Oh My Virgin Ears!

Brian

Gold Member
A bit of a left-turn/weird side of DW topic,

For several years I've been having tinnitus, and blocking in my ears. The past few doctors visits I have forgotten to mention this, and a year or two ago the doctor mentioned that maybe I should have my ears flushed.

I try sometimes at home and it only helped a little bit. It turns out they (esp. my right ear) were blocked deep into the ear canal.

Anyway the War and Peace is that I finally went through with the cleaning last Friday and allowed a nurse to flush my ears with warm water and the peroxide.

It took around 20 minutes and was not pleasant, but the difference in hearing and even feeling is amazing. My ears are like a newborn baby, no ringing at all anymore either. As a music listener, I can hear things that were not audible for years. I'm only 37. This was after giving up hope that my blockages and ringing were from loud music, loud shows, loud drums year after year. That I finally did the damage people always warn about.

Additionally I feel more centered and balanced, too.

Anyway, just some food for thought in case anyone else is ever in my situation and thinks they may have some type of irreversible hearing loss or damage from years of abuse or even neglect. It might be worth a shot!

I continue to see an ad on the TV here about a hearing center that says that most of the partial hearing loss cases they see are from wax build up. Glad you have been flushed and have gained more perfect hearing.

Actually, it makes sense to me, what with all the earplugs and in-ear monitors I've crammed into my ears over the years. I don't doubt I have some incredible buildup in my ears. Glad your experience was so positive. I say when in doubt, have your ears checked out by a professional.

I have to do this once in a while too. I just did it last week to my right ear, which gets clogged shut. I do it myself at home with water as warm as I can take, with as much pressure as I can get using an ear syringe/bulb to squirt a stream of hottish water in my ear canal. I just turn my ear to the ground and fill the bulb and squirt it up there like 10 times. Blobs of apricot preserves grace my sink bottom lol. I can relate when it's all clean. All kinds of high end. It doesn't make my tinnitus go away though. I ruined my ears before age 5.

That's awesome to just clean your ears and have better hearing!
I bet it makes cymbals sound better and drums sound worse!

My wife pours gin in her ears because that's what her father did when she would come up from the beach with a head full of ocean. I swear she can hear anything.

I remember going to the ear doctor and seeing an anatomical diagram of the workings of the ear. Amazed, I told the doctor that I simply have an inability to comprehend the immensity of time.
She said she was simply going to clean my ears and nothing more.

Last edited:
My ear canals are so small, quips hurt like crazy. So I only clean my ears with a small pump thingy (small turkey baister look a like) and warm then hot water. It works wonderfully.

Peroxide by itself does wonders. Tilt you head to the side listen to it fizz for a while and lean the other way to drain. This only helps if you are fairly clean to begin with. Alcohol will also help if you have water in your ears from the pool, beach, shower etc. Put a capful in just like the peroxide and it will make the water less dense and thinner and help it to drain. If all else fails see a doctor. My family doctor told me mine were too clean at one time.

Thanks for the responses.

I've learned that wearing hearing protection, headphones and so on, can be culprits to having blocked ears. Alparrot is right.

Yeah, I usually mix half sodium peroxide and hot water, which ends up in a very warm (but not hot) solution. But the problem is that this may not get deep into the ear, where the serious issues occur, unless maybe you are using some type of pump device or what not. This didn't really address the real issues for me, though it would help for a few days at a time.

I've always had poorish hearing. It got worse in my mid-thirties and I gradually discovered the cause. I'd been having hot baths instead of showers and my ear wax, normally fairly dry, would melt when I submerged my head in the hot water and then run down and plug my canals when I stood. I cleaned them out and went back to showers. Now the only thing that plugs them is hard work on hot days, when the temperature in my ears rises enough to melt whatever residue is in there. It's very rarely have to clean them the hard way now.

Back