DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
The Old Hyde

Default Breaking lugs

OK this is a new one for me. While playing this past Sat. night I notice my mounted tom suddenly had a wrinkle in the head. Looking at the drum I notice the tensioner by the wrinkle was hanging there. The springloaded thing inside the lug had snapped. I bring a complete set of replacement heads (used ones) and one of those survival kits with verious little things in it but not replacement internal lug pieces. By the end of the night one of my floor toms had a broken one as well. Did anyone ever have one of these break during a gig?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Bandit

Default Re: Breaking lugs

No. Do you have high tunings on your heads? What kind of lugs? How old is the kit?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
No. Do you have high tunings on your heads? What kind of lugs? How old is the kit?
I started useing Aqarion force tens which are super thick and i really crank em tight. Its an old set of Peals from 1986. thankfully the head didnt dent when it loosened up. I could have taken one from a bottom head if was the first set or early on in the gig but I dont even bring a philips scew driver to get the lugs off from the inside.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Wow, I have bent rims by over tightening in my ignorant youth. But, heck breaking a lug? I have to say, that it must be inferior steel being used. A point of fact, the aerospace industry stopped using steel from China because they did not meet the standards of the industry and it also had elements that induced corrosion in the steel. I can only suppose that is what may have happened here. The manufacturer may have gotten a batch of steel that was inferior.

Not knowing the manufacturer, or the country of origin, I am just taking an educated guess.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
I started useing Aqarion force tens which are super thick and i really crank em tight. Its an old set of Peals from 1986. thankfully the head didnt dent when it loosened up. I could have taken one from a bottom head if was the first set or early on in the gig but I dont even bring a philips scew driver to get the lugs off from the inside.
This is going to continue to happen.The thicker heads don't have as much "give"..kind of like a trampoline does...so the energy is absorbed by the lug insert,the lug castings them selves,as well as the rims,the shells,and bearing edges.

I would do two things.If your set on really cranking those heads that tight,be ready to spend some cash on a new kit.Higher tuning are ok but...you're exceeding the design limits of the drums and hardware by uber high pitch tuning.Try using thinner heads,and back off on the tuning.

Take all your heads off and remove some of the mounting screws to see if the mounting holes are elongated from the higher pressure of your tuning.

I would also buy a few handfulls of well made lug inserts from a drum supply house,and be ready to use them.

Steve B.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
This is going to continue to happen.The thicker heads don't have as much "give"..kind of like a trampoline does...so the energy is absorbed by the lug insert,the lug castings them selves,as well as the rims,the shells,and bearing edges.

I would do two things.If your set on really cranking those heads that tight,be ready to spend some cash on a new kit.Higher tuning are ok but...you're exceeding the design limits of the drums and hardware by uber high pitch tuning.Try using thinner heads,and back off on the tuning.

Take all your heads off and remove some of the mounting screws to see if the mounting holes are elongated from the higher pressure of your tuning.

I would also buy a few handfulls of well made lug inserts from a drum supply house,and be ready to use them.

Steve B.
+1.........................
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

Steve B.
I was using single plys but I really hit hard and they would dent a lot. I tune tight to get the right sound for me from the toms. They are big, 13,16,18 so tight is still a pretty deep sound. If I buy another kit I will need a good divorce lawyer haha. Im just so damn lazy I hate to think about checking BUT i will do it beacuse I cant have this happen again. Ill pack a few of those inserts from now on, itt a quick enough change to make. I started useing Ahead sticks too which may have something to do with it i don't know? My rythm guitar player noticed the wrinkle and gave me the confused look nod druring a song. Its just such an odd thing to break to me. Heads and stcks are expected now and then but this was a surprise
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

It's happened to me before, albeit years ago and only on a snare - which is a little more likely than a tom.

In my case it was due to over-tensioning the head (I was tuning it right up at the time) and a poor quality insert in the lug. As Steve and evolving_machine said, it's most likely due to these two things.

Lug inserts are cheap and better-quality ones are available inexpensively. It might be worth considering changing all of the inserts on the kit if it happens again. It might seem like a lot of work but these small upgrades can make a difference to all sorts of things - even the stability of tuning, which at a high tension is more of an issue. It's a small upgrade but worth it if you have the time.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
It's happened to me before, albeit years ago and only on a snare - which is a little more likely than a tom.

In my case it was due to over-tensioning the head (I was tuning it right up at the time) and a poor quality insert in the lug. As Steve and evolving_machine said, it's most likely due to these two things.

Lug inserts are cheap and better-quality ones are available inexpensively. It might be worth considering changing all of the inserts on the kit if it happens again. It might seem like a lot of work but these small upgrades can make a difference to all sorts of things - even the stability of tuning, which at a high tension is more of an issue. It's a small upgrade but worth it if you have the time.
the more I think about it, I am taking the advice of buying better insert things and replacing all of them. Thanks guys
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Out of interest, what is the kit? Is it an old Export? I have an Export of similar vintage kicking around and it's never caused me any issues. If I remember correctly, the drums are Taiwanese.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Out of interest, what is the kit? Is it an old Export? I have an Export of similar vintage kicking around and it's never caused me any issues. If I remember correctly, the drums are Taiwanese.
Its a World Series which was a step above the Exports. Maybe not the lugs though!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

I have broken some lugs on a boutique snare I bought. I think it was cheap metal in the lugs. They were on my snare and they snapped where the mounting screw attaches to the lug. I think this type of thing happens with cheaper lugs.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Pioneer Member

I used to break lugs pretty often on an old Pearl snare. Annoying, but I just accepted it as part of drumming life and put new parts on. And then, when I could finally afford it, I retired the drum.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Just something to consider, If you have to crank that hard to achieve a higher pitch, You should consider different sized drums to attain that. Smaller drums. . . .
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrew View Post
Just something to consider, If you have to crank that hard to achieve a higher pitch, You should consider different sized drums to attain that. Smaller drums. . . .
Just to clerify i guess. I tune tighter than JAW, i guess i should have used a better verb than cranked. They are tuned deep because they are large 12x13/16x16/16x18. i dont tune them to be high pitched, just tuned properly.