Off the Throne?

Believe it or not i like to work.

You lucky sod.

I sit at work and dream about doing a job i enjoy, as appossed to hate, but unfortuantly my skill is in a profession that i have fallen out of love with.

Which is why i love my drums and my football, (Soccer to the boys across the pond) amongest of other things.

It takes an awesome guy with a ton of self confidence and an ability to take himself lightly without worrying what others think to say this.

Also takes great talent to be average at 235 things.

That's a nice thing to say. But i would say that it's one thing telling people how you feel on a forum, quite another actually saying it to someone in real life. and i seriously have little self confidence. I was looking at this girl at a gig, the 2nd time i've actually been out on a night without mum or dad this year and i was too scared to talk to her.

Also i think that learning anything is like an exponent in terms of what level you're at and how much effort it requires to improve from thereonin. IE it starts out really easy to get so far but i appear but then you get to the bit where the gradient becomes 1, the bit where you have to actually start putting some effort in, in order to make the same progress that you have been doing before and eventually the gradient is almost vertical and you're doing a lot just to maintain your current level, let alone make progress. But you're really good at this point so that's the tradeoff really. I'm sort of at the gradient 1 bit but i just haven't really bothered with the effort so i'm not getting very much better very fast. I think if i am any good at anything it's more to do with the fact that i've been doing it for a long time. A bit like the way we manage to have like 400 friends on the band myspace, it's not because we've actually done anything, it's just because i've had it as a profile since 2006 and you tend to pick up a lot of friends over that time.

I'm basically one of these idiots who does loads of stuff but is not actually any good at any single one of them! That includes drumming. I can do drumming, guitar, bass, recording and producing, accounting drawing, computers, soldering, woodwork, spray finishing, weightlifting, engineering, physics, maths and chemistry. All of these are about the "D" grade standard i would say. IE not really terrible, but not very good either.

I'm hearing you, Eddie - I've dabbled in lots of things - drumming, keyboards, sequencing/programming music, writing songs, writing prose, digital art (digitally painted/drawn, not auto-generated stuff), cartooning, web design, ethics & philosophy, statistics (yes, I know it's weird), tennis, ping pong. I also play guitar badly.

When I was younger I was keen of lapidary and jewellery making and my standard joke when I started drumming was I went from rocks to rock and stones to ...

Pretty ordinary in all areas, although I have great talent for downing skim milk cappuccinos. I think it doesn't much matter what you do or how good you are at anything, just as long as you're enthusiastic.

Like Larry, I'm a web/news junkie and at the moment and my main fix is Drummerworld.

Last edited:

Fun music and nice video of a pair of... i mean of various Fcars :)

Fyi, learned to track using a 308 (pic below) and have toured the factory plus Mr. Pininfarina took me into their facility and hung out with them for a while too. Of the cars in that vid the vintage 12-cyl carbed barchetta or the F40 with enhanced brakes and uprated turbos would be my pick. The new cars are too Xbox/Playstation-esque for my preferences. Prefer a more RAW type of track car versus all the whiz-gizmo things in the newer ones, though will admit the new whizzy-bits can reduce lay times due to the tranny speed-matching during downshifts and quick upshifts. Am still not a fan of ABS/traction control... but that's my preferences. To each their own and all that.

top_diag.jpg

door_open.jpg

PS: SCARY FCAR MOMENT: Was at a Ferrari track event and a very rare 12-cyl barchetta with inexperienced driver was in far front of me going slowish. As i gained on him and he was about six car lengths in front of me he oversteered right and walled his car going up the hill of the boot at WGI. Had to make a split-second decision and i figured due to his inexperience he would NOT hold the brakes and so JUST barely missed t-boning him. If i had made a wrong split-second choice...

MAN i love the track!!!

Watching my son play drums in his band, anytime when we're all together as a family, chopping wood, building fires, running my fingers through my wife's hair whilst she sleeps.

You son plays drums? That sounds like fun!

but it must have been tempting to steer him towards the flute or harmonica to save on all the lugging and mucking around :)

You son plays drums? That sounds like fun!

but it must have been tempting to steer him towards the flute or harmonica to save on all the lugging and mucking around :)
Cheers aydee, I am almost normal some of the time! Actually Polly, I tried to get my son to play drums from an early age but he showed no interest. Only when I set my kit up above my garage when we moved house did he catch the bug. He was 15. At 18, he now plays in a band with an average age of 40. He's grown so much as a player. The band isn't his genre but that's even more ability building. I'm very proud of him and he knows that.

Off the Throne

Talking about accountants, it reminds me of a funny story....

Of course you 2 remember my brain surgeries from last year. On my first one, when I woke up in ICU, they were asking me common questions..
What year is this?
Whos the President?
What is your name?
etc etc...

I said "Look, Im fine.." then I spurted off my wifes SSN in the ICU room to the nurses, and I also counted off Pi to the 12th digit. They laughed at me and said that I was fine.

There has been precious little time behind the drums for the past year. Lots of RL distractions, and a few very nice road trips. I guess I'd say my other favorite place to be is in my comfy recliner between the fireplace and the window with the view of the bay, writing on my little Alpha Neo. I just finished my third National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo ... challenge to write a 50K word novel every November), and now ready to start editing last year's 540-page epic, Shadows of Duluth, which I plan to self-publish this spring. The 2007 and this year's novels will be next, to publish before November and time to start all over again.

I did sit down to the drums this morning, slapped on the headphones and discovered that (a) I still love it; and (b) I can still do a passable job of it! :cool:

Back