DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Heat management

Who here perspires when they play drums? Do you perspire heavily? Do you have a heat management strategy? Mine crapped out a while back. One of the guys in my bands has this great squirrel cage type fan that really does the trick. That's probably my next piece of gear. Sometimes I am totally soaked, sometimes I am relatively dry. But I have the capability of looking really wet when I play, and it happens more time than not. Not too fond of that look. When I come off break, I don't feel like a Don Juan when I have to peel my shirt from my chest. Stress causes it too. Small stage, running late, crowded bar, during setup, Larry's all wet.

How do you handle this issue? Someone takes band pics during break and I look like I stood out in the rain, while everyone else stayed inside.

Do any of you gals glisten while you play? Is it more a male thing?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Heat management

I'm definitely a sweater

I used to bring a little clip fan....still do sometimes in the summer

I always have my towel

in the summer I sometimes bring a change of shirt and drawers because I'll be drenched down to my boxers
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Small floor fan...to the left of the HH. After I load in and setup,I change into light tee shirt! As my technique improved over the years...I use less energy with more output. Elipical machine 3 to 4 times a week helps!
Some gigs with lots of lights and poor AC.....just going to sweat!
Denis
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisri View Post
Small floor fan...to the left of the HH. After I load in and setup,I change into light tee shirt! As my technique improved over the years...I use less energy with more output. Elipical machine 3 to 4 times a week helps!
Some gigs with lots of lights and poor AC.....just going to sweat!
Denis
Sounds like Denis has this subject on lock!

I'm usually not too bad, i think nervousness is the #1 thing to make me sweat, but i would like to have a fan stuffed in the back of my car just in case
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Do any of you gals glisten while you play?
Not glisten exactly, but ... unsticking sweaty trousers from my backside when I stand up, that's not a good look on a lady :)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

I can soak my socks. I like to put the fan low by my hi hat foot and blow air up on my legs and face. Like a race car needs to keep the undercarriage cools itch air flowing at all times. Yeah a race car.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I start to sweat just thinking about playing.Those small fans help,but I still wind up drenched,and there's usually a puddle on my snare.

Look at some vids of Buddy Rich.Sweat used to pore off of him in a steady stream..I guess there's no getting away from it.

A little OT,but that beat up looking Strat that Rory Gallaher used to play,had It's finish worn of from his sweat.True stuff.Not all sweat is the same.Some is kind of corrosive if it contains a higher consentration of enzymes.:)

Steve B
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I start to sweat just thinking about playing.Those small fans help,but I still wind up drenched,and there's usually a puddle on my snare.
ugh i hate that!!

Remo needs to patent a WATERKING head too!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Renegade

My band's so laid back that I sometimes don't sweat even a bit after practices and gigs. Nice, after all the "heavy sweating" I did playing rock. I still always carry a towel - like Douglas Adams, I see the potential multi-functional value of towels.

Yeah Larry, I glisten. It looks great with cellulite and wrinkles!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes if the venue is warm or I'm nervous about the tunes, I sweat. Usually not too bad though. A friend who is busy every night, sometimes with multiple gigs in the same day, works hard at keeping in shape. Running and working out whenever he can. I should do more of the same. More endurance and energy.

The squirrel cage fans are great. Much more air than the bladed ones. Also, bladed fans can do funny things to sound when it reflects off of the blades. A few times I've thought that some speaker was blown only to figure out that the warbling distorted sound I was hearing was reflections from a fan.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Because I have to wear a hockey jersey when I play shows with my band, which is really hot, I play in my underwear. I think I might have mentioned this before. It's great because I can do it and it fits in with the show. I know I can't get away with that on other gigs. For those I have a pair of nice shorts that are pretty breathable and a pair of swim trunks.
But nothing beats playing in your underwear.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Always had a towel and a fan when I played live. Not one of those pissy little clip on fans either......an asthmatic, emphysemic with one lung at the top of a stairwell could provide more air flow than those things. I never used anything shy of a 30cm desk fan.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Hi. My name is Ineedaclutch, and I'm... I'm a sweater (not of the cloth variety). I live in a very hot and humid region, and I can't imagine gigging without a fan. I use either a tower fan or a blower with additional outlets. The great thing about both of these fans is they don't leak into the overheads. The tower covers a greater area, but the blower (pictured) is efficiently directional and perfect for outdoor gigs.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

The Patton fan ..... is my friend.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

In my band, the heat management "strategy" is all LED lighting :) Outside of that gig environment, it's a couple of towels & suffer. in general though, it takes a lot for me to get sweaty. At most gigs, the other guys are soaking, & I'm just fine :)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
... I play in my underwear. I think I might have mentioned this before. It's great because I can do it and it fits in with the show ... nothing beats playing in your underwear.
"MikeyHanson" haha ... nice pseudonym, Terry.

