DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-17-2018, 02:14 AM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default What killed off Slingerland?

Slingerlan was cream of the crop at one time. Even after the Ringo/Ludwig era started, many people played Slingerland thru the 70's. Just curious of the reason for their demise. One would think somebody would have purchased the company, much like DW did with Camco (maybe they did and failed).


This kit is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6lpEbW63zs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,221
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I remembered reading about business decisions that Bud Slingerland had made that lead to their eventual demise, here's a snippet.
https://books.google.com/books?id=gl...erland&f=false
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Slingerland made a slight comback around the turn of the century. I believe they were bought by Gretsch, but were not a priority. I think Tre Cool was an endorcer.

The original machines used to build Slingerland drums, after their second demise, were purchased by Bernie Stone and are once again at work making drums for Stone Custom Drum Company.

SCD basically are Slingerlands. Same shells, same lugs, same stick saver hoops, even the same badge.

They even have period correct model names in relation to the shell, Chicago and Niles, respectively.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:37 AM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Slingerland made wonderful drums, but a number of factors led to their demise.
Some of which are :
Bud Slingerland sold the company - Bud was a smart businessman and ran the Company well. He was the decision maker too. If they needed new machinery etc. Bud could ok it immediately. This changed when CCM took Slingerland over. Budgets became tight.

The machinery and fittings became old and Corporate Ownership did not want to make the expense to gear up to match the heavier duty hardware coming out of the upstart Japanese Companies like Tama, Yamaha and Pearl.

The Ringo factor - even though some great players endorsed Slingerland ( Seraphine, Bevan, Ehart, etc) they could not overcome the popularity of Ringo and the Beatles. Everyone wanted Ludwig drums like Ringo. This is ironic since Ludwig went through the same issue with Gene Krupa’s influence on Drummers in the 30’s and 40’s and Ludwig could not keep up with Slingerland.

Slingerland did not stay innovative, their drums got dated looking.

Gibson purchased Slingerland priced the wonderful Nashville Slingerland kits far too high. They were wonderful sounding and looking drums but the price was exorbitant and most people could not afford them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Oh yeah, Gibson not Gretsch, sorry. Old brain, the letter G...
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
One would think somebody would have purchased the company, much like DW did with Camco (maybe they did and failed).
The Camco buyout was split between Tama and DW, not sure of the exact details.

With Slingerland, the 80s happened and they didn't keep up with the Japanese invasion, remember this nearly killed Ludwig in the 90s. Even Gretsch stopped making drums for a time. Ironically a lot of the 80s stadium rock drummers used a Radioking snare.

Slingerlands are pretty rare in the UK, I've owned one Slingy snare which I didn't like but you don't see many full kits at all.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I once set a very sarcastic email to Gibson for all they did to bring back Slingerland. My first decent drums were Slingerland. Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman
Mapex Saturn (bass drums, toms, snare), MPX(snare), Tomahawk (snare); Sabian, Evans
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

That's good to know if that the Nashville versions are good drums if I see any used for a good price. Even the Nashville Radio Kings?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 PM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
That's good to know if that the Nashville versions are good drums if I see any used for a good price. Even the Nashville Radio Kings?
The Nashville Slingerlands ( Studio King snares and sets and Radio King snares)
are fantastic drums, wonderful build quality and the lacquer finishes are some of the nicest ever made.

Pat Foley ( finishes ) and Sam Bacco (builder/designer) are geniuses.

I got sniped years ago on EBay for an auction for a gorgeous Nashville Slingerland kit in Big Band Blue that I still kick myself over.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I'll keep my eye out. About 25 years ago, Fender wanted to get into the high end acoustic guitar market. Fender had a Spring Hill, TN Luthier shop hand build multiple models. The guitars had a very Gibson like feel. I had a chance to get one when they were released and passed in favor of a Taylor. I'm kicking myself now. Fender Spring Hill models are rare and go for quite a few $$$. I loved the guitar...I just thought, at the time, the Taylor would hold its value better since Fender was only known for electrics.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-17-2018, 09:13 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

How can one tell a Gibson nashville Slingerland vs a Conway Slingerland?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Juniper's Avatar
Juniper Juniper is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 1,038
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
That's good to know if that the Nashville versions are good drums if I see any used for a good price. Even the Nashville Radio Kings?
The Nashville Radio Kings are great drums, I own a Nashville 14 x 5.5 Radio King (in gold sparkle) and it's unreal - it looked unused/brand new and even came to me in the original Slingerland box. It's going into the studio with me again tomorrow.

