search on here and see what you can find out. good luck

Agree the higher you go in the house the more the sound will travel through the house, starting with the floor the kit is on transferring vibrations and sound down below. head to the basement if you have one

Back