Sciatica

Go to Amazon "Treat your own Back" by Robin McKenzie. It has helped me considerably,and starts working immediately.
tracer

doctors say i have damaged my sciatic nerve and shouldnt drum for a few months, when i sit on my seat im in terrible pain. cant imagine not playing for a week nether mind months, any one else experience this and any advice????thanks

michael.

WOW, Dude, sorry to hear of this...how horrible! Hope that works out soon.

Best of luck,
JIM

Boy, I wouldn't know what to do. Does your doctor basically not want you to use your legs, or is it drumming in general. I was thinking that if it was just your legs.. you could get some pad practice in. As much as a let down that might be.. it can be a good time to really focus on sticking patters.

I'm curious to know what you end up doing. I'm sorry for your situation.

doctors say i have damaged my sciatic nerve and shouldnt drum for a few months, when i sit on my seat im in terrible pain. cant imagine not playing for a week nether mind months, any one else experience this and any advice????thanks

michael.
Yep, I've had it for about 3 years now, it does get better with the exercises the doctor told me to do. I haven't missed a gig though, but yeah it hurt A LOT at the beginning.

For me it really hasn't gone away, just gotten less intense. I no longer do heavy lifting for a job, I'm sure that helps.

cheers for the help support,

its been like this about five weeks now, i played a small gig the other day and after every song i was jumping outer my seat in pain! i heard it was commen for men but wondered how other drummers coped. i heard you gotta ride it out an stock up on ibuprofen! the nerve runs mainly down each side from your bottom to foot so when seated it appies pressure which creates pain down the leg. so its not the actuall footwork thats hard jus sitting down lol

thanks michael.

The sciatic nerve runs under a muscle called the piriformis which helps turn your leg outward. This deep muscle is located under your glute max and can become tighter with age or decreased activity. In a small percentage of people, the sciatic nerve runs through the piriformis so when the muscle contracts, the nerve can become irritated. It is this irritation that triggers radiating pain even when pressure is applied to the nerve (sitting). Make sure you do not sit on a wallet. Here is a mild stretch that can help lengthen the piriformis and reduce the pressure on the sciatic nerve (the nerve by the way is about the size of your small finger (pinky)).

Sit on a cushioned chair/couch with good posture and not touching the back rest.

Bring the affected leg up and place the foot above the unnaffected leg's knee (figure four).

Try to press your affected knee downward. Do not stretch into pain or symptoms but try to find a point just before.

Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat with the unaffected leg for symmetry. Repeat each side for a total of 2-3 sets 2-3 times per day. Eventually, you can lean forward from the hips and apply a greater stretch.

Stretch your hamstrings too. Hope this helps if you read it all.

I had this for years and years. Started in my 20's, and at that time, I didn't know what it was. It at times caused a lot of discomfort while playing. I did not quit playing because of this, but during the time I wasn't playing, I went through a lot of therapy, and injections; finally I had surgery. That was quite a few years ago, and it has been the best thing. I have been playing again for the last few years.
I will offer you this: The one thing you need to constantly be aware of is your posture. Even while walking, or driving your car... check your posture. Sitting is the worst thing for your back, especially if there is a disc compressing on your nerve somewhere. So again, while playing your kit, be very aware of you posture.

I got this going on. This is terrible. What I am looking for is a harder Drum Throne Seat maybe I'll have to make a wooden one, I've looked and haven't seen any out there. If you know of one let me know. For A DW 3000 Throne.

I have dealt with sciatica off and on for over a decade. I have degenerative disc disease, so I can go to bed--toss and turn--wake up with a pinched nerve. It's wretched.

You MUST STRETCH. Properly though. If your doc is suggesting physical therapy, I would try it for a month. Figure out what stretches and exercises work for you. If you're overweight like I am, losing belly fat around your "trunk" would help keep that extra weight from pulling on your back. I wish I could figure THAT out.

Also, thank you tracer!!! I just purchased that book you suggested. $9 (y)

And stevo said it, SITTING IS THE WORST THING FOR YOUR BACK. Hopefully you won't ever need surgery. I had surgery about 9 years ago--micro lumbar discectomy.

