DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default You, then & now. Same guy?

Yesterday, I had a reunion of sorts with some old bandmates from back when I was a wee lad.
A few brews were in order, and during the course of the chatter, I was a little taken aback by the fact that a few of them were listening to/and playing some of the same music that they did back when they were kids and nothing else .They are now all a distinguished grey & 50+. AND they almost mocked my interest in 'other music'.

Now this got me thinking about myself.

I consider my lifetime of 52 years quite a musical journey in itself, and to me its important to have a journey. From rock, pop, blues, R&B, funk, world, experimental, jazz, I've loved and traversed it all, over the decades.

Dont get me wrong, Im still very attached to a lot of music from my past which I love, and still enjoy playing & listening to, but I would consider myself 'under- developed' if I hadnt exposed myself to 'other' music during all these other stages of my life.

Or that there was no difference in musical tastes between the ages of 18 and 'older'.

I know there is a counter view to this and a lot of people say that they love what they love, and it remains a lifelong passion with no room for anything else.

What are your views?

Last edited by aydee; 02-12-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: You, then & now. Same guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
They are now all a distinguished grey & 50+. AND they almost mocked my interest in 'other music'.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, your interest in different style musics simply reflect this, and your insiration and tastes have evolved alonside yourself as a person, you would probably mock some of my interest in certain type of music, perefectly acceptable in my book :)

Quote:
I consider my lifetime of 52 years quite a musical journey in itself, and to me its important to have a journey. From rock, pop, blues, R&B, funk, world, experimental, jazz, I've loved and traversed it all, over the decades.
I feel exactly the same, and these various choices, influences and inspirations had a positive effect on the prespective and approach to my drumming in general terms :)

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, Im still very attached to a lot of music from my past which I love, and still enjoy playing & listening to, but I would consider myself 'under- developed' if I hadnt exposed myself to 'other' music during all these other stages of my life.
I agree, many a time, my experiences from different tastes in music have served me well within my playing, I became a more rounded player, not just in technical terms, but to be able to approach a piece of music with a more anthentic feel within my capabilities as a musician, although, sometimes to "switch" between different style can be a hard task in itself, especially if you haven't played a given style for a very long time, I discovered this in a recent rock jam with fellow friends a few months ago :)

Quote:
Or that there was no difference in my musical tastes between the ages of 18 and 'older'.
Paul Simon said that the music you love when you're 16-18 years old will remain a music that you'll love for the rest of your life :)

Quote:
I know there is a counter view to this and a lot of people say that they love that they love what they love and it remains a lifelong passion with no room for anything else.
True, you can be an "expert" at what you do, and "master" a given style to phenomenal level of musicianship, but the drummers who really influenced my playing always had a very profilic approach to drumming in a wild variety of music :)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
a lot of people say that they love that they love what they love and it remains a lifelong passion with no room for anything else.
I meet players like that all the time. No issues with that, but I believe those that exclude other music forms are really missing out. Even if you're in the one genre camp, an appreciation of other forms can often provide welcome flavour & influence to import into your chosen genre. I suppose that's where I sit. I don't have the breadth of appreciation you have Abe, I'm still quite limited in my musical excursions, so I take flavours from other genres & (in a simplistic way) apply them to my own crap as appropriate (or sometimes not). Regrettably, I'm constrained by my lack of instrument mastery & age/life induced laziness to truly express influences I've picked up along the way.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

I guess that most people get set in their ways and they don't explore as much as others.
When I was a kid I was kind of a misfit because I didn't like the music that my friends liked.
I always went my own way and I didn't flock with the birds so to speak.
Today I have different groups of musical friends that I play different musical styles with.
Some are old friends and some are new friends.
So I guess that I am the "Same Guy"
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
sticks4drums

The two instruments that I have always loved throughout my life have been the piano, and the drums. Growing up as a young man, I loved the music of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. I had every Elton John Album, and listened to them all the time. Luckily Elton had a pretty good drummer in his band as well, Nigel Olsson, so I got a good fix of both. I took piano lessons a few times in my life, but never enough to get over the hump of being able to really play. Just lazy I guess. As I grew older the drums became a bigger part of the equation for me, so in my late teens I latched onto who I thought was the most creative drummer of my teen years. Neil Peart, just did it for me. He was busy, calculated, precise, creative, and had some of the nicest looking kits out there. I put up with Geddy's high voice, just so I could listen to Neil's mastery of the kit. I listened to many other bands growing up, but Elton, and Rush, were my biggest influences.