If you want to see/hear it see the below link. It's a very versatile and sensitive snare but they seldom come up on eBay for a good reason. My advice is to set an alert on eBay for them coming up for sale/auction and occasionally one will be listed.

https://youtu.be/-1yQ1SHPiI0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
How can one tell a Gibson nashville Slingerland vs a Conway Slingerland?
Either 'Nashville' or 'Conway' are stamped on the cloud badge. Avoid the Conway ones.

Last edited by Juniper; 08-17-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 PM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
How can one tell a Gibson nashville Slingerland vs a Conway Slingerland?
The badge states if it is Nashville or Conway. The Conway drums were not lacquered only wrapped kits.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by RickP; 08-20-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,250
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

It was an asteroid. It kicked so much dust and particulate into the air that the climate and life changed forever, the Slingerlands couldn't survive and today we have only distant evolutionary relatives of the Slingerlands that used to roam.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:17 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Slingerlan was cream of the crop at one time. Even after the Ringo/Ludwig era started, many people played Slingerland thru the 70's. Just curious of the reason for their demise. One would think somebody would have purchased the company, much like DW did with Camco (maybe they did and failed).


This kit is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6lpEbW63zs
Indeed that is what happened.

Gibson bought Slingerland. They attempted to re-boot the brand in the mid-90's.
They even signed Greg Bissonette to be an endorser.

The problem with the Gibson era was their USA made drums were rather expensive and came in few options. And they weren't really any different than other drums on the market.

There was no lower line, so they had limited appeal to drummers at large.

And other than the name, the drums had no ties to the old Sinlgerland manufacturing, so the appeal to collectors and nostalgics was also very limited.

Gibson also had a deal to distribute Mapex around the same time, which made Gibson unfocused.

Gibson also tried to tie Slingerland to Gibson Guitar dealers, which meant drum only shops couldn't order them, and guitar only shops didn't want them, small dealers couldn't afford them, and large dealers weren't interested enough.

It just wasn't very well thought out.

They only lasted maybe a year.

Gibson still owns the name, but then went into different directions, which lead to their bankruptcy last year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
The Camco buyout was split between Tama and DW, not sure of the exact details.
.
Tama bought the name, rights and the pedal design.

DW bought their actual physical machinery.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2018, 02:57 AM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Like Rogers, I'm sure we'll see it again. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio..where Rogers had a distribution center at one time (They were made in Covington, Ohio for a long while). When I was a kid, Rodgers drums could be found pretty much everywhere in used shops, flea markets, garage sales quite frequently. I wish I knew what to look for then. I could have probably picked up a nice snare drum.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2018, 04:13 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,418
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Indeed that is what happened.

Gibson bought Slingerland. They attempted to re-boot the brand in the mid-90's.
They even signed Greg Bissonette to be an endorser.

The problem with the Gibson era was their USA made drums were rather expensive and came in few options. And they weren't really any different than other drums on the market.

There was no lower line, so they had limited appeal to drummers at large.

And other than the name, the drums had no ties to the old Sinlgerland manufacturing, so the appeal to collectors and nostalgics was also very limited.

Gibson also had a deal to distribute Mapex around the same time, which made Gibson unfocused.

Gibson also tried to tie Slingerland to Gibson Guitar dealers, which meant drum only shops couldn't order them, and guitar only shops didn't want them, small dealers couldn't afford them, and large dealers weren't interested enough.

It just wasn't very well thought out.

They only lasted maybe a year.

