DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Drummerworld meet up at the LDS thread :)

Hi all,

Please use this thread to announce you're coming to the London Drum Show, & what day. As good as anywhere else, let's arrange to meet up at the Guru stand. Looking through the live stage & masterclass schedules, I'm suggesting a time of 1:50 at the stand on both days, but happy with alternative time suggestions. That way, we can meet up & take a DW forum group shot each day :)

Of course, it would be great to see any of you at any time. I would like to draw your attention to our launch performance at 1:30pm Saturday. There, you'll hear Michele Drees performing on both Classic & Performance range Origin kits.

Anyhow, who's coming along then, & when?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drummerworld meet up at the LDS thread :)

I thought this was a religious thread by the title.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Wouldn't I love to be there....sigh. I envy those who attend. Here's hoping there's video.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Anyhow, who's coming along then, & when?
Thanks to you, I'll be there on Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday all day :)

For those who are coming, I look forward meeting you, you'll find me wherever Andy is wondering about, I am his shadow for two and half days :))
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM

I should be there. Will know for certain by Wednesday. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Kelly Brady
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

I wish I could make it.

Andy, whatever you do, please make sure nothing happens to the 5x14 purpleheart snare with tube lugs that you agreed to custom-build as a special gift to me.

Hoping you'll assume you agreed to do this even though you have no recollection of it because it didn't actually happen,
8Mile
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
you have no recollection of it because it didn't actually happen,
8Mile
I have a recollection - it was around the same time as Andy said he'd build me a gratis ultra transportable Guru Rhythm Traveler replacement kit that sounded good. Andy would have forgotten, he was terribly drunk at the time ;-)

Alas, no travel for me ATM
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Please post pics and videos. Would love to be able to hang with you all face to face over something like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradydrums View Post
I should be there. Will know for certain by Wednesday. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Kelly Brady
Kelly, is someone exhibiting for you this year? Reason I ask, Saturday's sold out completely, & they tend not to make exceptions. If you're represented however, your distributor may be able to swing something. Would be nice to meet you. You can catch me at our stand/booth.

Andy.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I wish I could make it.

Andy, whatever you do, please make sure nothing happens to the 5x14 purpleheart snare with tube lugs that you agreed to custom-build as a special gift to me.

Hoping you'll assume you agreed to do this even though you have no recollection of it because it didn't actually happen,
8Mile
Phew, that was a close call ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I have a recollection - it was around the same time as Andy said he'd build me a gratis ultra transportable Guru Rhythm Traveler replacement kit that sounded good. Andy would have forgotten, he was terribly drunk at the time ;-)

Alas, no travel for me ATM
Hmmm, gratis might be an issue. I know you normally stay away from gear, but would something like this suit you? Our latest baby, with a 12" deep bass drum. Ultra light :)
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Kelly, is someone exhibiting for you this year? Reason I ask, Saturday's sold out completely, & they tend not to make exceptions. If you're represented however, your distributor may be able to swing something. Would be nice to meet you. You can catch me at our stand/booth.

Andy.

Yup, we have a lovely display of goodies courtesy of our fine friends at London Drum Company. Hopefully I'll be joining them. The Brady Drums exhibit will be at booth B5.

Official Brady Drums event invitation for the 2012 London Drum Show:
https://www.facebook.com/events/428244620566531

:)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradydrums View Post
Yup, we have a lovely display of goodies courtesy of our fine friends at London Drum Company. Hopefully I'll be joining them. The Brady Drums exhibit will be at booth B5.

Excellent! I love the London skyline sketch in your invite graphic :) Stop by for a chat :)
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

I wish I could go, but I couldn't make it work this year. Bummer. Hopefully next year. Have a great time!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Hmmm, gratis might be an issue. I know you normally stay away from gear, but would something like this suit you? Our latest baby, with a 12" deep bass drum. Ultra light :)
Nice looking woody kit, Andy. There's a point - how much do the Gurus weigh generally as compared with normal drums?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'll be there on Sunday, will aim to get there for as close to 10am as I can!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Nice looking woody kit, Andy...
Yep... Woody's delighted with it :)

Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Yep... Woody's delighted with it :)

Hahahahaha = classic!!! I love it :) I'm so going to steal that for our FB page :)