Oh. . .I've used an inversion table off and on for this past decade. They can help, but be careful if you decide to use one. Don't over do it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Oh. . .I've used an inversion table off and on for this past decade. They can help, but be careful if you decide to use one. Don't over do it.

What happens if you overdo it? And how much is overdoing? My brother swears by his, but also says that he only does it for something like two minutes at time or some really short period like that? (I've got a seriously glitchy back so am very interested.)

I am 64. I have had forms of it for more years than not. When it got really bad several years ago, I went to neurosurgeon. Had MRI. Gave me several choices: surgery, injections, or PT. I chose PT since it was not invasive. I really didn't think it would work. But it did. It REALLY did work. I now have a set of stretching exercises to use when it flares up. I'll never be 100% but I've been able to keep walking and keep playing drums. Some mornings I'm feeling pretty stiff. Can't put on my socks or shoes. Or sometimes at night after a lot of steps or a gig I'm really hurting. The stretching helps alleviate the pain. Sometimes it's almost magic. Sometimes it's less effective and I supplement with NSAID. But I've avoided surgery and injections. I recommend you consult a neurosurgeon, get a full work-up, and get their recommendations. And, if one of recommendations is PT - try it. It worked for me!

FYI I also bought a Roc-n-Soc stool. I get more leverage out it and especially helps get more power to legs with less effort. Less pain. Less effort with legs. Better posture.

Make sure when sitting on the throne, office chair, dining chair, when possible that your knees are lower than your hips. Maybe 2 inches minimum. also check your back in that you are sitting up straight. Other than that, obey your doctor or you may not heal at all.

I love my inverter. At the end of a hard day there's nothing like it, when gravity vs my body is winning. A few minutes max is all I need, and all I can tolerate anyway. I find it to be an easy way to re-energize. I got mine for the price of a brand new splash cymbal lol.

I am 64. I have had forms of it for more years than not. When it got really bad several years ago, I went to neurosurgeon. Had MRI. Gave me several choices: surgery, injections, or PT. I chose PT since it was not invasive. I really didn't think it would work. But it did. It REALLY did work. I now have a set of stretching exercises to use when it flares up. I'll never be 100% but I've been able to keep walking and keep playing drums. Some mornings I'm feeling pretty stiff. Can't put on my socks or shoes. Or sometimes at night after a lot of steps or a gig I'm really hurting. The stretching helps alleviate the pain. Sometimes it's almost magic. Sometimes it's less effective and I supplement with NSAID. But I've avoided surgery and injections. I recommend you consult a neurosurgeon, get a full work-up, and get their recommendations. And, if one of recommendations is PT - try it. It worked for me!
+1
My back problems have back and nerve problems. This is invaluable advice.

I had strange symptoms one night..the left side of my face felt mildly numb...scared me a bit. I was shoveling that afternoon and had a feeling like a needle jabbed me in the left hip. I went to a chiropractor and I had a pinched sciatic nerve. I laid on these electrode type things that eventually freed up the nerve. No more problem.

Use this as an opportunity to work on your hand technique. Get an Rtom gel pad and a realfeel and work on them both at the same time. Play all the rudiments super-slow ever day, in French, American, and German grip.

Actually maybe not good advice for playing drums. That position on throne with knees lower than hips causes body to also keep re-positioning to keep from sliding forward. For someone with damaged sciatic nerve issues and compromised spine, this can inflame the nerves and more quickly fatigue the muscles. Good advice for someone without back or nerve problems., Not-so-good for someone with issues.

Make sure when sitting on the throne, office chair, dining chair, when possible that your knees are lower than your hips. Maybe 2 inches minimum. also check your back in that you are sitting up straight. Other than that, obey your doctor or you may not heal at all.

My PT also used electric stimulation of area. Felt good while it was being applied. But for a chronic issue (yours was an acute episode) PT will recommend things you can do at home as-needed.

I had strange symptoms one night..the left side of my face felt mildly numb...scared me a bit. I was shoveling that afternoon and had a feeling like a needle jabbed me in the left hip. I went to a chiropractor and I had a pinched sciatic nerve. I laid on these electrode type things that eventually freed up the nerve. No more problem.

Back