Drum Machines replacing you

Does anyone remember when computers and robotics were first introduced to industry with the promise that this would lead to a leisure society with machines doing all the work. Our biggest challenge would be working out what to do with all that free time.

Now we probably work even longer hours but our productivity has been massively increased. Jobs were lost and new ones found, plus the nature of work changed, due to technology.

I see the biggest threat to music via technology is not automation but competition. Video games, DVDs, DTV etc have really cut into music markets. LIve music at venues was at first being replaced by cheaper DJs but there was still a live music scene, albeit weakened.

Now many clubs/pubs don't bother with music at all and instead have banks and banks of shiny gaming machines producing the kinds of returns that bands and their drunken revellers can't hope to match. But even that wasn't just technology; it took changes to licensing legislation to really screw the live music scene up.

Last edited:
What relevance has the top ten ever had to the state of music in general?

None to the state of the music... but it has a direct correlation to people getting paid for that work.

In the context of the topic Drum Machines replacing you, although the issue was stated as those parts not being very good, I'm pretty sure the underlying text is the potential lack of income as an issue.

Bermuda

What relevance has the top ten ever had to the state of music in general?

I wasn't referring to music in general, I was referring to drumming, which ties in directly with the original post "you turn on the radio and hear 90% of the bands using an electronic drum beat"

Of which Bermuda put it best:

None to the state of the music... but it has a direct correlation to people getting paid for that work.

But to answer your question, I'd say 1964 when The Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand" became a top ten hit. Unless you want to try to tell me The Beatles had no impact on music. :p

I wasn't referring to music in general, I was referring to drumming, which ties in directly with the original post "you turn on the radio and hear 90% of the bands using an electronic drum beat"

Of which Bermuda put it best:

But to answer your question, I'd say 1964 when The Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand" became a top ten hit. Unless you want to try to tell me The Beatles had no impact on music. :p

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

I've learned to make nice with technology. There is no shortage of tasteful uses of computerized or digital music. Its just a fact of life. I think people like KJ Sawka straddle the fence pretty nicely. Whether or not you are into his style of music, you gotta admit he integrates the technology pretty seamlessly with live drumming.

Back