Snare head reso port

Jon B

Theres been some talk lately of a ported reso on toms, and while that idea generally seems to be a bust, what about ports on a reso on a snare? Snares dont need to have all the resonance toms do (in many opinions, some may disagree) and have a back head because otherwise the snares wouldnt work, so this seems like a way to get snare sound without having reso head sound. I dont have the money to try it right now but as soon as i do im going to try (if someone with an old head lying around could try that would be awesome!) I think that it would make a super dry sound, or atleast lower overtones/ringing. Any thoughts on this?
I think size wise maybe 2 half inch ports on opposite sides or one 1 inch, maybe 1.5 inch at the most (for a 14 inch snare) Does this seem reasonable, based on experience? Based on the idea that a 22 inch bass drum has a 4 inch port, proportionally the port should be 2.54 inches, but that seems a bit much to me. (my math is 22/4=14/x for all you math people, just a basic proportion)

Snare reso's are usually under more tension than a tom reso....and certainly more than a bass drum reso. I'd be worried that it would affect the ability to adequately tension the thing, as well as any potential adverse affect on the snare sensitivity.

Never tried it. Not going to either......no interest on my behalf. But good luck with it. Let us know what you find.

I was thinking about that, and i think that placing the port in further or rather cutting out slits might work. The more ideas i have to think about before i pick one the better, so if you have any let loose.

Back