Dom Famularo

i havn't heard much about him. but after watching the videos of him on vic virth he seems like an awsome guy, as well an very talented drummer.

Dom is a great gift to our industry. An amazing player, teacher and inspirer.

Watching his solos is like going to a movie!

I saw Dom in 1985. He is the best clinician I've seen to date. He may not be the most popular drummer out there, or even the most recorded, but man has this guy been a huge influence in my life. Even though I only got to watch and listen to him for 35-45 minutes, my life was changed profoundly for the better.

When I was 9 and I'd just started playing, back in 1987 the music store I was taking lessons at had Dom come do a clinic. It was amazing, one of my earliest memories after starting to play. He was and is very inspirational to me. Many lessons I've studied and practiced out of his 'It's Your Move' book. I'm also glad he's now a Mapex endorser. :)

I really want to know how long he spent practicing that paternal laugh at the end of his Vic Firth clips. It's as perfectly executed as his drumming!

He's an absolute champion. Very American - I don't think you'd accept a British guy going quite so outlandishly over the top - but absolutely infectious. It's hard to walk away from anything he's done thinking that drumming isn't the most noble of endeavours that mankind has ever embarked upon. Absolute nonsense, but a nice feeling :)

Dom Famularo, the man, the drummer, the laugh. I think Dom's an incredible musician, who has a real passion about the instrument he plays.
I've checked out some of his "cyber-lessons" with Jim Chapin (another drum legend),they're a were a real bonus when it came to the moeller technique. And as for his laugh. I just feel he genuinly enjoys what he does.
If it raises a smile from you that can't be a bad thing, lessons should be fun.
HaHaHaa.

you know you are a good drummer when you have your own thread and there inst a single negative statement about you.
dom is sick. he looks liek a regular dude as my teacher said but he is a monster behind the kit.

Very true. These bozos in Houseofdrumming started bashing him, some site that has a false counter number of hits, that worships Weckl and Vinnie.

Passionate guy that gets you with him into passion.
I saw a clinic with him two years ago, that was my very first and the most impressing I guess. I like his positive vibe and explosive enthusiasme when he speaks and then suddenly has this concentrate (almost sever) look when he gets into a groove and ends up into a deep passionate solo.
Great personnality, awesome drummer !!

I think he revolutionized the double pedal too, but I may be wrong. His 85 clinic had him demonstrating a single kick with the double pedal.

But I may have just been the uninformed 15 year old that I was at the time.

I believe that about the double pedals. Chapin said that he was the fastest double bass player in the 80's. I wouldn't count him out now though. But I doubt that's his focus or anything.

Dom Famularo wrote a great book called its your move and he studied with Joe Morello thats all i know about him

He also wrote a book that helps people improve themselves on all levels. It's called Cycle of Self-Empowerment, a very powerful motivational book

JohnMunsey said:
Very true. These bozos in Houseofdrumming started bashing him, some site that has a false counter number of hits, that worships Weckl and Vinnie.

I don't know if "Bozos" would be an appropriate characterization for a drummer forum (HOD) run by a drummer the calibre of Steve Holmes, and that is frequented by drummers like Peter Erskine, Steve Hass, Gary Husband, etc. But, I do think they were unfair to Dom F. He may not be the most accomplished studio drummer out there but he's a fine drummer and a great, inspirational educator.

Back