My dad played the trumpet, and loved the big band music. My brother was actually named after Gene Krupa. I was named after Glen Cambell! :( Maybe that is why I don't like country music to this day! :) I was exposed to both big band and country growing up, because of my parents, but never really latched on to it.

Today, I still love bands that use the piano in there music. I really liked Evanescence when they first came out because of Amy Lee's playing, and my wife and I, went and saw her in concert. She was very good. I still gravitate to bands with great drummers in them like Tool.

I guess my point is, I like what I like, so that is what I play and listen to. I have tried to listen to Jazz, and give it a chance, but all I hear is triplets. I listen to Country and all I hear is twang. Like your voice changes when you become a country star. My one son listens to Rap, and I want to kill myself, every time I hear it. I will say the Big Band still gets my foot a tappin. It is almost automatic. It just happens.

Give me a beautiful grand piano, and a large drum set in a Rock Band, and I am there. That is what I have always liked, and probably what I will like till I die! :)
Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Some people just don't grow in certain areas. I think the best musicians have a need to better themselves...noticeably improve over time. I know some musicians, while they are really good, have stayed at the same level since I've known them. Some guys seem to get worse. Not very many improve quickly. Some improve too slowly for my liking. But most stay static, more or less. I am the same guy, but hopefully improved. It's all about growth, how much, or how little. I am surprised at the amount of adults who stay more or less exactly the same. If I didn't improve, I'd have to slit my wrists.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Some people just don't grow in certain areas. I think the best musicians have a need to better themselves...noticeably improve over time. I know some musicians, while they are really good, have stayed at the same level since I've known them. Some guys seem to get worse. Not very many improve quickly. Some improve too slowly for my liking. But most stay static, more or less. I am the same guy, but hopefully improved. It's all about growth, how much, or how little. I am surprised at the amount of adults who stay more or less exactly the same. If I didn't improve, I'd have to slit my wrists.
I just hope you aren't saying that you have to start playing other forms of music, in order to improve. I am becoming a better Rock drummer, every year, and that is me growing, towards something I like and care about.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Not necessarily Glen, but it helps. As long as you improve yourself as a *whatever style you choose* drummer, then that's good enough for me. It's the guys that clearly are at the same place they were 3 years ago that I don't want to be like. I don't necessarily listen to a huge range of music, but the music I am passionate about, I keep trying to improve at. If I feel I can't improve any more at what I do....I'm not sure if that's even possible.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Give me a beautiful grand piano... That is what I have always liked, and probably what I will like till I die! :)
Just for you then Glen... :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXOAx...eature=related
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Not necessarily Glen, but it helps. As long as you improve yourself as a *whatever style you choose* drummer, then that's good enough for me. It's the guys that clearly are at the same place they were 3 years ago that I don't want to be like. I don't necessarily listen to a huge range of music, but the music I am passionate about, I keep trying to improve at. If I feel I can't improve any more at what I do....I'm not sure if that's even possible.
Glad you clarified. I don't like this evolutionary ladder that some guys like to put you on. You start out playing country, then when you get better, pop. Go on to hard rock. When you mature a bit you will do some swing, then end up at Jazz. You and I can probably play the music we like, and keep getting better at it, until the day we die. That will be just great for us. I still have a long way to go to be like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, and Danny Carey. I may never get there, but it gives me more than I need to work on. :)

Last edited by sticks4drums; 02-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I have to be honest. All the drama and trying to cry, ruined it for me. Maybe if I didn't have to see her face.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have to be honest. All the drama and trying to cry, ruined it for me.
By "drama & trying to cry", read: feel, emotion, immersion, deep connection. Wow, you have a very clinical outlook for a sensitive guy.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
By drama & trying to cry, read: feel, emotion, immersion, deep connection. Wow, you have a very clinical outlook for a sensitive guy.
Come on! I was being honest. She kept squeezing her eye lids to get some water out. She just started the piece. At least take some time to get emotional.

