Todd Sucherman DVD

Doug Masters

Silver Member
I think there is already a thread on this but here goes: BUY THIS DVD! I got it for Christmas and have watched it three times already. Todd not only demonstrates his incredible playing but also gives some great advice regarding session work and touring. In addition, it introduced me to his wife, Taylor Mills. What a great singer she is. My wife and I got her Lullagoodbye CD and both love it. Overall, its a great DVD. He even manages to scare the crap outta my kids with that "QUICK TIP" evil voice. :) Good work Todd.

I think there is already a thread on this but here goes: BUY THIS DVD! I got it for Christmas and have watched it three times already. Todd not only demonstrates his incredible playing but also gives some great advice regarding session work and touring. In addition, it introduced me to his wife, Taylor Mills. What a great singer she is. My wife and I got her Lullagoodbye CD and both love it. Overall, its a great DVD. He even manages to scare the crap outta my kids with that "QUICK TIP" evil voice. :) Good work Todd.

Great DVD and yes the QUICK TIP segments startled me as well the first time through.

Doug--

Thanks for getting the DVD and I'm really happy to hear that you dig it----thanks! I hope it inspires creativity in your playing and thinking. And sorry for scaring the kids. I just suppose I wanted to wake up anyone who may have dozed off while watching!

That Guy and Muckster--

Thanks as well!

Cheers,
Todd

Tod,

As you are aware from some of my other posts I have the DVD and like everyone else I thinks it's great. I was wondering are any of the tracks minus drums you played on your DVD available to purchase or download? I do have some music minus drums and I find it a great practice tool and lots of fun.

Can't hurt to ask I guess.

2bsticks

2b,

No, they won't be available. I don't "own" or have executive permission for the Styx tracks or the Jerry Goodman track. It would be expensive to entertain that notion, with lawyers, publishers, and would be a big head ache honestly. It's not as though these tunes were done specifically for the DVD or for "play along" purposes. Even the Taylor Mills tracks have other writers. So you can see it would be a quagmire.

Thanks for your interest though.

Cheers-

Todd

I finally got to watch the extras (drum room, gear) on a good dvd player. The generic player at the rec center here had a broken jack so that both channels bled into the right, so that's why the music was too loud to hear before.

Anyway... not to knock the beautiful pearl masters....but I have a higher lust factor for the Sonor drums. There is something about those shells! Also, I like what Todd said concerning recording shells.

Shells like DW collectors (or Pearl MMX to be fair) are harder to EQ due to secondary resonances vs a "stadium" shell like MRX or Sonor. The stadium/heavier shells cut better and have a more natural eq.

Note to self: Become good friends with Deen Castronovo so I can be given his next kit after Journey tours this year. ;) What a gift!!!

Also.. I like the way Todd's kit was mic'd. Steve Smith's sonors on his new dvd have clear ambs on top as well, but sound a bit "slappier" without as much low end as I am getting from Todd's kit.

It's time for me to hop a plane and get back to the world.

trkdrmr--

Glad you were able to watch it on a better system!

Safe travels back home--

Cheers!

Todd

I appreciate the support! After a total of 24 hours airborne, I am finally back home .

Noting that you recommended Audix mic's, I picked up a set of them (2 overhead condensers, a dynamic and a D6 for the kick) and a Behringer 1622 mixer for my new kit.

I lucked out because the pro sound guy at my GC was a real sound engineer. I asked him cost aside: which mic do you prefer between the Shure beta 52 and Audix D6? He said the Audix, without question.

I have in my mailbox, the Classic Drummer and MD magazines featuring you that I have yet to read.

Now I can put your DVD on my home theater system and crank the snot out of it so the neighbors can hear "QUICK TIPS!!!" along with me.

Ahhh, freedom.

Yes buddy! Crank it! Enjoy your time home. How much longer until retirement?

August.... but I will have terminal leave and house hunting before that. My last full month of active duty is May.

My Trick kit arrives tomorrow....the 15th. I pick up my cymbals Friday. My deccabon low-pitched set arrives after the 30th.

Leadfoot: thanks!!

I could not resist. I already got help setting up my mixer:
funny-pictures-dj-cat-makes-a-meow-mix1.jpg

Back