Gibson still owns the name, but then went into different directions, which lead to their bankruptcy last year.
Saw a new 5 piece kit back in the mid 90's and it was like $3400.
So yeah,expensive to say the least
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 29
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Like Rogers, I'm sure we'll see it again. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio..where Rogers had a distribution center at one time (They were made in Covington, Ohio for a long while). When I was a kid, Rodgers drums could be found pretty much everywhere in used shops, flea markets, garage sales quite frequently. I wish I knew what to look for then. I could have probably picked up a nice snare drum.
wow... you probably could have found a wood Dyna Sonic for a few hundred bucks and had a $3000 drum today
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,071
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
wow... you probably could have found a wood Dyna Sonic for a few hundred bucks and had a $3000 drum today
My college had a wonderful Metal dynasonic when I was there. Being a poor college kid, I’d “borrow” that drum for everything back then ;)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 PM
Living Dead Drummer's Avatar
Living Dead Drummer Living Dead Drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,869
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

My first kit was a Slingerland. Not sure what era, as I got it used. According to this website, it's late 70's early 80's?
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/slingerland_badges.html
It was a student model kit. Mahogany shells, with a candy apple red wrap. Currently it's owned by one of my former students.

I miss Slingerland, and because it was my first it will always have a special place in my heart. Had they not gone under, or been overpriced and tossed aside by Gibson, I'd probably still play them today.
__________________
~Nicholas Mason
#LivingDeadDrummer
livingdeaddrummer.com
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:01 AM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Saw a new 5 piece kit back in the mid 90's and it was like $3400.
So yeah,expensive to say the least
Wow that is still expensive now let alone for 25 years ago. I would not mind purchasing one if I could find 22 inch 2 up and 2 down. With that high price back then is probably why every used one I see is the basic 2 up 1 down configuration.

Last edited by DaleClark; 08-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-19-2018, 03:36 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,505
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I've seen several of the wrapped Gibson Slingerland kits with wrap issues. A few of them were at the Gibson store in Nashville.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Alex Sanguinetti's Avatar
Alex Sanguinetti Alex Sanguinetti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Valencia, Spain (España)
Posts: 445
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I was already playing at the time so, ´though I wasn´t related to the company or anything of the kind, I could say it happened what happened to all the american companies at the time.

In the 70¨s the japanese drums enter STONGLY in th WORLD market. I could get in detail (but I don´t want).

Pearl was the first.
Tama inmediatelly second getting Billy Cobham as endorser, the most popular drummer at the time.
Later Yamaha making Steve Gadd their endorser, the most popular drummer at the time (a couple of years after Billy Cobham).

Suddenly you saw no more Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig, Gretsch at least in other countries out of the USA. US has the drumlines, etc. (that don¨t exist in most countries, in more than 98% of the countries) and that might have helped them for a while...

I¨m not sure but I think all the american companies were sold during that decade, look no further.

This is my view, of a drummer who has been active since 1971.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:45 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
I was already playing at the time so, ´though I wasn´t related to the company or anything of the kind, I could say it happened what happened to all the american companies at the time.

In the 70¨s the japanese drums enter STONGLY in th WORLD market. I could get in detail (but I don´t want).

Pearl was the first.
Tama inmediatelly second getting Billy Cobham as endorser, the most popular drummer at the time.
Later Yamaha making Steve Gadd their endorser, the most popular drummer at the time (a couple of years after Billy Cobham).

Suddenly you saw no more Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig, Gretsch at least in other countries out of the USA. US has the drumlines, etc. (that don¨t exist in most countries, in more than 98% of the countries) and that might have helped them for a while...

I¨m not sure but I think all the american companies were sold during that decade, look no further.

This is my view, of a drummer who has been active since 1971.
I think that sounds pretty spot on. Yamaha, I believe, made a good dent in school marching band, etc market. In high school, I noticed our band and other HS bands were using Yamaha Bass drums at least (with big logos). This was 30 + years ago.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
  #26  
Old 08-19-2018, 04:25 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

That's weird about the tom holder and hardware not being up to date. I had a Slingy Spirit 1000 kit for my first set. The tom arms were almost identical to the Pearl arms. The spurs on the kick left something to be desired though. I loved that kit, it sounded awesome and the quality was way better than any budget kit of the time, and some today even. My sister has it now.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
  #27  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:59 PM
DrummerCA35 DrummerCA35 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 399
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

As a total aside...I remember seeing Chicago on the 17 tour, in 1984. I remember seeing Danny's double bass Slingerland kit...with the logo on the bass drum heads, and thinking it just looked so classy and cool...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
I think you have no idea about what you are talking about, you definetely belong to this forum, hahahah.
Then what are you doing here if you are so enlightened? Way to insult the whole forum.