Quote:
Nice looking woody kit, Andy. There's a point - how much do the Gurus weigh generally as compared with normal drums?
This specific range Grea, a lot less! The 12" tom weighs 4.5lb, the floor tom c/w legs = 9lb, & bass drum c/w spurs 14.5lb. For anyone wondering just how light that is, go & weigh your own drums (but maybe the Rhythm Traveller is lighter, I don't know, never weighed one). Compared to my Spaun for example, the Guru weighs 40% less, & the spaun is pretty light compared to most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I'll be there on Sunday, will aim to get there for as close to 10am as I can!
Great! I look forward to meeting you again Ben :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
I wish I could go, but I couldn't make it work this year. Bummer. Hopefully next year. Have a great time!
Such a shame mate. Maybe next year (Larry's threatening to come over, but Bo will only come if his excessive riders are satisfied), that's if your referee will allow it ;)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
.There's a point - how much do the Gurus weigh generally as compared with normal drums?
A LOT less Grea... Guru's 12" tom weight only 4.5lb, that's a fraction over 2 kilos, by comparison, my 10" tom (Tama Artstar) weight 9.9 lb, that's 4.5 kilos, it's more than double the weight of the "cappucino" tom; and mine is 2" smaller!!! ...it gives an idea how "super light" these drums are, certainly a bonus when you move your kit around, and that's without the potentially better sounding kit drawn into the equation, I'll say it's what you need... start saving now :)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'll be there of course. I may have to beg, borrow and steal to make it but my ticket is purchased and I've been looking forward to it for some time! Just don't expect me to be able to get the coffee this time (sorry Andy, I can't reciprocate at the moment but maybe next year!).

If anyone's interested, I'll be wandering around in a Joy Division t-shirt most likely. Look for the lost and confused man, 6'2", overweight medium short brown hair and a beard. I like long walks on the beaches and making the acquaintance with red-haired goddesses of the fairer sex. But enough about my last two weeks...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Just don't expect me to be able to get the coffee this time (sorry Andy, I can't reciprocate at the moment but maybe next year!).
Coffee's on me duncan :)

Quote:
it's more than double the weight of the "cappucino" tom; and mine is 2" smaller!!!
Wow, that really is a big difference. TBH, I've never bothered to weigh drums before - never felt the need. As a bit of fun, we've bagged 8 standard thin wall pot metal lugs & 8 Origin lugs, just so visitors can feel the difference on just an 8" tom.

Leaving out early tomorrow. Dean & Alex (Amedia cymbals) are meeting up here, loading all our gear onto my trailer, then heading off to London. I'm sure most visitors don't appreciate that our journey starts 2 days before the show, & preparation 6 months + earlier.

A big bit of news guys, on Saturday morning - 9:30 (1/2 hour before show opens) the drummers from the Opening ceremony of the London Olympics are performing in the street outside the exhibition centre. That's worth seeing I recon. This is going to be a great event!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Renegade

Quote:
This specific range Grea, a lot less! The 12" tom weighs 4.5lb, the floor tom c/w legs = 9lb, & bass drum c/w spurs 14.5lb. For anyone wondering just how light that is, go & weigh your own drums (but maybe the Rhythm Traveller is lighter, I don't know, never weighed one). Compared to my Spaun for example, the Guru weighs 40% less, & the spaun is pretty light compared to most.
How promising - that woody kit sounds like the buzz (that's for Henri :)

Do you ship to the arsehole of the world or are we too insignificant? You can tell me the truth - don't hold back haha. Soundwise, does this one stack up against the other Gurus or is this the Guru Traveller? ;)

If the company ships here, I'll go for it if I can get healthy enough to drum again! I'm not normally one to salivate over drumsets (unless they're owned by Martin) but I've kept a quiet eye on the Gurus ...

Love to start going to some OS events if I can get body and house in some kind of order.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Do you ship to the arsehole of the world or are we too insignificant? You can tell me the truth - don't hold back haha. Soundwise, does this one stack up against the other Gurus or is this the Guru Traveller? ;)

If the company ships here, I'll go for it if I can get healthy enough to drum again! I'm not normally one to salivate over drumsets (unless they're owned by Martin) but I've kept a quiet eye on the Gurus ...

Love to start going to some OS events if I can get body and house in some kind of order.
crap - just visited the random thoughts thread, & heard about your good & bad news. You'll be playing again soon, you have to!

Not the Guru rhythm traveller, certainly not at that price :( It's the most expensive of the Origin series drums. It's super light weight is all about getting it to sound wonderful. The ease of carrying is by default, but a nice "side affect" nevertheless.

Hope you're feeling up to bin bashing soon.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

So I'm sensing that price is the only downside to a Guru kit? Must be nice....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Not the Guru rhythm traveller, certainly not at that price :(
Good! I'm RT'd out (apart from the little 8" tom, which I enjoy). It would be nice to get more rewards for my good efforts and more forgivenness for blundering. When I'm healthy I'll get one of those little beasties.

Hydes are having a closing down sale that apparently will bring their prices somewhat closer to those found in the US (or at least in Perth). I was considering getting a new kit from them but I'm through bargain hunting. Dad was fanatical about bargains and, with help, I cleared the results out of the garage and house - a huge collection of prematurely ruined useless junk that went into a large skip before becoming landfill.

My attitude is now the purchasing equivalent of "Do it once. Do it well".
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
So I'm sensing that price is the only downside to a Guru kit? Must be nice....
Having played several of Andy's kits I can happily say that the price is hardly a 'downside'. I posted in another thread about the relative expense of the Guru kits compared to custom-made high-end manufacturers of other instruments (just look at guitars and basses, that's before we even get into 'Classical' instruments like harps) and the Guru kits read very well on the value equation for what you're getting. If I had the disposable income I would snap one of the kits up in a heartbeat - of that I have no doubt.

