DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Thank You Technology

Been thinking about technology and music a lot lately. Autotune, samples, triggers, perfect tempo and songs, electronic sounds as instruments, YT, Pandora, basically everything that has moved the industry to where it is today, the things lots of us don't like. I was on the fence about that last part but have made up my mind. I'm all for it, and here is why.

Until about 100 years ago or so, music was somewhat scarce if you will. It was a specialty product, produced by minimum number of individuals. If you wanted to listen to music, you either had to go somewhere to hear it, be at the right place at the right time, or be rich enough to have people play for you. You had no choice of what to hear, and whether or not you liked what you heard is a whole nother story. Music was exchanged on paper. It was a meticulous, long process to create music. If you couldn't read music, or have an instrument, no music for you! Finding a teacher was probably as difficult as finding blinker fluid.

In the early 1900s this all changed with the invention of the common radio as we know it. As broadcast stations were created to send signal to the radio, music could become more available. They were a staple in homes, people would gather round the radio and just listen. They started to make their way into cars, and now even watches can play music. It's everywhere, you really can't escape music. This is fabulous, thank you technology.

So I say to technology, keep on keeping on. Fix off key singers, plug in that one missing note, align kick drum hits to a grid. I don't care how you do it, just keep making it easier for everyone to make music. I say the more the better. My ears will be the judge, not my mind. We are at a point in time where we are saturated with music, and this is a good thing. Why? Because I don't want to try to plug in and listen to a piece of paper.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Thank You Technology

Thanks to tech, I can write, record, mix & distribute for a fraction of the cost that it used to be. I'm no pro engineer and don't aspire to be, but being able to write & record is a reward unto itself.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Thank You Technology

Good post. I never really thought about it in a yea or nay way, but now that my drum gear is where I’ve always wanted it, I’m going to be adding to my PA gear, and buying some recording gear.

I’m able to play or sing anything I need except good guitar solos, and I know people to help out there. So I’m planning on writing again, which I haven’t done in many years.

I don’t have any “Star” illusions at 55, but I enjoy the process, and it’s possible to do it at reasonable cost with the technology available today.