This is wierd

metal overlord

Gold Member
Ok, ever since I started listening to Slipknot something odd has been happening.

I'm increasingly sound more and more like Joey Jordison. Not purposly, but almost subliminally. I'm picking up his style and every time I drum I sound more like him.
I really have no idea how, I'm not choosing to pkay like he does, I just am.
I sound like Joey crossed with Dave Lombrado.

Does this happen to any of you guys?

TIP: Don't listen to slipknot. They suck badly.

Follow that tip and your problems will just melt away.

Why? If he wants to listen to slipknot then he should. If I told you that you shouldn't listen to the Devil Wears Prada because I don't like them, then you probably wouldn't listen to me. I don't mean to rag on you but you don't really have a constructive way of helping the poster with his question.

To the OP I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes after listening to a lot of Zeppelin I try to play more like John Bonham, or after listening to the Beatles I try to imitate Ringo. Sometimes I am trying to and sometimes I'm not. If you keep listening to and thinking about joey jordison's drumming then you'll probably end up trying to play some of his licks. I think it's just something that drummer do when they like other another drummer's playing, and I also think it can be a good thing. Learning to play a new style of playing or getting more comfortable with can really help your playing.

hahaha yeah right bro. I used to have the same state of mind but DAMN did that change when I listen to them. I'm a die-hard rot in hell metalhead, but they just appeal to me. I used to be on a strict diet of thrash and speed metal but, I just like them.

And it's not a problem, it's just wierd that I sound like him without even thinking about it.

No. I don't sound anything like Joey Jordison. That does have a little to do with the fact that i can't do so much as triplets on the kicks (i could blame not having big enough pedals but really it's that i have terrible feet). Maybe it's not that you sound more like him, it's that when you listen to his drumming you hear more of what he plays and you think about this when you are playing if you see what i mean?

There is nothing wrong with learning other peeps licks. Listen and learn from as many artists as humanly possible than play just like Metal Overlord.

yup i have the same problem, although i dont see it as a problem, its just another way to learn the instrument. i know that after only listening to Dream Theater for a few months (as well as playing along to there cds) i'd get comments from various people saying that i sound like portnoy. (woohoo!!)

-Jonathan

One of the most important things to do when trying to become a better drummer is listening to music. The more music you listen to, the more you will pick up whether you like it or not. If you listen to enough of the same stuff you will pick up more on that type of drumming.
It happened to me with neil peart.

I never get inspired by theatrical show off drummers who plays on 10 plus tom toms and 15 plus cymbals..., who are brilliant and I love to watch them. Especially, I love to watch Neil Peart play.... however no inspiration from them. . But when it comes to real playing for me, Charley watts is my guy.

I never get inspired by theatrical show off drummers who plays on 10 plus tom toms and 15 plus cymbals..., who are brilliant and I love to watch them. Especially, I love to watch Neil Peart play.... however no inspiration from them. . But when it comes to real playing for me, Charley watts is my guy.

And...?
That really didn't answer my question but OK.

... I'm increasingly sound more and more like Joey Jordison. Not purposly, but almost subliminally. I'm picking up his style and every time I drum I sound more like him...

... Does this happen to any of you guys?

Hey metalman!

Of course it does! It's how your brain works. You are what you eat...you are what you listen to.

I started to sound like Buddy when I listened to my father's jazz (well, maybe a little!) I started to sound like Mitch Mitchell when I listened to Hendrix, then I started to sound like Ginger when I was Cream obsessed. I really liked it when I started to sound like Seraphin during my Chicago days. The twist in my playing came when I discovered Neil Peart in the late '80s (yeah, I was a late Rush bloomer!); more calculated and artsy. Then I moved to Manu Katche and Dave Weckl (I was in my late 30s and early 40s by then). You get the picture.

And Pachikara-Tharakan, I really liked it when I started to pick up Charlie's style off of the Stone's Steel Wheels album - solid, solid groove!

My point is your style is and will be influenced by what you hear. You WILL start to sound like who over you are listening to.

Now, to get really GOOD, listen to as many different drummers as you can. All of those different styles and techniques running around in your head will coalesce into you own unique style...then when others listen to you play, they will start to sound like YOU!

Back