I never said 70s. I mentioned the tom holder, that's it. And the Spirit 1000 came out in 1980.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?

Last edited by MrInsanePolack; 08-19-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,974
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post

Actually Slingerland was the first to have a more modern tom holder than their american counter parts (the tom holder was the real SPOT PROBLEM of the american companies), of all the american companies!

This was a great innovation:


Alex Sanguinetti
Actually Rogers drums (an American drum company) had a 'modern tom holder' by the late 60's. It is later very much copied by Yamaha and Tama. Look up any late 60's early 70's Rogers holiday kit, and you see the basic mechanism copied by many. Rogers beefed up even more in the middle 70's.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
  #30  
Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 AM
OldReliable's Avatar
OldReliable OldReliable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 289
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

I’m not trying to throw more fuel in the fire, but Rogers was definitely the first modern tom holder with the Swivomatic. It was light years ahead of the rail consolette system. If it wasn’t super functional, then why did Ringo have his “Ed Sullivan” downbeat kit and both of his later black oyster Super Classics modified with the Swivomatic tom holders? I’ve attached an image from Gary Astridge’s site, “Ringo’s Beatle Kits”
Attached Images
 
__________________
'18 Ludwig Club Date-14x20 BD 14x14 FT 8x12 RT '13 Tama Silverstar-18x22 BD 14x16 FT 8x12 RT
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:39 AM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
  #31  
Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 AM
Andy's Avatar
Andy Andy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 494
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
I think you have no idea about what you are talking about, you definetely belong to this forum, hahahah.

IN THE 70¨s when all this I mentioned hapened there was NOTHING like a pearl tom holder.

You must be a young guy...in your 40´s at most....
Self assurance & superiority are wonderful things. Picture from a 1970 Pearl catalogue, & it's source http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag...erature/pearl/
Attached Images
 
__________________
https://www.firedupband.net
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
  #32  
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 AM
dale w miller's Avatar
dale w miller dale w miller is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BKLYN, NJ
Posts: 540
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Slingerland made wonderful drums, but a number of factors led to their demise.
Some of which are :
Bud Slingerland sold the company - Bud was a smart businessman and ran the Company well. He was the decision maker too. If they needed new machinery etc. Bud could ok it immediately. This changed when CCM took Slingerland over. Budgets became tight.

The machinery and fittings became old and Corporate Ownership did not want to make the expense to gear up to match the heavier duty hardware coming out of the upstart Japanese Companies like Tama, Yamaha and Pearl.

The Ringo factor - even though some great players endorsed Slingerland ( Seraphine, Bevan, Ehart, etc) they could not overcome the popularity of Ringo and the Beatles. Everyone wanted Ludwig drums like Ringo. This is ironic since Ludwig went through the same issue with Gene Krupa’s influence on Drummers in the 30’s and 40’s and Ludwig could not keep up with Slingerland.

Slingerland did not stay innovative, their drums got dated looking.

Gibson purchased Slingerland priced the wonderful Nashville Slingerland kits far too high. They were wonderful sounding and looking drums but the price was exorbitant and most people could not afford them.
Then the name was dragged through the mud putting out literally low end kits early in this new century.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-20-2018, 02:39 AM
OldReliable's Avatar
OldReliable OldReliable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 289
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
I don¨t think you own one like I did, because if you had you would know that it didn¨t work well. I own one, and had to replace it (like eveyone I know).


Could you answer me sincerely, please, have you OWN one?

