Thomas Lang

Re: Thomas Lang Dvd?

yeah i have it but it is way above my head. this guy sets the mark for the drummer of the furture. as he says: he does things the way he does it so he compete with programmed drums regardless of their complexity. he has six way independance. but his ideas and exercises are very good. and he is a very likeable teacher. the man is a machine.

j

I thought mot of the begining was easy. I dont really have the time to get in the latter section right now.

Although there are some very advanced excersises, he really does a good job at explaining it so that its easy to understand. He doesn't overcomplicate things and its really simple for me.

he has said it before that he doesnt do solos to show ppl how well he can grove but he throws in little grooves one in a while but doesnt reapeat them so it doesnt sink in.
he is very good though and desereves alot of credit.

LiquidSoul546 said:
i don't like his sense of groove, but he can improve, he's pretty young still.
That's what a lot of people seem to think, but he's actually 38 in a few weeks.

darkcherryfade - where are you from??? I will sell you the dvd - if you really want it, I bought it when I was working in usa, but that wasn/t the best way to invest my money..from 100 exercices, there are max. 10 that are useful . . .the others are, I don't know how to say, but you couldn't use it in regular - mainstream music... the best exercise IMHO is this one :

R - accented righ hand
r - right hand, tap
L - accented left hand
l - left hand, tap

I suggest start really slowly...

triplets
Rlrlrlrl Rlrlrlrl Rlrlrlrl ( Rlr Lrl Rlr )

triplets
Lrlrlrlr Lrlrlrlr Lrlrlrlr ( Lrl Rlr Lrl )

than I upraded it for my self and that goes like this
triplets
RlrlrlRl rlrlRlrl rlRlrlrl ( Rlr Lrl Rlr )
triplets
LrlrlrLr lrlrLrlr lrLrlrlr ( Lrl Rlr Lrl )

yeah :)

I was a bit dissapointed in the DVD. I thought it should be more about groove. He talks about that it's important to groove, but his playing doesn't get in my pocket. It's too much double bass/advanced feet work all the time. Even he starts out some electronica song pretty cool, he starts doing those double bass licks which certainly don't belong in such a style.

BUT I agree. He should have credits for his amazing technique. He and Marco Minnemann has really set a new standard for feet work and coordination.

Thomas Lang has a great groove. His DVD is mostly about technique. He's got that to spare, but also, keep in mind he's one of London's first call pop session drummers. If you look at his profile here, there's some pretty big names on there. I don't think they'd hire him in the studios if he didn't have taste and groove.

I don't get a good feel for him.

It was said that legandary instructor and creator of the most popular drum book, jim chapin, admired jazz drummers such as buddy rich and gene krupa for there sense of groove.

My point is that no matter how technical you are, the sound you achive outweighs it.

And the person with the best sound is of course john bonham :)

theduke86 said:
Thomas Lang has a great groove. His DVD is mostly about technique. He's got that to spare, but also, keep in mind he's one of London's first call pop session drummers. If you look at his profile here, there's some pretty big names on there. I don't think they'd hire him in the studios if he didn't have taste and groove.

I reckon he just threatens to travel back in time and kill their parents if they don't give him the gig...

i've seen tl live and i was so amazed by his doublebass playing that i started working with his dvd and those exercises helped me a lot..in my opinion he's one of the best drummers..

Back