You have to let me be honest. Just how I felt. You see it one way, and I see it another. That is ok right? :(
Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I had this very conversation with my Uncle some years ago. I have always tended to like what was popular at the time, even disco because I liked to dance. Today it's a little different. My uncle, up until the time we were speaking and until he died, he liked what he called Jazz which to me was 40's big band. That's all he liked and all he listened to.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
You have to let me be honest. Just how I felt. You see it one way, and I see it another....
Is this one any better? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b3ZZywQvg
Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't care if your listening choices never change, as long as what and how you play improves. Its all about the playing.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Well it did get my feet a tap'n.

This is more what I am talking about.

http://vimeo.com/36098191
Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
I don't care if your listening choices never change, as long as what and how you play improves. Its all about the playing.
I totally agree with this! :)
Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Glad you clarified. I don't like this evolutionary latter that some guys like to put you on. You start out playing country, then when you get better, pop. Go on to hard rock. When you mature a bit you will do some swing, then end up at Jazz. You and I can probably play the music we like, and keep getting better at it, until the day we die. That will be just great for us. I still have a long way to go to be like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, and Danny Carey. I may never get there, but it gives me more than I need to work on. :)
I agree... I don't view it necessarily as evolution as much as cross training that aids ones overall development as a musician... although I admit I'm enough of a snob to believe that some genres are superior to others, for any number of reasons, mostly cerebral. I certainly will never go with any contention that claims best is what produces enough emotion to create a kinetic reaction with the crowd, because even the Hey Song can do that at a basketball game. For example, I doubt few people will ever tap their foot to Webern's pioneering minimalism, but it passes any number of high judgment criteria, and must be allowed to remain great in of itself regardless of anyone's lack of reaction to it.

However, I've always believed that a musician can learn from anything considered in that genre to be of at least good quality. Heck, look at my own present situation. Fate has recently taken me towards a country adventure. But it's Nashville, meaning it's the best of that genre...and the guys I'm with could work in any number of classifications if they so desired. In fact, the violinist I play with now has chops and musicianship on a level comparable to any good working classical musician or the great folk musicians I heard in Romania. Then you notice there is so much crossing over here, that one could easily see work with a solid Nashville touring outfit morphing into Taylor Swift or the American Idol crowd. Heck, even Elton John records here. I was also recently surprised to learn that my primo jazz snob father had worked with Roy Clark, Crystal Gayle, Glen Campbell, Charley Pride and many others. So in those instances, you're certainly right that the evolution premise is flawed.

The only styles I don't see in that mix for me are metal and punk because I just don't feel them, although I thought about metal for a quick minute when Black Dahlia Murder once asked if I wanted to audition.

But anyway...sorry to deviate from the theme of mid career reflection...Carry on, and in some instance around 2042, I will search this thread and add a more relevant post.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
sticks4drums

Well I can leave this forum now, because Matt agreed with me on something! :) :) :) :)
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 PM
sticks4drums

I'm not really leaving! Don't get all excited. It just really felt good! Thanks Matt.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You see it one way, and I see it another. That is ok right? :(
Of course it is, & no need to get upset.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Of course it is, & no need to get upset.
I no Upset. I happy. I grew up with a mother that was a drama Queen. Everything was over the top. Probably why I tend to do that as well. I guess I have a hard time when I see things like that Piano player. It triggers a negative reaction in me because of who I grew up with.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have a friend who only listens to Tom Petty. I've heard him play nothing else. He doesn't play a lot of music, but when he does, it's always Tom Petty. This guy is quirky though: he's 34, he wears black jeans and only black jeans each and everyday of his life, he only drinks IPA, he's never been swimming, he's never had a driver's license and I've never seen him wear a hat. I've known this guy over a decade.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I have a friend who only listens to Tom Petty. I've heard him play nothing else. He doesn't play a lot of music, but when he does, it's always Tom Petty. This guy is quirky though: he's 34, he wears black jeans and only black jeans each and everyday of his life, he only drinks IPA, he's never been swimming, he's never had a driver's license and I've never seen him wear a hat. I've known this guy over a decade.

I know this guy! : )

Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Definitely not the "same guy". Deaf in one ear now (surgury gone bad) mostly deaf in the other has left me no chance of ever playing in a band again.I have to watch movies at home with captioning for the hearing impaired. Has it stopped my drumming? No way,,
Old 02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

I've had similar conversations before. Perhaps even on this forum.

I know some people (non-musicians) who honestly don't listen to anything outside of the same bands/albums they listened to when they were 18. They are forever stuck on their past. Others constantly show the need to that they are hip and only listen to the latest thing.

