Snare guess.....

Terrence R

Silver Member
I may be purchasing this snare from a fellow. It's a 2 hour drive away. He says that it's a 14x7 Black Panther and is Maple. Funny thing is, he says that the badge fell off of it and he doesn't have it. What do you guys think? Does it look like what he says it is to you. It definitely looks like an older style IMO. Like, possible early to mid 90's. Also, notice the 8 lug design. Theirs a pdp batter on it. I'm not sure why someone would put that particular head on it. This is the only pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 450
Ah yes.....The "badge fell off" and the "dog ate my homework" too.
Those are not Mapex lugs. I don't recognize those lugs. Older Pearl or Yamaha?
If I HAD to guess, which I will, its a custom made snare. Given that if it sounded good I'd still buy it for the right price, Black Panther or not.

It may be another brand but I've never seen a Mapex with that hardware.

I have to agree "the badge fell off" along with the non-Mapex lugs smells fishy to me.

I would also guess custom made.
I would also guess he put the PDP batter on it because stock batters are generally inferior and he doesn't want to waste a good head.

It may be a good sounding drum but....2 hour drive? I'd rather take my chances with eBay or craigslist.

My .02

Good points. I'm glad that u guys noticed that the hardware isn't/ doesn't look like Mapex as I'm not all that familiar with those snares. Although it could turn out to be a good snare, it doesn't sound like its worth putting the time-in to find out. Thanx.

Not a drum of any brand (that's why there's no badge haha!).

Lugs seem to be Sonor copies from the 80's (Sonor should use that style again IMO).
Might sound nice, but a 2 hour drive, and the guy isn't honest. Paaaasss.

There are too many nice used drums that are legit, to think twice about this one.

Not that it matters but it looks like a Remo head with a pdp muffle ring.

As Karl pointed out, Those look like the old Sonor lugs from the '80s. I'm not familiar enough with Sonor to say if that's a Sonor strainer, though. But if it did turn out to be a Sonor, it could be a potential score. I've seen lots of custom drums (having had a couple sets myself) and sometimes you can get lug casings from some of the major manufacturers, but not from DW, Yamaha, and perhaps Sonor (?), but they also could have been canibalized from some old Sonor. Who knows. That would explain the lack of a badge. In any case, I'm fairly sure Mapex never used those lugs.

The larger concern for me would be not knowing anything about the shell itself. It could be beech or pine!

Again I'm with Karl - PASS!

I don't deal with liars but that is a really great looking snare.

Maybe that's what he was told about it...

It's NOT a Sonor snare. Sonor's lugs had the little mallet logo on them.

$(KGrHqF,!pcE-w!hEE0tBPzn8U5JWQ~~60_35.JPG

Definite home job. Look at the hoops. That's spray paint. Real plated hoops are mirror like and plated all the way around, those have no luster and you can see the chrome on the underside of the bottom hoop at the tension screws. And I like that big fat scratch on the shell too.

Aria produced a snare in the '80s and 90's that was very similar. Don't walk away, run....

It's NOT a Sonor snare. Sonor's lugs had the little mallet logo on them.

$(KGrHqF,!pcE-w!hEE0tBPzn8U5JWQ~~60_35.JPG

Oh, FOR SURE NOT a Sonor Drum. The lugs on that snare also have the 3 lines that "kinda" have that Ludwig look too. People that "don't really know" when they are buying get the feeling they may have seen them before, so they subconsciously "seem like they're good"....

Pearl lugs were copied up the wazzoo on a ton of kits too (like on my Royce kit, AKA Maxwin, Sears catalog kits, etc...).

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember TRAK drums might have used that "Sonor style" lug on one of their models. I think one of the Rogers 360, or 380 kits back in the 80's had something similar too.

"The badge fell off, and I don't have it" is my favorite part though. Jeeeze. Too bad it was so far away, and just for curiosity you could see if there was even a mark on the shell from where the badge supposedly was.

Definite home job. Look at the hoops. That's spray paint. Real plated hoops are mirror like and plated all the way around, those have no luster and you can see the chrome on the underside of the bottom hoop at the tension screws. And I like that big fat scratch on the shell too.

^^^ this. A bit of investigation reveals the hoops are indeed chrome and painted. Thats a bad BS job the guy is trying to pull on you. Run away from this as fast as you can.

F

Agreed^,the hardware is generic and the dog ate my homework thing is B.S.Badges don't just fall off.

My spider sense is tingleing.Stay away.

Steve B

Good call. I think you have the lugs right.

I just never believe in badges "falling off", they are stuck on good on most drums, and have to be pried/removed, not fall off.

The snare strainer is an 80's Tama Swingstar:

$(KGrHqZHJFUFGh!!YLk!BRql6,(Tgg~~60_57.JPG

And the snare could be a late eighties Tama Rockstar-Pro, the PL238:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=81&now=12

Maybe...

Wow! Very good eye. Nice catch on the Tama Swingstar throw-off. I think it's quite obvious that I'm not going to check out the drum. All of your guys input is very apreciated. Your guy's experience and knowledge of this kind of stuff is incredible and it really shows. I've never been happier to be a member of this forum. Thanx everyone!

Back