DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 PM

Default My Studio Kit

Caveat: I'm not much of a drummer. Well, maybe a little bit.

I have a personal semi-pro studio and I just put together a studio kit, mostly for lazy drummers to rehearse with, but also for some recording. Would love feedback on it. $$$ were an important consideration.

Kit: 22/10/12/14 - PDP CX one of the maple kits made in Mexico. In great shape, got for $300.
Snares: late 60s Gretsch maple snare, mid 60s Ludwig Jazz Festival Black Oyster Pearl (may sell, since it is the coveted Ringo snare fetching way too much money on collectors market), and the PDP snare that came with the kit.
Hit hats : 15" New Beats - another great deal
Ride: Constantinople (not the Zildjian series, but another turkish brand, bright and pingy)
Crash: 18" Zildjian A series (present from girlfriend)
Hardware: miscellaneous PDP and Tama stuff.

Through bargains and gifts, this kit has cost me about $600, but I feel pretty good about it. Certainly not a boutique kit, although the cymbals are better than the drums.

Future upgrades may include a 16" second crash and perhaps a high-end brass snare.

Would you feel good leaving your kit at home and jamming/recording on this setup?

Thanks,

-Todzilla
Old 12-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Studio Kit

I’d want a 16” floor tom, and if recording an array of ride cymbals from ping-y to wash-y.

If that Ringo snare sounds great, I’d keep it and record with it.

If the shells are round and bearing edges clean, then good heads all the way around will deliver the goods.

A high-end snare? Don’t bother. There are great sounding brass or aluminum snares for $300 and less. Here’s the Tama SLP Dry Aluminum in action: https://youtu.be/gL4SDhPpzc0
Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Studio Kit

Top of the line zildjian cymbals and a maple pdp kit? Hell yea I'd jam on that kit

I'd sell the Ludwig jazz festival and maybe get a pearl Jupiter snare or Ludwig acrolite. Both of those are always on hit recordings, and the pearl is a brass snare. Also those are both really well priced and it'd be nice to have a metal snare to swap in and out

And make sure you invest in good heads, but yea that's a great kit. It's not a "boutique" kit, but don't sell it short. You can make pro quality recordings with that setup