:)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

I have a fan, play barefoot and in a t-shirt. Have plenty of cold water and a towel.

It's not really a problem. I sweat a lot more when conducting than when I play drums.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Plenty of water and a towel at the side...I do sweat but not so much like when I'm eating super spicy food.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Don't drink too much! I find if I have too many beers I sweat more, on gigs I normally have a few cups of ice water and thats it.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Happens to me even on the coldest of nights... I've always been a very warm guy by default. I use a 40 degree sleeping bag even when camping on snow. I sweat playing drums while everyone else in the room is wearing big sweaters and coats.

Sweat from playing has really never been a source of shame for me... Then again, I can't recall what has been a source of shame, other than an off night behind the kit. I don't care if I look sweaty, but I hate being uncomfortable.

So anyway, I've adopted something from my hiking/camping when I play he drums... And that is: not wearing cotton. In the summer when it's hottest, I don't mind looking a bit dorky to stay comfortable, and I wear "wicking" materials from the outdoor outfitters. Those garments dry so fast that I stay comfy even when dripping sweat. A towel for my sweaty hair, and it's not really a big deal. Like Anthony, I also bring a change of clothes when it's really warm.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM

I sweat like nothing anyone has ever seen. I know its sounds a bit odd and presumptuous to say since i dont know any of you. No fan in the world will help. I need a full clothing change after all drumming exploits, gigs or practice. It's rediculous, really.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Gold Member

I get warm and i sweat a birt. I have a fan which attaches to my rack and a towel. Strangely though, since my carpal tunnel surgery, my hands don't sweat at all, they are bone dry at all times, which means for the opposite reason from almost every other drummer i know, I struggle to hold on to my sticks unless i use gloves or grip tape.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
So anyway, I've adopted something from my hiking/camping when I play he drums... And that is: not wearing cotton. In the summer when it's hottest, I don't mind looking a bit dorky to stay comfortable, and I wear "wicking" materials from the outdoor outfitters. Those garments dry so fast that I stay comfy even when dripping sweat. .
I thought cotton was a wicking material. Maybe not a super wicker? On a scale of 1 to 10, how dorky are the things you wear? And could you go into a little more detail about what you actually wear? You wear wicking materials? What does that mean? Are your undergarments made of this stuff? If so do you recommend boxers or briefs? Or are you referring to your outerwear?
You're a nut. You have my vote.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Cotton is actually a terrible material for doing active things. When it gets wet, it gets heavy, sticky, loses elasticity, and is plain uncomfortable. It holds moisture for an incredibly long time, and sweat is even worse to keep against your body than plain water, for several rather obvious reasons.

Even the humble polyester is a huge upgrade if you're sweating a lot. These type shirts are thin enough that I stay super cool, and sweat dries within moments instead of 40 minutes later like with a standard cotton t-shirt.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

Beyond that there are tons of specialty blend fabrics which essentially do the same thing. And yes, even underwear.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd say the dork factor is about a 6 or 7. That stuff looks fine on the trail or in the gym, but in a bar/venue I sometimes feel weird wearing nike or "north face" logos. Fact is though, I just like to be comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You're a nut. You have my vote.
You know, sometimes I feel like a nut...
And sometimes, I don't.

Go figure.

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 11-20-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
The squirrel cage fans are great. Much more air than the bladed ones.
I think the squirrel cage fans might be turbines?

And as we all know, turbines are both revolutionary and we all love them! They're a definite win!

But to get good wind flow, they have to spin really fast! Nobody get's a whirring sound in their mics from these at all?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I start sweating my ass off the second I start loading in. Once we get playing, I'm a wet mess (fan or no fan.) I usually look like I climbed out of a pool by the end of a good gig.

Heck, I even sweat just sitting at my desk at work sometimes doing nothing. It's crazy and it sucks.