That the kits are at the price they are is frankly, remarkable.

The only 'real' downside of stave and steam-bent drums is in regards to their durability on the road compared to ply kits. They are a little more delicate but in all honesty it wouldn't be an issue in the slightest if they're looked after properly and responsibly. Treated with the kind of respect a high-end instrument deserves, they'll easily last several lifetimes.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Coffee's on me duncan :)
Wow, that's cool Andy... I'll have a cappucino :)

Quote:
... I've never bothered to weigh drums before
Me either... :)

Quote:
Touché :)

Quote:
That's my motto too, I bought my last kit in 1989, and it still going strong... never felt the need for a new one, until I joined this forum and discovered Guru drums ...I'm playing them in a couple days... I really hope they sound very very bad :)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I'm sensing that price is the only downside to a Guru kit?
Remember that saying: You get what you pay for. And with Guru drums you actually get _more_ than you pay for - as Duncan has mentioned, Guru drums are underpriced in the end.
(If I had not invested considerable amounts into several el. guitars a few years ago... of which _each_ one was the equivalent of a fine Guru shellkit...)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

So you're saying what I should be sensing is that they're perfect and I just can't afford them :)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So you're saying what I should be sensing is that they're perfect and I just can't afford them :)
Exactly ;-) Provided you like the sound. But as you know you can get about anything made to match your preferences. From a pure quality/ingenuity/manufacturing standard perspective Guru are at the very top. If this is what you'd like to play - get it (once you've saved up).
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I'll be there SAT and SUN...please be sure to stop me if you see me.

Don't know what my schedule will be but, I'll roam as much as I can.

D
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM

I have to say, my schedule is sh*t this year for catching drum shows. I missed the NDF because of gigs (So didn't meet up with a few people AGAIN!!), I'll miss LDS because of traipsing around East Africa for a few weeks. NAMM is a no-no because of band commitments...... I give up.

But, one light at the end of the tunnel is I'm back in SoCal in November for a few weeks doing surf-rock stuff and getting very, very drunk.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with that, but to justify such expenditure, it has to make you smile even years after acquisition, & that's a tough one to judge at the outset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Treated with the kind of respect a high-end instrument deserves, they'll easily last several lifetimes.
Thank you for your kind words Duncan, & exactly! A good classical guitarist wouldn't refuse to buy a beautiful Tanglewood or similar just because it doesn't do well in the back of a truck without a case. I never subscribed to the theory that drums are any less of an acoustic instrument than others. A degree of respect is all that's required, & if you're playing in rough joints, you use a beater kit.

Quote:
never felt the need for a new one, until I joined this forum and discovered Guru drums ...I'm playing them in a couple days... I really hope they sound very very bad :)
And there still is no need Henri, but just in case you're tempted, I'll tune 'em up like a sack of crap especially for you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Remember that saying: You get what you pay for.
Cheers Arky :) Our margins are pathetic compared to most, all in an attempt to inject a degree of affordability.

Quote:
Perfect, hmmmm, only if they really hit that sweet spot inside your heart, & that's rare. Wait for the videos. They'll be the most honest recordings out there. Not as good as playing them in person, but we're putting a lot of effort into getting as close/realistic to room sound as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post

Don't know what my schedule will be but, I'll roam as much as I can.

D
Please roam on over Derek, you'll find a warm welcome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz farrimond View Post

But, one light at the end of the tunnel is I'm back in SoCal in November for a few weeks doing surf-rock stuff and getting very, very drunk.
Wow! Sounds like SoCal is going to more than make up for missing a few shows! :)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's my motto too, I bought my last kit in 1989, and it still going strong... never felt the need for a new one, until I joined this forum and discovered Guru drums ...I'm playing them in a couple days... I really hope they sound very very bad :)
Henri - did you make room for them in your place already?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Phew, that was a close call ;)

.....Wish I could make it across the pond to attend..............please post as many pics as possible so we can feel like we were there....kinda.

That is a beautiful kit............even though the setting is perfect for a pic.........it makes me nervous when I see that work of art sitting on those rocks
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

I might even be forced to borrow a camera. I don't think my collection of film SLRs will do so well on the tube wrapped around my neck...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Saturday.

Will be wearing a black tee with "Pagan Pride" written on in green.

Not sure what time I'll be around stalls, but I'll pop by Guru first thing and see what's happening :)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

I'll be there on Sunday bright and early (traffic permitting) and making a beeline for Guru and Amedia! I'll be spending the day there checking out the sights and sounds, so am happy to meet up.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM

Well, that was fun meeting you guys...

Loud though. Stupid drummers; who'd ever wanna be one?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Good to meet you too mate. I think my ears are bleeding now. You missed the fun when Andy and I decided to play 'volume wars'. Laughs all around.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuka View Post
Will be wearing a black tee with "Pagan Pride" written on in green.
lol - you gotta love musos!