Best regards!
I have not personally owned one, but I got the opportunity to play on one through my private lessons instructor. The only modification made to it was removing the Swivo mounts from the tom shells and putting them on RIMS. Other than that it was all original Swivo, even down to the tom arms. As far as I can remember, it stayed solid as a rock and never moved! Also, the Pearl arms were a big innovation in tom arms, but the Rogers style ball arms are also still being used today with Tama and Yamaha's drums and came out first. The Pearl's you're talking about were probably much more solid than the Rogers arms were, but they came out a few years later than the Rogers did. I'm sorry to engage the debating in this thread anymore, and hope that the thread gets a bit more back on track!
__________________
'18 Ludwig Club Date-14x20 BD 14x14 FT 8x12 RT '13 Tama Silverstar-18x22 BD 14x16 FT 8x12 RT

Last edited by OldReliable; 08-20-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 AM
OldReliable's Avatar
OldReliable OldReliable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 289
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
I don¨t think you own one like I did, because if you had you would know that it didn¨t work well. I own one, and had to replace it (like eveyone I know).


Could you answer me sincerely, please, have you OWN one?

Best regards!
I have not personally owned one, but I got the opportunity to play on one through my private lessons instructor. The only modification made to it was removing the Swivo mounts from the tom shells and putting them on RIMS. Other than that it was all original Swivo, even down to the tom arms. As far as I can remember, it stayed solid as a rock and never moved!
__________________
'18 Ludwig Club Date-14x20 BD 14x14 FT 8x12 RT '13 Tama Silverstar-18x22 BD 14x16 FT 8x12 RT
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM
One Up One Down's Avatar
One Up One Down One Up One Down is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 52
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

After I read this thread, this showed up in Kijiji:


https://www.kijiji.ca/v-drum-percuss...ationFlag=true

Slingerland Radio King Snare 1950s mint condition new skins
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 PM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,728
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Up One Down View Post
After I read this thread, this showed up in Kijiji:


https://www.kijiji.ca/v-drum-percuss...ationFlag=true

Slingerland Radio King Snare 1950s mint condition new skins
It irks me when seller say something is mint when it is not.

Mint means perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 29
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
I’m not trying to throw more fuel in the fire, but Rogers was definitely the first modern tom holder with the Swivomatic. It was light years ahead of the rail consolette system. If it wasn’t super functional, then why did Ringo have his “Ed Sullivan” downbeat kit and both of his later black oyster Super Classics modified with the Swivomatic tom holders? I’ve attached an image from Gary Astridge’s site, “Ringo’s Beatle Kits”
Rogers swivomatic was the first ball & socket system offered ... everyone knew it was lightyears ahead of every mounting system available at the time

Ringo , Bonham, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon ... etc etc ... all had swivo mounts on their non Rogers kits

Rogers swivomatic hardware is better than just about anything available up to this very day
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-21-2018, 03:03 AM
OldReliable's Avatar
OldReliable OldReliable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 289
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Thanks Tony, it was getting a bit ugly yesterday. Alex deleted all of his posts threatening other users and telling me that surely I’ve never played or owned the Rogers drums because I don’t think that the mounting system sucks. I didn’t know about Bonham using a Swivo, so that’s my fun fact of the day!
__________________
'18 Ludwig Club Date-14x20 BD 14x14 FT 8x12 RT '13 Tama Silverstar-18x22 BD 14x16 FT 8x12 RT
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 AM
oldskoolsoul's Avatar
oldskoolsoul oldskoolsoul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 415
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
..Alex deleted all of his posts threatening other users..

Now, thats the spirit..

lol..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-21-2018, 03:26 AM
imamonstertruck imamonstertruck is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Louisville, KY USA
Posts: 22
Default Re: What killed off Slingerland?

Great education here

After my mother died my father brought home a 70's Chrome over Maple Slingerland kit. I learned how to play on that thing. Fastforward to 2018, in Baltimore I had to visit Bills Music and found what seems to be the kit. Same snare, hi hat stand, Ludwig speed king and two 80's Tama boom stands. Same cut out Slingerland coated heads on the rest side. I bought it, its in my basement and Im going through it. Everything looks good but I am missing the Kick legs and the Tom mount is in pieces :(


Cheers
-Ian
Attached Images
      
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com