I'm all over. I'm constantly searching the net for new and interesting bands from all over the world. I do spent much of my time listening to bands I had no clue existed a few years ago.
but at the same time, I also listen to the same albums I had as a kid. And then I'm also often discovering bands/albums from prior eras that I missed the first time around.

But at the end of the day, I like what I like, and don't what I don't.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a music junkie ... so, in that sense, yeah, I'm that same guy.
My "first" cover songs, were Cream, Deep Purple, Led Zepp., Grand Funk, Alice Cooper ... but at the same time, I was listening to J. Tull, King Crimson, Creedence, Hendrix .... and as new bands and music showed up .... I followed. Mahavishnu Orchestra was a big turning point, for me. So was Frank Zappa. And so, here I am ... still spinning a Zepp. CD once in a while ... but also spinning John Zorn .... or Simone Sou. Diversity ... what a concept !!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

For me, there is only a tiny fraction of resemblance.

I was raised and Jazz music of the 20's - 40's and I still listen to it to this day.

Other than that from about the 1976 - 1982 it was all Rock and some Soul.

Around 1982 I purchased the Tower of Power record "Back To Oakland" and everything changed from then on. I took a deeper dive into Rufus/Chaka Khan (especially with John Robinson).

From there I went deep, deep, deep into Jazz and have never came back from there. The Jazz music from the 1920's on up until today keeps me inspired to play.

I can still enjoy listening to some Rock but can't even remotely begin to want to play it - nor could I any longer. I've lost all of that ability to do that genre any justice on a set of drums.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

same as always, no need to change anything
Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have to be honest. All the drama and trying to cry, ruined it for me. Maybe if I didn't have to see her face.
I really don't think she was trying to cry. I've pulled some pretty cringe-worthy faces when I'm really feeling what I'm playing and sometimes jamming my eyes shut does happen, but the trick is not to care what people think and enjoy it, otherwise the music can't "take you". It's fairly involuntary when it does..

I remember once playing a gig like that, and a "friend" came up to me afterwards who I never felt was particularly sensitive to music, and he said "why did you keep pulling faces, did you keep making mistakes?" .... I just laughed it off.

Some people say it's pretentious - but it's only pretentious if you're pretending (duh), and I seriously doubt she is pretending.

EDIT: To get back on topic: I've recently got into classical music; specifically when it is featuring violin, partly because I've just taken up violin (and piano). I must be insane starting at this age but screw it, worth a try! I've found it is so nice to listen to at work with sound isolating IEMs to drown out all the gossip in the office.

Last edited by Mark_S; 02-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I have eclectic tastes and have been that way for decades so it's easiest to talk about the genres I don't care for - C&W, modern metal, punk, thrash, hip hop, techno (of the doof variety). There are particular songs in all of those genres that I enjoy but generally, no.

There are many ways to live a life - some people stay in the same village / town / suburb all their lives. Some are itinerant all their lives. It depends on whether you travel on the outside or the inside (or not at all).

Nothing wrong with being a specialist, sticking to their one domain ... though if digging deeper isn't part of the equation then it's just about repeating a particular emotional effect, which can be a waste of life like Harry Potter's Mirror of Erised.

Generally, when people only like one genre I think of them as people who generally don't like music. That's okay too - there's no law against being a miserable, soulless bore :)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Well it did get my feet a tap'n.

This is more what I am talking about.

http://vimeo.com/36098191
Yes, It's really good, I'm a fan of Amy :)

Now this just prove Aydee 1st paragraph in the OP, the music which inspire any of us, is different from one individual to another, you didn't really appreciate Hiromi's performance with the same feel and emetion as I did, or Andy did, when I first watched this video of Hiromi, I nearly cried myself, it's so... err emotional for me, and no, I don't think for a minute that she's trying to cry, it's a genuine emotion that's she's feeling about this piece of music, but don't read too much on my feelings, I know I'm a big softy guy :)

But seriously, when I read your comments about you liking a grand piano performance, for me, when I put the link for you to listen, I really thought you would enjoy it, so it shows that everyone can be radically different when it comes to tastes and styles of music, as Aydee said "they almost mocked my interest in 'other music' "

At the end of the day, it's all good, it's what makes you happy and inspires you as a musician that will make the difference. lol
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Generally, when people only like one genre I think of them as people who generally don't like music. That's okay too - there's no law against being a miserable, soulless bore :)
A good point Pol. So, certainly from my playing POV, you've confirmed what I already suspected ;) Deep down, I'm pretty sure I do bore myself, so something else must be keeping my playing bearable.

Got it, delusion :)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

I started music in The Beatles era and always kept kind of current.

I appreciate a lot of music and I like a wide variety.

I also hate a lot of "music".

I'm not really stuck in any decade. In my top 20 all time songs are The Kinks You Really Got Me and Jane's Addiction Stealing. That spans a few generations.

And, the piano is an awesome instrument. That's one thing in life I would have done diferently. I would have learned to play.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A good point Pol. So, certainly from my playing POV, you've confirmed what I already suspected ;) Deep down, I'm pretty sure I do bore myself, so something else must be keeping my playing bearable.

Got it, delusion :)
Andy, I think of it as aural airbrushing, where you kind of aurally squint and then our playing can sound pretty damn good :) ... which of course is motivating.

The reason why players like you and I stick to certain genres is certainly not a matter of being musically narrow-minded so much as narrow-techniqued.

I sometime joke that I have about three beats and three fills that I apply to just about everything, just bending them around to fit the music. It's a "joke" because, really, it's at least five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
I also hate a lot of "music".
Interesting point. I try hard not to think of it as "hate" because all music is put out there for our soul food ...

... just that some things we find hard to digest - or tolerate.

I like to think in terms of time limits ... there's some music I can listen to for hours and some that I can only enjoy for a few bars before it becomes grating. In my early-ish teens that metal guitar sound was almost compulsory for me. Now I find it gets irritating fast, unless it's very raw / bluesy / grungy. I completely don't relate to glossy, reverbed, compressed, generally coiffed and heavily produced metal guitar sounds.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
The reason why players like you and I stick to certain genres is certainly not a matter of being musically narrow-minded so much as narrow-techniqued.
You can count me in in that club of yours guys :)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 AM

When Bruford made a comment about this(can't remember exact words), I was kinda put off, like, "oh you're gonna be a snootie jazzer now", but I'm there myself at this point, and I totally get it. It's just completely natural as you raise your experience and execution, in any craft, to expand. Doesn't mean you have to be any less of a rocker, rather, just take it to a higher expression, but just as vital. lots of players doing that...i have now used four words that start with ex-.

I read the book, "The Law of Attraction" a few years ago. I really liked it but it was hard to find my place because they went over the same stuff many times. However they gave the best reason I've heard for why life is eternal(not that I know)-"for every desire that's fulfilled, a new one is born". That works on every level for me, but applies very aptly to this O.P. I believe.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
KIS, you're so modest with your self-deflating humor. I do that a lot too. That's why I get a chuckle out of it.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
KIS, you're so modest with your self-deflating humor. I do that a lot too. That's why I get a chuckle out of it.
I genuinely don't see it as humour, more as reality. Back in the day, I was regarded as a reasonably good rock player. I earned my living at it for a few years, & there was no shortage of work, so that sort of supported the view. After a couple of decades, I come back into it (although on a totally different basis), & find the game has moved on hugely. Not only has the general skill level increased, but my access to examples of playing from others has been transformed via the internet. Massive wake up call! Not only am I rusty, lazy, & of mediocre talent this time out, but I realise I was never that good back in the day. There was a time when I could sit comfortably on the ladder by being the guy who kept good time, played with a strong dynamic, had a good instrument sound, & was viewed as being 100% reliable. Really, that was enough back then, but not now. Other players & employers didn't seem to mind that I had a limited repertoire, so long as I was reliably good at what I did.

I look around now at the talent out there, & the talent within the cyber walls of this forum, & I know my place. The good thing is, I'm happy with that. I'm content in my shell. I do have playing frustrations though. Not because I'm deluded enough to aspire to chops heaven, but because my lack of technical prowess stifles my ability to express myself. I could do something about that, & probably will, in small doses, but age & life's time consumption will greatly temper any progress to a trickle.

So here I am, Andy the reliable weekend warrior who mostly gets the job done. A guy who can knock out a few beats, nothing more, nothing less, & that's just fine with me.

I will give some credence to the benefit of putting yourself down though. On the rare occasion you exceed your own expectations, it sure feels good :)